Multiple Mat finals.

I wanted to generate some conversation on this trend.  Midlands does a multi mat finals and many sectionals, regionals and Semi-States do as well.  What are some pros/cons on this idea? 

Keep fan base for entire finals... parents and fans of third/fifth place finishers stay to watch

Day ends quicker.... good for referees and fans

What else do you think about this trend.... does it lessen the spotlight for champions? 

Dude

I think if you talk to most kids who will be in finals they love the spotlight.  Isn't it about the kids and making it seem like a special moment to be a conference, sectional, regional or semi-state champ?  Of course Midlands is a big tournament as well and they have three mats going on in the finals.  Tough call on this one dude!!!  I would say coaches who like one mat finals have put in lots of time and want to enjoy the moment and will have several kids in finals and coaches who want to speed things up only have to wait around for thier third/fifth place ribbons and one mat finals keeps them away from their honey dos at home. 

Seems as if we are always in a hurry to get things done and sometimes don't stop to enjoy the moment.  I for one am enjoying my coffee this morning!!!

Am I wrong!!!???

Nothing is better than upsetting or beating a tough opponent and having the entire gym looking at you after you win that sectional or regional. Wrestlers dont get enough attention as it is. Take those types of moments away and thats just one less thing wrestlers get. I think multi- matt is effective in speeding it up and all that but IMO it's worth that extra time.

The IHSAA State tournament does the finals right and it works for that venue/Tournament.  Most people get into every match of the Finals because that is the end of the road the climax to the whole season.

Tournaments prior to the Finals are just part of the journey, the top 4 move on, so the multi mat finals can work for those tourneys.  Also I think the multi-mat finals work for Large Tournaments pulling from a lot of regions like the Midlands, because the support for wrestlers/teams is more diffuse, not as intimate a state final -- or National Finals.

So only 14 kids in the state get to enjoy that type of moment?  Seems to me if we want to increase our numbers in the sport we should have more opportunites for kids to be showcased... some schools have multiple gyms so I suggest in basketball we have multiple games going on at once... afterall the semi-final rounds are just the journey to the big dance. 

So only 14 kids in the state get to enjoy that type of moment?  Seems to me if we want to increase our numbers in the sport we should have more opportunites for kids to be showcased... some schools have multiple gyms so I suggest in basketball we have multiple games going on at once... afterall the semi-final rounds are just the journey to the big dance. 

28 kids...

It seems like more and more places are going away from one mat finals. Gotta speed up, speed up, speed up!

For local tournaments and early rounds (sectionals, regionals) One way to get around this is to lay out as many mats as possible for the early rounds and stick to the time schedule. Wrestles Conso's on multiple mats and go first mat available.

Stick to one mat for the finals.

Off subject, I wish the IHSAA would do wrestle backs.

You have a bad match in round 1....and your done. Here is one exmaple, Molloy loses rd1 his freshman year and couldve wrestled back for 3rd or 2nd.

So you look at his Bio it shows SQ (9th) and State Champ (10th)

With the exception of the state finals, I have never seen a tournament in the last 25 years where the finals are showcased by themselves.  It used to be that the championship round was done on one mat by itself but it has been a long time (early 80s).  I have only been to a couple different sectionals and regionals because I tend to go the same one every year.  Do some sectional and regionals around the state still showcase the finals after the consolation rounds?  If so, I'm jealous.  All eyes should be on the championship mat period.  These wrestlers deserve it.  I just thought that was a thing of the past.

Peru showcases all dual meets at home under a spot light in the Tiger Den (aux gym).

The Sectionals and Regionals are moved to the Tig-Arena (bigger, newer gym) and the finals are all under one spot light in the middle. 

The custodian always makes sure not to turn on the overhead gym lights until the heavyweights are done for a few minutes, and they have received their medals and wall chart. He is a former wrestling dad and gets it.  Nothing worse than the heavy's finishing the final match of the day and everybody is making noise packing up and heading out before they are done, stomping down the bleacher stairs loudly while the two kids are fighting it out for medal.  Makes me want to stand up and yell  "sit the hell down until they are done!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.