Rowdiest Dual Meet Crowds (excluding Team State)

No One Famous

I heard how raucous the fans were at the CP vs. Merriville  meet was.  How would that compare to the PM vs Cathedral meet?  Or even the EMD vs Reitz meet?

Which dual meet is the rowdiest?

(Remember: this could all disappear with the elimination of team state...why have duals? - rhetorical question)

If you are looking for consistency...this probably wouldn't be it, but the Yorktown vs. Bellmont dual meet was quite rowdy the past couple years.  Do/Did they wrestle a dual meet this year?

I did not mean to exclude any duals from any other parts of the state.  Those three just came to mind as rivals.

I bet those meets have een spirited the past several years.

I heard how raucous the fans were at the CP vs. Merriville  meet was.  How would that compare to the PM vs Cathedral meet?  Or even the EMD vs Reitz meet?

(Remember: this could all disappear with the elimination of team state...why have duals? - rhetorical question)

Crown Point vs Merrillville. Hands Down.

Duals like these won't disappear with the elimination of team state.  Those crowds don't get rowdy because they're thinking about the team state tournament, they get into it because they care about the rivalries.  Those rivalries dont have much to do with the postseason.  Duals existed before team state and they'll exist after it.

Duals like these won't disappear with the elimination of team state.  Those crowds don't get rowdy because they're thinking about the team state tournament, they get into it because they care about the rivalries.  Those rivalries dont have much to do with the postseason.  Duals existed before team state and they'll exist after it.

Exactly!

There is nothing like an intense dual.

Some of my clearest wrestling memories come from dual meets (won and lost) as a participate and a coach.

Ive been explaining the intensity line for years to people about attending team state.  Where every wrestler in the line up matters and the crowd support swung on every move . But, most needed to attend the event to see what that actually ment.  This truly made for a unique feeling that was different but as exciting as watching individual state.  This was  due a lot to the crowd being more polarized to one team or the other and the teammates putting in a lot more support for there entire line up than we see in most regular duals.  Sadly, we will not have a chance to experience this for at least foreseeable future from the IHSAA side of things.  Here is to hoping the IHSWCA can line out a good way to host there own event and can recreate that feeling again.

At least there will still be some great school rivalries where the teams are evenly matched.  That way most kids can experience that same type of atmosphere once or twice in their wrestling career.  Unfortunately many of them are hard distance and date wise for for some of the general wrestling fans to have a chance to witness.

Some of my clearest wrestling memories come from dual meets (won and lost) as a participate and a coach.

Ive been explaining the intensity line for years to people about attending team state.  Where every wrestler in the line up matters and the crowd support swung on every move . But, most needed to attend the event to see what that actually ment.  This truly made for a unique feeling that was different but as exciting as watching individual state.  This was  due a lot to the crowd being more polarized to one team or the other and the teammates putting in a lot more support for there entire line up than we see in most regular duals.  Sadly, we will not have a chance to experience this for at least foreseeable future from the IHSAA side of things.  Here is to hoping the IHSWCA can line out a good way to host there own event and can recreate that feeling again.

I agree. I think the IHSAA made a big mistake scapping team state. I used to go to team state just to watch even though my team was not in it. I guess there weren't enough people like me though. In any case, the decision has been made. I hope the IHSWCA is successful in what they are trying to do. It has the potential to be even better than the IHSAA team state.

Although I don't think I'm THAT old I'm going to date my self a bit, the MD vs. Central meets of the 90's, say 91-95 or so were out of this world I think 93 being the craziest. MD's gym was packed to the gills, rabid fans on both sides.  I wrestled the resurve match as a soph. we didn't have anywhere to sit after we got done wrestling our match. We had the evansville sectional at MD back then and that was a ruckus too you'd never believe it unless you'd seen it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.