Beating the odds...IT"S HAPPENING!

jDub

Kayla Miracle seems to be on a roll once again. Not only does she have Olympic attention, but she also has a record that is among the best in the state. She's 30-1, with 17 pins. Her only loss is to previously ranked Zach Davis (5-2, I think) when she had to make scratch weight at 106 (was wrestling 113 prior). This weekend she was dominant at the Cathedral Invite, going 5-0 on the day!

Has a female in Indiana (or anywhere else) ever had such a successful season(s)? As a freshman she was 38-2. Currently she's 30-1. Overall high school record is currently 68-3.      That's a MONSTER record for any sophmore, regardless of gender!

I understand she has to get through a tough semi-state at 106 (Merriville) to get to state, but it's certainly looking like she's got the stuff to make it happen.

She is quite impressive. But i dont think state is in the picture this year. I do think she makes it to semi-state, but she will likely have to battle to make it, considering that regional has 5 kids ranked in the semi-state, 4 from the other sectional. But you never know what could happen. But she is definitely very tough and is capable of making it.

I was really impressed with her last year. Sounds like she's only getting better. There was a girl in Alaska a couple of years ago who won a state title at 103 I believe.

I remember that. Very impressive. Any idea of her record leading up to the big win? Is Miracle's comparable?

Kayla is training very hard and getting used to the 106 weight class. She knows exactly what she needs to do to reach her goal of placing at State this year. Kayla is very mature and focused for her age. She knows that high school folkstyle wrestling is just a training platform for her larger year end goal of winning a Cadet World title and her long term goal of winning multiple Olympic gold medals. The support and prayers from everyone are very much appreciated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/02/06/girl.wrestling.champ.ap/

She was 45-4 with 33 pins. Good luck to Kayla and getting through that meat grinder in Mville!

Thanks for the info regarding the Alaskan champ. If I remember correctly, the girl from Alaska was a senior when she won state. Incredible feat, regardless of age.

What I was really asking, (and didn't make very clear, sry) was her record as a younger high scool wrestler (freshman, sophmore) and whether that compared to Miracle's.

Mville will certainly be a test, and a big one at that...but if the cards fall in her favor we may see something we've never seen before. She may once again, beat the odds...

Thanks for the info regarding the Alaskan champ. If I remember correctly, the girl from Alaska was a senior when she won state. Incredible feat, regardless of age.

What I was really asking, (and didn't make very clear, sry) was her record as a younger high scool wrestler (freshman, sophmore) and whether that compared to Miracle's.

Mville will certainly be a test, and a big one at that...but if the cards fall in her favor we may see something we've never seen before. She may once again, beat the odds...

she won it as a sophomore. Was also a second,  fourth and fifth placer in her high school career.

Thanks for the info about the Alaskan champ. I didn't realize she was a sophmore when she won. Incredible!

Not to take anything away from her, or Alaska...but I've got to assume Indiana is much more of a wrestling state than Alaska. (I hope to heck we all agree on that...we have pride, right? lol)

Anyway, Kayla is doing a helluva job!!

As a freshman she was 38-2. Currently she's 30-1. Overall high school record is currently 68-3.       That's a MONSTER record for any sophmore, regardless of gender!

Good job Kayla! Sounds like it's going to be a great year for you...it already has!

Kayla Miracle seems to be on a roll once again. Not only does she have Olympic attention, but she also has a record that is among the best in the state. She's 30-1, with 17 pins. Her only loss is to previously ranked Zach Davis (5-2, I think) when she had to make scratch weight at 106 (was wrestling 113 prior). This weekend she was dominant at the Cathedral Invite, going 5-0 on the day!

Has a female in Indiana (or anywhere else) ever had such a successful season(s)? As a freshman she was 38-2. Currently she's 30-1. Overall high school record is currently 68-3.        That's a MONSTER record for any sophmore, regardless of gender!

I understand she has to get through a tough semi-state at 106 (Merriville) to get to state, but it's certainly looking like she's got the stuff to make it happen.

I saw one. Older sister of a guy I coached in WA. Camie Yeik. She finished 6th against the guys. Shortly after, WIAA created a women's tournament category. Sidenote. Her brother won the 130 lbs state title that year. Then added another state title his senior year (finished 2nd his junior year). His little brother has a runner-up finish and a title. Their school district still has an out of date rule on the books that prevents freshmen from starting varsity sports. If Cody Yeik reaches the finals again this year, neither brother will have ever finished out of the top 2 at State. It is a class system, but fairly decent showing for an entire family. It's a bit hard to appreciate when you get to see Alex and Jason never finish out of 1st place in a one class system....but...when will we seriously get to see that again?

I would say most people are rooting for her, not against her. 

I totally agree......The Indiana wrestling family and ISWA has been really supportive of Kayla and the Miracle family in general. We were very blessed to be stationed in such a supportive state with a great attitude toward female wrestling.

I saw one. Older sister of a guy I coached in WA. Camie Yeik. She finished 6th against the guys. Shortly after, WIAA created a women's tournament category. Sidenote. Her brother won the 130 lbs state title that year. Then added another state title his senior year (finished 2nd his junior year). His little brother has a runner-up finish and a title. Their school district still has an out of date rule on the books that prevents freshmen from starting varsity sports. If Cody Yeik reaches the finals again this year, neither brother will have ever finished out of the top 2 at State. It is a class system, but fairly decent showing for an entire family. It's a bit hard to appreciate when you get to see Alex and Jason never finish out of 1st place in a one class system....but...when will we seriously get to see that again?

It's funny you bring up the Yeik's.....we moved here from Washington and we are close family friends with them. Our kids grew up together. We trained and traveled together staying at each others houses depending on here we were wrestling. I have coached many practices in the "log cabin".....(the wrestling room behind their house). Great people!

It's funny you bring up the Yeik's.....we moved here from Washington and we are close family friends with them. Our kids grew up together. We trained and traveled together staying at each others houses depending on here we were wrestling. I have coached many practices in the "log cabin".....(the wrestling room behind their house). Great people!

They were a fun group to watch. That team took 5 guys to state my last year out there. Those 5 placed 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th. Coach there has a good approach to wrestling...Good luck to Kayla. Looking forward to seeing her mess up some of the guys in the next few weeks.

I actually wrestled in Alaska in High School.  The girl that won in 06 is Micheala Hutchisonand she comes from a wrestling family.  I wrestled her oldest brother, who was a cadet AA. and 2x State Champ. Also, her older sister placed 3rd at 112 as a senior and fared well on the senior freestyle circuit until she decided to raise a family, and another older brother was a 4x state champ (won his 4th later the same night) and won a Junior Greco National Title.  Shes wrestling at Oklahoma City U now and has a great shot at making the olympics.  

Having coached in Indiana, I would say yes, Indiana is tougher than Alaska.  A second girl won last year in Alaska, also at 103.  She has traveled to Fargo and does well for herself.  The new weights are not too kind to her this year, as she is still 106 and now wrestlin gmuch bigger light(est) weights

I actually wrestled in Alaska in High School.  The girl that won in 06 is Micheala Hutchisonand she comes from a wrestling family.  I wrestled her oldest brother, who was a cadet AA. and 2x State Champ. Also, her older sister placed 3rd at 112 as a senior and fared well on the senior freestyle circuit until she decided to raise a family, and another older brother was a 4x state champ (won his 4th later the same night) and won a Junior Greco National Title.  Shes wrestling at Oklahoma City U now and has a great shot at making the olympics.  

Having coached in Indiana, I would say yes, Indiana is tougher than Alaska.  A second girl won last year in Alaska, also at 103.  She has traveled to Fargo and does well for herself.  The new weights are not too kind to her this year, as she is still 106 and now wrestlin gmuch bigger light(est) weights

I had an opportunity to work with a girl from Alaska at the USOEC (United States Olympic Education Center) named Melissa Apodaca. She was a very  physical wrestler who trained hard and was really focused.....on and off the mat. Must be something in the water in the Pacific Northwest ;)

She is quite impressive. But i dont think state is in the picture this year. I do think she makes it to semi-state, but she will likely have to battle to make it, considering that regional has 5 kids ranked in the semi-state, 4 from the other sectional. But you never know what could happen. But she is definitely very tough and is capable of making it.

If she gets through the Regional, it is all about the draw!

Coach I don't think anything is in the water, I think its a great upbringing and being true to your sport.  It's what the sport of wrestling is suppossed to teach us.  Good luck to all the fine yong men and women of this wrestling state!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.