Things coaches say...

formerwrestler

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During a match, I heard a coach say " Well, if your gonna do that, might as well raise your arm an roll over "  as the coach was turning away as the kid didn't listen to previous instructions.  The coach turned back to watch only 3 seconds later as the whistles goes off with a pin called.  I heard him ask his asst. coach what happened, asst. coach said " he listened finally ".  Was truly funny an little saddening also, but mostly funny.

When yelling instructions to go to the left, the wrestler goes to the right I have heard some coaches yell "NO!  The other left!"  Some people still get a chuckle out of that one.

Gotta admit, I have done this one!  Kids seem to get confused on right & left during the heat of the battle.

"we're practicing today until someone quits"...someone actually quit that day

"Cross face! Cross face! (awkward moment when everything goes silent and you hear our coach scream)  RIP HIS FACE OFF!!!!!!!!"...penalized 1 team point

(motivational speech during practice relating adversity to success.  Actual serious moment) " Do you know ____(olympic champ)__?  Well did you know his first matched literally crapped all over himself during the match?  Do you think he quit? NO!!! he got cleaned up and 5 minutes later he went out in a new singlet and finished the match!  That's how winners are made!!!"

Coach to his heavyweight wrestler - "Pummel inside! Pummel inside"  Wrestler gets double overhooked, tossed and pinned.

Coach to his heavyweight wrestler after the match - "What are you doing tying up with a big strong kid like that?"

At a tournament this yr a coached yelled " Stop wrestling like the 5-6 yr olds and stay tight like peanut butter and not loose like jelly. As the coach began to yell the crowd became silent it was a great moment.

Also an offical yelled at our coach one match. Coach you need to sit down and be quiet or I am calling your father.

At an Awards program in my youth (while I was still in college), I was addressing the group about the differences my team found out (this was the first junior high team ever at our school).  I had this speech all written out ahead of time, but maybe I should have someone proofread it for me?  I told the people  that I had to explain to the kids that wrestling had no goal posts, wrestling had no bats, wrestling had no baskets, in fact "Wrestlers have no balls".  Momentary pause and then it went wild!  I wanted to crawl under a rock.  My youngest brother was there and he thought the best part was watching a female friend of his explaining what happened to other females at the program.  Fortunately people had a sense of humor!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.