Schools that have fallen?

ifonly

Quote from: wrestlersrgreat on January 13, 2012, 06:29:23 PM

LN has no feeder program, new coaches coming in next year and they don't promote the sport. Dont blame the kids, blame the administration! Just look at their football program and they have 3,500 kids in the school.

I appreciate your insight, Mr. Boston.  Do you have any idea if a search committe has been assembled to find a coach for next season?  It was my impression that Coach Crousore was only going to serve as (interim) head coach this season.  Who would you like to see at the helm?

Quote from: wrestlersrgreat on January 13, 2012, 06:29:23 PM

LN has no feeder program, new coaches coming in next year and they don't promote the sport. Dont blame the kids, blame the administration! Just look at their football program and they have 3,500 kids in the school.

I appreciate your insight, Mr. Boston.  Do you have any idea if a search committe has been assembled to find a coach for next season?  It was my impression that Coach Crousore was only going to serve as (interim) head coach this season.  Who would you like to see at the helm?

Not from the area, but wasn't LN the team state runners-up last year? What happened to their coach? Sorry if this has been covered prior to my discovering this site....

I agree with wrestlersrgreat......the coaching staff now is plenty capable of turning this around........hmmm, let's see Svarczkopf (2X Team State champ as head coach...think he had a couple runner-up finishes too, then there's Crousore (oh - 2X Team Champs as head coach as well).  They also have past LN wrestling alumni assisting.  I think they handle it.  LN will be back!

I agree with Mr. Boston as well...these guys have tremendous resumes and are considered by the wrestling community to be elite level coaches.  I  just heard through the rumor mill that Coach Crousore was only temporarily taking the head coaching position because he is also the principal at Lawrence North High School.  Maybe I was mistaken.  It does strike me funny, however, that there was an earlier post blaming the administration for the lack of support and the downfall of LN's athletic programs.

Am I missing something. LN was 2nd at team state last year and they have"Fallen" for a couple of months now. They have had great success in recent years, multiple state champs over the last four years, and have a returning state champ and favorite to win state again.

This year they now have a wrestling friendly administration and another awesome coaching staff. Where's the problem?  I'm sure there are about 100 wrestling programs in the state that would like "Fall" like LN.

I think it is a culmination of everything that has been previously posted.  kids these days are pulled and pull themselves in all sorts of directions.  We have wrestlers that work,  participate in choir, math/science clubs, and other sports.  It's not easy to tell a kid they have to choose because you don't have the depth that many other teams may have and you may loose him.  I get tired of hearing all the football players say they need to get big.  I see them in the gym for a week or so and then nothing.  Our school is filled with big kids and we only have a few heavyweights wrestling.  All we can do is pass on the passion to anyone that is willing to take a chance with us.

ace2212, wish I knew who you were, always hate screen names and not knowing who I'm going to reply to.

Yes we lift preseason and inseason, but who doesn't lift preseason and inseason?

We also have weight training classes during school.

We don't encourage our kids to cut weight - we follow the weight loss program, but none really cut weight, they just get in shape. Nobody today cuts weight like back in my day. If they do they are illegal by the new weight program.

When a football player comes into wrestling he is in football shape, they will weigh a little more and most of the time it is fat weight, not muscle.

When they come into wrestling and get into wrestling shape they are going to lose some fat and be lighter than in football, which is good.

If they eat right and lift right after wrestling they will increase their weight after losing some of the fat, making leaning athletes.

What throws this off also is if you look at their height and weight in a program it has been a "little fudged" and it looks like they lost a lot of weight. When really they haven't.

No don't get me wrong, I love football too. I have coached football in Texas and Indiana. I have coached freshman football, scouted for the varsity and coached at the junior high level. In fact I coach the 7th grade at one our middle schools right now. I love to call the offense.

I don't know where you coach, because I don't know who you are because you use a screen name. From my experience, football coaches not wanting kids to wrestle because they lose weight has been a problem.

I always wonder how much they are losing out on by wrestling rather than hiding out in the weightroom. I would think you want your kids to learn how to compete, weights don't hit back!

If you are at a small school I understand you - my son played football at a 2A school and small schools for the most part do a better job of sharing athletes, his team had upper weights and have some good upper weights this year.

When our football coach encouraged football players to wrestle, when had some pretty good kids, a 7th Hwt and 4th 189 in 2010. When they didn't have a great season, he stopped encouraging kids to wrestle. The answer to losing was we weren't big enough. We nee to get bigger and if you wrestle that will hurt you - This is the battle I have fought for most of 31 years.

I have seen wrestling go down hill over the past few years. I see it as a result of no dedication to the youth wrestling program. They stopped having the spring/summer wrestling practices. Our wins went gradually down hill until we are where we are today.

No regionrat, I don't think it comes down to coaches or feeder programs.

If an Adult (coach) tells a kid he needs to get bigger if he wants to play - it has a BIG influence on his decision if he is going to wrestle or go to the weight room in the off season.

Most big time football programs think kids need to only lift and get bigger or they can't compete.

The sad fact is these kids believe if they spend the time in the weight room and lift for football they are going to get big and make varsity and get a scholarship and win state.

They think if they don't do what the coach tells them they won't play next year and someone will get ahead of them and take their spot.

What they don't understand is if they are a player, the spot is still there and if they play another sport it may even increase their chance of starting.

I find it ironic how many kids names that are called on friday night making big plays are kid who wrestle, but these kids coaches tell the team at the end of the season how they need to commit to the weight room and get bigger if they want to play.

I have had so many kids not wrestle in high school after wrestling in junior high because they sat they need to lift and get bigger its unbelievable.

These adults (coaches) have a BIG influence on their choices.

I also understand its easier to go in a weight room and lift than go in a wrestling room and wrestle.

There are a lot  of coaches who spend time with kids when they are young only to see them not wrestle when they get older because they have been told if they gain so much weight they will play next year..........

So are you saying that football is to blame for the downfall of a wrestling program?? I understand what you are saying for the most part. But as we know wrestling is a very tough sport to hold the interest of a young kid and keep them in the sport. Football is obviously more attractive to most kids and most of all parents. Most parents don't seem to have the heart to keep their kids in such a physically tough sport. And many of those who do, don't seem to temper their enthusiasm enough to keep from turning their kids off to wrestling. It's a very fine line. And let's face it, there aren't allot of kids who stay year after year without a solid push from Mom and Dad. Getting that kind of commitment from parents is not easy. To bring jr. to practice when they are saying "I don't want to go". So I think solid consistant feeder programs are the answer, keeping kids involved in the sport until it becomes a way of life and they are old enough to see and understand the value of the sport as it relates to life. I don't think may other sports offer those lessons. Start em young and keep em involved.

I agree with Mr. Boston as well...these guys have tremendous resumes and are considered by the wrestling community to be elite level coaches.  I  just heard through the rumor mill that Coach Crousore was only temporarily taking the head coaching position because he is also the principal at Lawrence North High School.  Maybe I was mistaken.  It does strike me funny, however, that there was an earlier post blaming the administration for the lack of support and the downfall of LN's athletic programs.

Meant to say this earlier.... Great screen name!!

It's called pure laziness from kids now a days. Kids would rather go home and play with the latest and greatest technology that mommy and daddy buys for them. I believe this is the root problem in today's society. This is tough what would like to do? Go to practice everyday and bust your butt and accomplish something in your high school career or go home and eat ice cream sandwiches and drink all the soda you want and play xbox all night long (good gig). Its sad but I think kids are picking the xbox over sports and that is what I see why some programs are suffering. ???

...and don't forget about that gosh darn rock n roll music on the hi-fi...that Elvis Presley shaking his hips on Ed Sullivan...its gonna be the end I tell you...

Scott Miller - be thankful you have a football coach who encourages football players to wrestle .

If he does then eventually you may get big kids, but if he doesn't you never will.

Football and wrestling go together like no other two sports.

It's too bad most football coaches don't get it.

Amen!

I know im going to get bashed for this, but my uncle was a head football coach for Gavit and Lake Central..... He said the best thing for his big football players was to play basketball. Best way to get your foot speed up, and lateral movement.

He wrestled too

He was a real good wrestler too.  Gotta disagree though, basketball players are soft.  Wrestling has cross over skills, but also teaches those intangibles like mental toughness that are like a foreign language to the great majority of basketballers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.