Team State Draw is Tomorrow

Thornton

The final IHSAA Team State draw is tomorrow. Here are the regionals and their primary contenders:

Portage: #2 Crown Point and #5 Merrillville

Jimtown: #7 Elkhart Memorial and #8 Penn

Adams Central: #14 Bellmont, Yorktown

Logansport: Peru, Kokomo and Delphi

Zionsville: #4 Cathedral and #11 Hamilton Southeastern

Martinsville: #1 Perry Meridian, #9 Franklin/#13 Center Grove and #12 Bloomington South

Connersville: #6 Roncalli/#15 Warren Central/#16 Greenfield Central

Southridge: #3 Evansville Mater Dei/#10 Evansville Reitz

Once the draw is out...let the conversation begin.

The final IHSAA Team State draw is tomorrow. Here are the regionals and their primary contenders:

Portage: #2 Crown Point and #5 Merrillville

Jimtown: #7 Elkhart Memorial and #8 Penn

Adams Central: #14 Bellmont, Yorktown

Logansport: Peru, Kokomo and Delphi

Zionsville: #4 Cathedral and #11 Hamilton Southeastern

Martinsville: #1 Perry Meridian, #9 Franklin/#13 Center Grove and #12 Bloomington South

Connersville: #6 Roncalli/#15 Warren Central/#16 Greenfield Central

Southridge: #3 Evansville Mater Dei/#10 Evansville Reitz

Once the draw is out...let the conversation begin.

just think of the worst possible scenario and thats what will happen i am thinking some thing like

PM Vs Cp

Cathedral Vs MD on one side

just think of the worst possible scenario and thats what will happen i am thinking some thing like

PM Vs Cp

Cathedral Vs MD on one side

Remember, they could always do it like the other sports....

CP vs. ELK Mem

Bellmont vs. Peru

CAthedral vs. PM

Roncalli vs. EMD

and just do a geographical draw the same every year.

if it comes out exactly according to rankings it would be:

Perry Meridian vs Peru

Cathedral vs Roncalli

Mater Dei vs Elkhart Memorial

Crown Point vs Bellmont

this would provide an interesting rematch of Cathedral and Roncalli (I think that match is this week), a potential rematch of either Cathedral or Roncalli with Perry Meridian as well as a potential rematch of last year's Crown Point/Mater Dei match. I am sure what Zach opined will likely happen.

Quarterfinals

Match 1: Winner at Zionsville vs. Winner at Jimtown.

Match 2: Winner at Logansport vs. Winner at Portage.

Match 3: Winner at Martinsville vs. Winner at Connersville.

Match 4: Winner at Adams Central vs. Winner at Southridge.

Semifinals

Match 5: Winner of Match 1 vs. Winner of Match 2.

Match 6: Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4.

Championship

Match 7: Winner of Match 5 vs. Winner of Match 6.

Possible match ups:

Cathedral vs Elkhart Memorial

Peru vs Crown Point

Perry Meridian vs Roncalli

Bellmont vs Evansville Mater Dei

By having the top 4 teams separated like this, it will make for one helluva semifinal round

but the first round will not be nearly as competitive as it has been in recent years, which I think is a little disappointing. I was hoping for something big in each round to send team state out with a bang

By having the top 4 teams separated like this, it will make for one helluva semifinal round

but the first round will not be nearly as competitive as it has been in recent years, which I think is a little disappointing. I was hoping for something big in each round to send team state out with a bang

I think Cathedral vs either Elkhart or Penn has some interesting match ups...Perry Meridian and Roncalli renew their Indy southside rivalry and the 2 teams with the most team state appearences (Bellmont and Mater Dei) has some great matches, especially in the upper weights and if Lannert bumps up to meet Faroute.

Not to take anything away from EMHS, they have one of the best teams they have had in years, but an individual tournament versus a head to head are 2 totally different things.  They wrestled fantastic at Al Smith and at their own Charger invitational where they came out ahead of the kingsmen.  But, individual tournament are seeding and luck of the draw, head to head.  I have to give the nod to Penn.

Not to take anything away from EMHS, they have one of the best teams they have had in years, but an individual tournament versus a head to head are 2 totally different things.  They wrestled fantastic at Al Smith and at their own Charger invitational where they came out ahead of the kingsmen.  But, individual tournament are seeding and luck of the draw, head to head.  I have to give the nod to Penn.

I will agree with you saying that tournament style is a lot different from dual meets. I mean, Penn beat us(Jimtown) by about 30 points the week before the Al Smith and they barely did better than us at the Al Smith. It could go either way, both teams are obviously some of the best in the state. And as much as I would love for Jimtown to pull out the upset at sectionals, I would also love to see Memorial face Penn.

Roncalli, Warren Central. and Greenfield- Central. Gonna be an interesting Shelbyville Sectional. Winner of that will win the Connersville regional and will have a date with #1 perry saturday morning.

seeding will have a great deal to do with this one. If one of these teams gets a majority of #1 seeds, then the #2 and #3 seeds could split those totals giving the top team a clearer path. It will be interesting.

It is great to see the top teams split up at this years Team State! I always felt like the finals were a let down when the top two teams already squared off. I know from the days when we won back to back State Championships at Lawrence North we had some amazingly close duals with Mater Dei and Portage but then won in the finals by over 30 points. Believe me it was great to win the State Championships like that but last year when I watched as a spectator instead of a coach on the sideline, I know it was less exciting. This year should have unbelievable semis and finals duals. The top two teams will definitely go head to head for it all in the end! Good luck to all the teams!

Jordin Humphrey

If Memorial wrestles like they did at the Al Smith, I'd pick them over Penn.

106 - PENN dec. EM 3-0

113 - EM dec PENN 3-3

120 - PENN dec EM 6-3

126 - EM dec PENN 6-6

132 - EM dec. PENN 6-9 - TOSS UP IF MAMMOLETI IS IN LINE UP

138 - EM dec PENN 6-12

145 - PENN dec EM 9-12

152 - PENN dec EM - 12-12

160 - PENN dec EM 15-12

170 - PENN dec EM 18-12

182 - EM dec PENN 18-15

195 - EM dec PENN 18-18

220 - PENN dec EM 21-18

285 - PENN dec EM 24-18

In all reality about 12 of these match ups are true toss ups in my opinion and this would be an outstanding dual. 

106 - PENN dec. EM 3-0

113 - EM dec PENN 3-3

120 - PENN dec EM 6-3

126 - EM dec PENN 6-6

132 - EM dec. PENN 6-9 - TOSS UP IF MAMMOLETI IS IN LINE UP

138 - EM dec PENN 6-12

145 - PENN dec EM 9-12

152 - PENN dec EM - 12-12

160 - PENN dec EM 15-12

170 - PENN dec EM 18-12

182 - EM dec PENN 18-15

195 - EM dec PENN 18-18

220 - PENN dec EM 21-18

285 - PENN dec EM 24-18

In all reality about 12 of these match ups are true toss ups in my opinion and this would be an outstanding dual. 

a dual meet with 14 decisions!!! Now that would be exciting.

a dual meet with 14 decisions!!! Now that would be exciting.

I was trying to find bonus points but they would probably be scarce.

Maybe 195 for EM and HWT for PENN.  Two smart coaching staffs that will know how to prepare their wrestlers too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.