Wrestlers yelling at Refs?

P14HS

During a few of the matches this weekend some wrestlers didn't agree with the calls made, and "verbally assaulted" the referees.  I think that every wrestler should just leave the arguing to the coaches...I just wanted to know, what would coaches do if their kids yelled at the ref?  I saw this at Sectionals a few times, and I want to know what everybody's view is on it.

Can't a wrestler be DQ'd for that? I can understand the looking at the coach with a WTH look but you are there to wrestle the coach is there to coach and stand up for the wrestler. I aalso understand people get emotional but there still needs to be composure.

Can't a wrestler be DQ'd for that? I can understand the looking at the coach with a WTH look but you are there to wrestle the coach is there to coach and stand up for the wrestler. I aalso understand people get emotional but there still needs to be composure.

That was my thought but most refs just play it off

Every coach I ever had would have killed us, run us until, he got tired, kicked us off the team, and barred our future off spring from attending school in the county he worked in for even speaking to a ref.  And they would have done it in that exact order. 

Refs are human and they can make mistakes or seem to, to some. So if you want to yell and complain about it, just be ready to deal with the ramifications. Just like alot of a ref's calls are his judgement, he might be nice and tell you to be quite about a call or he might tell you the match is over...

Refs are human and they can make mistakes or seem to, to some. So if you want to yell and complain about it, just be ready to deal with the ramifications. Just like alot of a ref's calls are his judgement, he might be nice and tell you to be quite about a call or he might tell you the match is over...

90% of the experienced, qualified officials would issue an immediate unsportsmanlike conduct for a first offense of this, but wouldn't issue a flagrant unless it was persistent and/or inappropriate language, etc. 

If we are doing our jobs as coaches this should not happen.  The best life lesson you can teach through the sports of wrestling is discipline, if you are allowing your wrestlers to yell at the refs, you are not teaching this lesson.  I understand that wrestling is an emoional sport and in the heat of the battle sometimes things are said.  However, if you sit back and alowyour wrestler to be disrespectful, you are doing them a disservice in the long run.  It is important for a coach to make better people, not just better wrestlers.

I think that it is the job of the coach to deal with bad calls and it is the wrestlers job to wrestle.  The only time a wrestler shoud say anything to an official is if the official has asked the wrestler a question and that is it.  There is never a circumstance that a wrestler should ever question the official.

90% of the experienced, qualified officials would issue an immediate unsportsmanlike conduct for a first offense of this, but wouldn't issue a flagrant unless it was persistent and/or inappropriate language, etc. 

For the record, I agree with Hornet Coach's comment following this quote 100%  There is only one appropriate response to this situation and Maligned hit it.  In the few instances I have seen like this the coach actually thanked the official when it was over b/c the kid disrespected the coach the same way.  If the education system and families are preparing young men like they should we are ultimately preparing them for a job (and to lead a family).  If they don't learn how to handle emotions and respect authority then what are we really preparing them for...?

That should have been the call, and the coach should be handling this  as well. Hopefully whoever did this grows up and doesn't do this anymore.

I saw this happen at a tournament this year.  The REF awarded a take down and the kid who was taken down, yelled at him that it was not a take down.  The REF stopped the match, disqualified the kind and ended his tournament early.  Handled appropiatley, there should be ZERO tolerance.

It's hard enough to keep good refs as it is without allowing punks to run their mouths at the officials.  If I was head coach, or the official, it would happen only once.  I would rather coach one average wrestler that has integrity and a sense of sportsmanship, than a whole team of state champs that show their ass.  If it was my child, he would be removed from the match instantly.

I never even spoke to the refs, i just used hand signal (up, down, neutral, or differ) ;)

I put my trust in my coach to argue anything that he thought was bogus. No reason use valuable air during the match to speak when you could just shut up and catch your breath

Although I agree with that, you have to admit it's frustrating when a high-stake match is decided by a bad call from a ref.

It is indeed i will admit. but what can yah do? I tell my kids dont leave it in the hands of the ref, take the other guy out of it so it doesnt have to come down to that close call.

I never even spoke to the refs, i just used hand signal (up, down, neutral, or differ) ;)

I put my trust in my coach to argue anything that he thought was bogus. No reason use valuable air during the match to speak when you could just shut up and catch your breath

I love this. any wrestler knows anytime the match gets stopped for ANY REASON you need to take that time and catch your breathe. dont waste energy that ur coach can afford to use cuz hes just sitting in the chair..lol..If you have the energy to argue, then that means you have plenty enuff energy left to win the match. there was times when i literally crawled off the mat. wins and losses.

I think it is totally unacceptable! I witnessed this at our regionals last weekend and was appalled. The ref didnt penalize the kid for it even after it happened a second time. I was ready to throw the kid out myself! My son better hope he never displays any acts of unsportsman like conduct because I will pull him out of a match myself, but I have faith the coach would do that before I got the chance lol.

I can't stand when a wrestler questions the ref, let alone yells at him. There are coaches for that. Bad call or not, be a gentlemen (or lady) above all else. Who knows, maybe respecting the ref will earn you a make-up call in the end  ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.