Heart Broke Senior

SpencerHessman

Hello my name is Spencer Hessman,

I am a senior wrestler for Franklin Community. At sectionals I missed weight but it was not my fault. Before official weigh ins I had made weight twice on the scale weighing 161.9 (witnessed by another teams coach). Just before weigh ins a referee was jumping around on the scale trying to humor a coach. This I believe tampered the scale and unfortunately I was one of the first to weigh in. I weighed in up to half a pound heavier than what I was previously (after changing to lighter underwear). There were obvious problems with the scale such as jumping around and it registering up to 34 pounds with no one on it. After the obvious problems it was turned on and off and eventually re-calibrated its self. I did make weight after the last person weighed in but the referees said I had my chance.

I am going to appeal tomorrow, and I hope to receive the chance to be able to wrestle at regionals. I ask and beg that all wrestlers, fans, and parents pray that my appeal comes through and allows me to wrestle. Please put yourself in my shoes and wrestling parents in my father's shoes. Saturday was the worse day of my life, I have a strong passion for wrestling and have competed since I could walk.  It would be a shame if my wrestling career ends like this.

- Spencer Hessman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good luck with the appeal.  i don't understand why you were not given a second chance to weigh in.  i remember a couple times where i had to do a little extra running to make it and they let me go at the end.  i don't know how they go about weigh ins now.

good luck with the appeal.  i don't understand why you were not given a second chance to weigh in.  i remember a couple times where i had to do a little extra running to make it and they let me go at the end.  i don't know how they go about weigh ins now.

Id assume you could atleast challenge the scale and weigh on another one, i had to once..

And good luck, hope it all works out

good luck with the appeal.  i don't understand why you were not given a second chance to weigh in.  i remember a couple times where i had to do a little extra running to make it and they let me go at the end.  i don't know how they go about weigh ins now.

It's been about 10 years since you could "run around."  Now you have to weigh in immediately at the announced weight.  If you miss, you miss.  You can check on other scales being used for the event, but that's it.  You're done immediately.

I hope there's enough evidence to support Spencer's claims and a provision can be made for him to wrestle at regional.  I have no idea how it would work, though, since he'd be put in a pig-tail with the 4th place kid logically.  If he'd win, he'd wrestle the other sectional's champ--meaning a very tough kid could get put out in an unfair situation.  This is a no-win situation.

Sorry to hear you missed weight Spencer. Did anyone else miss weight on that scale? If everyone else could make weight on the tampered scale then you probably should have also. This time of year no room for exceuses. Hopefully you can make weight for Wed. night at team regionals.

Sorry to hear you missed weight Spencer. Did anyone else miss weight on that scale? If everyone else could make weight on the tampered scale then you probably should have also. This time of year no room for exceuses. Hopefully you can make weight for Wed. night at team regionals.

Come on. Don't sugar coat it. Just come right out and say you think  he is lying about what happened.

Never said he was lying about what happened. I am saying if he missed weight on the scale because of a malfunction why didnt other kids.

I believe Spencer said that they turned it off, then back on, allowing it to recalibrate. Others following him wouldn't have been affected. He also said that he weighed in at the last and made it, but not allowed to count it according to the ref.

Coach Hasseman has NEVER had a wrestler miss weight in the individual state tournament, and there is no other more disciplined wrestler on that team than Spencer.

I have watched this young man wrestle since he was in 6th grade. I realize there are kids out there who "make excuses".  Spencer is not one of them . . .

The Castle Regional had an issue similar to this a few years ago where a kid claimed he was on weight but missed it during weigh ins and said the scale was tampered with. Only thing different is they called to the State immediately and challenged it and eventually won.  So there is still hope for this young man to get his second chance. Hope it happens, I hate seeing somebodys season and career end like this. Note to all present and future wrestlers, always be at least a half pound under prior to weigh ins. You never know when stuff like this will happen.  Good Luck Spencer!

/

There were obvious problems with the scale. A referee turned it in on and off and it eventually recalibrated, luckily for our 120 because he also would have missed weight. Instantly after weigh ins 10 minutes later I was underweight again. Thats after weighing 162.4 on my final weigh in.

The Castle Regional had an issue similar to this a few years ago where a kid claimed he was on weight but missed it during weigh ins and said the scale was tampered with. Only thing different is they called to the State immediately and challenged it and eventually won.  So there is still hope for this young man to get his second chance. Hope it happens, I hate seeing somebodys season and career end like this. Note to all present and future wrestlers, always be at least a half pound under prior to weigh ins. You never know when stuff like this will happen.  Good Luck Spencer!

Exactly - they should have taken care of this immediately, just like they did at Castle that day.  I do feel sorry for him, but his Coach should have demanded that he get to be reweighed as soon as it became apparent that there was an issue with the scale.

Yes I weighed over on the heavy scale. And then on the scale i was under on i missed weight do to the early malfunction

Ouch.  I am not sure that is going to help your case.  I will hope for the best for you, but this does not sound good.

I do know that it was contested as soon as Spencer's coach was made aware of what was happening however the commisisoner wasn't immediately available. And Spencer is right, he was one of the first to weigh in officially. I also know that other wrestlers weighed heavier between the check weight and the official weight on the same scale with no cause, my son being one of them. Fortunately he was still under. Spencer is an excellent leader and showed great maturity by leading the Franklin wrestlers for warm-ups and watching each and every match even after this had happened. He is an outstanding young man no matter what the decision turns out to be.

Spencer was 3 tenths under on his home scales at 6:30 am he get to Mooresville and checks his weight on both scales.He has done this for years. He was two tenths under on the light scale and one tenth over on the heavy scale. Anyone that has cut weight goes with the light scale.  There is never two scales the same weight in the weigh in room . When he stepped on the scale there were other coaches and wrestlers  that seen him make weight in  the pre weigh in checks. Spencer stayed in the room and did no running due to the scale saying he was on weight. In the mean time the light scale got messed up. Spencer was one of the first groups to weigh in on  the light scale and  it messed up showing a half pound gain. He had to go over to the heavy scale which he knew he was 1 tenth over. After Spencers 160 class weighed  in,  they unplugged the light scale scale and plugged it in and it  recalibrated he got on the scale again and he was 2 tenths under.But his weight class was closed.  If we could go back and say all our wrestlers need to make weight on the heavy scales  we would but we have never had this  happen to us before. Spencer has always made weight. This is why he was the only one not to make weight do to them unplugging the scale recalibrating. Any one that has coached or wrestled can see how this could have happened. As a father I want to throw that scale a mile and scream at the world. I look forward to my son wrestling.  I am proud of my son and the young man that his has become I just hope he gets to go out on his own terms not by a electronic malfuntion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.