Tyler Hupp Indian Creek

cradlesr4babies

Has anyone heard his status for the rest of the season due to being accused of biting the South Dearborn wrestler in the first round this past weekend and being DQ'd for flagrant misconduct? The word had it he was to be suspended for two weeks which would result in him ineligible for the sectionals.

The DQ did happen and he was hit with flagrant misconduct and it was said that it carried a two week suspension, even tho I personally do not believe he did it I was sitting matside and there was only marks on one side of the other wrestlers hand, not an upper and a lower mark.

The flagrant doesn't mean he is out two weeks....he is out for that day (south dearborn ) and for the next match...if they don't wrestle again before sectionals then he has to sit out making him ineligible for sectionals (hope this isn't true!)

From what I understand if a flagrant is called it is for that meet and the following meet.  Similar thing happened to my brother Justin Cooper in 2006.  He was an undefeated senior and ranked 2nd in the state at 189.  In the finals of conference he was called for a flagrant head butt with about 10 seconds left in the match and the next meet for him was Sectionals.  Season over.

I understand what you are saying however the penalty that the official allegedly posted was for the day of and two more.

Here is the IHSAA by-law.

"8-3 Contest Ejection

Any contestant or coach ejected from a contest for an unsportsmanlike act shall be suspended from the next interschool contest at that level of competition and all other interschool contests at any level in the interim, in addition to any other penalties assessed."

The part where is says "in addition to any other penalties assessed." refers to any additional penalties that wrestlers school may apply. The official does not have anything to do with additional penalties.

No clue on the ruling but if it does turn out to be a one meet suspension, it looks as though Indian Creek is scheduled to appear at the New Albany Invite this Saturday.  That looks to be a varsity contest.

When refering to 8-3 Contest Ejection the problem here is that refers to "unsportmanlike conduct" not "flagrant misconduct" and the penalty for flagrant misconduct "can" be much more severe. Here is the reason why:

Flagrant misconduct: Called against competitors for such actions as striking, biting , butting, elbowing, or kicking an opponent. Also called against coaches and team personnel for actions that warrant their removal.

Unsportsmanlike conduct: Called for disobeying or arguing with a referee, or other acts of poor sportsmanship such as swearing, spitting, taunting, or throwing equipment.

When refering to 8-3 Contest Ejection the problem here is that refers to "unsportmanlike conduct" not "flagrant misconduct" and the penalty for flagrant misconduct "can" be much more severe. Here is the reason why:

Flagrant misconduct: Called against competitors for such actions as striking, biting , butting, elbowing, or kicking an opponent. Also called against coaches and team personnel for actions that warrant their removal.

Unsportsmanlike conduct: Called for disobeying or arguing with a referee, or other acts of poor sportsmanship such as swearing, spitting, taunting, or throwing equipment.

That IHSAA by-law applies to all sports. They do not care if you got kicked out for unsportsmanlike conduct or flagrant misconduct. Both are unsportsmanlike.  In wrestling you can get a unsportsmanlike penalty without it being a flagrant misconduct but you can not get a flagrant misconduct penalty without it also being unsportsmanlike. The bottom line for the IHSAA rules is that if your conduct gets you thrown out of the event then you don't get to wrestle the next event.  That is how the rules have been applied for the last 18 years I have been coaching.

Was the official someone who may also work as an official in Kentucky? This year they have a new rule where if you get thrown out of a event for 2 unsportsmanlike conducts or a flagrant misconduct penalty they do have to sit out for two weeks and the KHSAA has to reinstate the athlete before they can return.

Also  you will not see the words "flagrant misconduct" anywhere in the IHSAA by-laws.

That IHSAA by-law applies to all sports. They do not care if you got kicked out for unsportsmanlike conduct or flagrant misconduct. Both are unsportsmanlike.  In wrestling you can get a unsportsmanlike penalty without it being a flagrant misconduct but you can not get a flagrant misconduct penalty without it also being unsportsmanlike. The bottom line for the IHSAA rules is that if your conduct gets you thrown out of the event then you don't get to wrestle the next event.  That is how the rules have been applied for the last 18 years I have been coaching.

Was the official someone who may also work as an official in Kentucky? This year they have a new rule where if you get thrown out of a event for 2 unsportsmanlike conducts or a flagrant misconduct penalty they do have to sit out for two weeks and the KHSAA has to reinstate the athlete before they can return.

Also  you will not see the words "flagrant misconduct" anywhere in the IHSAA by-laws.

If this is indeed the way penalties are inforced after the fact ( I will take your word ) then I would say that the by-laws may need to be re-evaluated. In a nut shell one could take this as ( especially young adults in a physical contact sport) "might as well act on something ( illegal physical contact of any sort) rather than opening my mouth ( cursing, arguing, ect.) because the repercussions are the same. A cuss word can slip out of ANYONES mouth or argue something they feel is unjust especially in a heated circumstance, that is human nature but I aint buying someone let a fist slip or fall in the category of human nature. This is where judgment of an official comes in what he or she may feel is offensive verbally you and I may not which is fine, however balling a fist, biting, kicking ect. are not a judgment call, either it happened or it didnt (no grey area ). Yes, I agree ALL of those things ( physical or verbal ) are not right in any manner, but I am a realist and if people "knew" that their actions carry the same long term penalities as their words it opens the door for some to take advantage of what I would concider to be a loop hole and that is unfortuate but true.

Indian Creek had a meet the following Tuesday of the South Dearborn tournament, Indian Creek beat Monrovia. Tyler did not wrestle in the meet between Indian Creek and Monrovia with that said he will be wrestling in the New Albany meet this weekend. ;D

PS your official belongs to OHIO    :-X

If this is indeed the way penalties are inforced after the fact ( I will take your word ) then I would say that the by-laws may need to be re-evaluated. In a nut shell one could take this as ( especially young adults in a physical contact sport) "might as well act on something ( illegal physical contact of any sort) rather than opening my mouth ( cursing, arguing, ect.) because the repercussions are the same. A cuss word can slip out of ANYONES mouth or argue something they feel is unjust especially in a heated circumstance, that is human nature but I aint buying someone let a fist slip or fall in the category of human nature. This is where judgment of an official comes in what he or she may feel is offensive verbally you and I may not which is fine, however balling a fist, biting, kicking ect. are not a judgment call, either it happened or it didnt (no grey area ). Yes, I agree ALL of those things ( physical or verbal ) are not right in any manner, but I am a realist and if people "knew" that their actions carry the same long term penalities as their words it opens the door for some to take advantage of what I would concider to be a loop hole and that is unfortuate but true.

There is a differnece between getting an unsportsmanlike call and a flagrant misconduct call. It takes more than one unsportsmanlike calls to get thrown out of a event. One flagrant misconduct call and you are out of the event.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.