Things coaches say...

formerwrestler

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[When a pin is imminent] "Stop counting lights!"

And one I had to say a couple of years ago at a JV meet: kid-"I don't know what went wrong." me-"What went wrong? Well usually you move your feet when you shoot."

I saw a coach who thought his kid was getting choked out and he said to the ref. after saying watch his neck multiple times and the ref finally said, "fine, ill take him off his back" and the coach replied with "I'd rather have him off his back then choked out!" and the ref took offense to that and took a team point off. then the coach said "well whoopdeedoo" and then the ref said "your out of here," and the coach said "no im not"

When I was still in Ohio I was working the Toledo City League Championships which at that time was pretty good wrestling. They had hired a new referee who was a state champ or runner-up if I recall. Great wrestler, but not ready for that level of competition at that point in his career. In the finals he called a takedown where both guys were WAY out of bounds.  The coach of the kid who gave up the takedown went to the bench and said...

"Can you penalize me for what I'm thinking?

Ref "No"

Coach "Good 'cause I think that call sucked"

When I was still in Ohio I was working the Toledo City League Championships which at that time was pretty good wrestling. They had hired a new referee who was a state champ or runner-up if I recall. Great wrestler, but not ready for that level of competition at that point in his career. In the finals he called a takedown where both guys were WAY out of bounds.  The coach of the kid who gave up the takedown went to the bench and said...

"Can you penalize me for what I'm thinking?

Ref "No"

Coach "Good 'cause I think that call sucked"

I am going to have to add that to my arsenal.

While coaching a freestyle match with another Findlay alum as the referee.  My wrestler was very close to getting a turn in which with my professional expertise and 20/20 vision thought he broke 90 degrees.  I yelled to the said referee, "Do you need a protractor?"  He looked at me and laughed.

He is not stalling, he is doing everything he knows...

Coach to the ref, "How do you spell your name?"  Ref, "R-e-f."  Coach, "Just like you referee!  With no 'i's'!"

College coach talking to a kid that was cutting a ton of weight, quit the team, binged on mom's cooking for two weeks and came back to the team...  Coach, "J/C son, are you awake or are you so fat you can't open your eyes?!  You look like you got stung by a bee!"  ;D

Coach to ref who just called a bite...  Coach, "I have never heard of a kid getting kicked out for licking someone!"  Ref, "Coach look at these teeth marks..."  Coach later, "You know my kid is cutting a lot of weight..."  :o

One team is clearly going to win a hotly contested dual meet and the student section starts chanting, "maybe next year!"  The losing team's students answer, "We'll be in college!"  Winning team had a very poor graduation rate  :-*

A football team gives up the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth and the game is out of hand.  The losing team's student section chants as the p.a.t. is good, "we passed ISTEP!"  Another academic school losing to a not so briliant group.

a coach I know has a habit of saying "dont just lie there"  he finally got an this answer from a kid after the kid got pinned  " Coach, I just got tired and needed a 3 second break!"  The wrestler then recieved a two week break and missed 4 meets. Lesson learned!!

In practice after watching this good wrestler slack off for half the practice, the coach yells out to him, "I don't know how good your mommy told you you are, but she was wrong, now get to practicing. "

And just a couple of weeks ago, I was coaching my youngest son in his finals match. They were wrestling right in front of me and my son was not moving at all on bottom. So I told the ref to hit him with stalling. So the ref looked at me and said " great idea "and he did. Then I looked at my son and said look Justice, you just got called for stalling. I absolutely loved the look on justices face!

Back in 1983, our coach (who is wearing his typical loose fitting mylon shorts) was in the middle of a typical overly thorough instruction session on the proper sit out position, our coach points out "you all are getting stuck with your left leg pointing to 12 and your right pointing to 3".  At that moment our varsity 167 chimed in "coach, from here it looks like 3 o'clock and 10 seconds".

That was the ONLY time I ever recall that particular coach being speechless. 

at about midway through sectional a couuple years back, while coach was trying to get a bite to eat & had one of his wrestlers coming up for a match, he said "hold this for me"....so I held his half eaten sandwitch with my blood stained hands until that match was over,,,,

ff

This wasn't from a coach, but I will never forget at the northmont regional. Our 189 (fishers) was wrestling northmont in the finals, and a northmont Dad just yelled out "Don't let d'em city boys beat you!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.