Forfeits - same topic, different year

WingMan

for?feit   /ˈfɔrfɪt/  Show Spelled[fawr-fit]  Show IPA

noun

1. a fine; penalty.

2. an act of forfeiting; forfeiture.

3. something to which the right is lost, as for commission of a crime or misdeed, neglect of duty, or violation of a contract.

4. an article deposited in a game because of a mistake and redeemable by a fine or penalty.

5. forfeits, ( used with a singular verb ) a game in which such articles are taken from the players.

Above is copy and pasted from Dictionary.com regarding the meaning of a forfeit.  My question is why are we seeing so many forfeits in this sport when the forfeiting team has competent wrestlers?  For example, if you have a kid at weight "X" who has wrestled three matches in a tournament yet they forfeit a match in the fourth round and then wrestle again in the fifth round (keep in mind this is an example).  How is that fair to the opponent and the kid at weight "X?" 

I guess I don't understand the strategy.  I have heard so many explanations...kid isn't capable, kid's morale is fragile, don't want the kid getting hurt, his record...these are responses from coaches and I find them all crap.  How does one get better?  How about the boy sent back to the bench because his coaches don't have confidence in him? 

I personally think a forfeit should count as a loss just like an injury-default.  I also think that wrestlers should enter tournaments at one weight.  They choose not to wrestle a round, a loss for them and the team.  Or, if a team forfeits a weight in one round you are done with that weight for the rest of the tournament.

I just do not see this as strategy and the message to the athletes is pathetic, so please someone explain this genius plan to me.  At least send your second-string wrestler on the mat and take a chance.  Clearly I am missing something.

What would you do if the weight was called and the wrong wrestler checked in for a match and his coach didn't catch this or the table help.   The wrestler at the correct weight pinned the kid and then the coach realized he had the wrong person wrestling.  Should have that have been a forfeit.  The match was wrestled again and he pinned the kid again at the correct weight.  Would that be considered two wins or a win and a forfeit.  The win with one the kid at the wrong weight was considered one of his matches for the day.

I saw this this weekend at Northmont. Delphi forfeited @182 then Portage forfeited right back @195. I didn't understand the strategy on Delphi's part.

And then the Delphi coaching staff proceeded to call the Portage coaching staff cowards for not wrestling the #1 kid in the state.

Also the kid that Portage forfeited for went 0-6 at the tournament, wrestling Lynde would not have  benefitted either team.

for?feit   /ˈfɔrfɪt/  Show Spelled[fawr-fit]  Show IPA

noun

1. a fine; penalty.

2. an act of forfeiting; forfeiture.

3. something to which the right is lost, as for commission of a crime or misdeed, neglect of duty, or violation of a contract.

4. an article deposited in a game because of a mistake and redeemable by a fine or penalty.

5. forfeits, ( used with a singular verb ) a game in which such articles are taken from the players.

Above is copy and pasted from Dictionary.com regarding the meaning of a forfeit.  My question is why are we seeing so many forfeits in this sport when the forfeiting team has competent wrestlers?  For example, if you have a kid at weight "X" who has wrestled three matches in a tournament yet they forfeit a match in the fourth round and then wrestle again in the fifth round (keep in mind this is an example).  How is that fair to the opponent and the kid at weight "X?" 

I guess I don't understand the strategy.  I have heard so many explanations...kid isn't capable, kid's morale is fragile, don't want the kid getting hurt, his record...these are responses from coaches and I find them all crap.  How does one get better?  How about the boy sent back to the bench because his coaches don't have confidence in him? 

I personally think a forfeit should count as a loss just like an injury-default.  I also think that wrestlers should enter tournaments at one weight.  They choose not to wrestle a round, a loss for them and the team.  Or, if a team forfeits a weight in one round you are done with that weight for the rest of the tournament.

I just do not see this as strategy and the message to the athletes is pathetic, so please someone explain this genius plan to me.  At least send your second-string wrestler on the mat and take a chance.  Clearly I am missing something.

My team wrestled in a tournament a few days ago. My 126lber had an injury in the 2nd round. We patched him up the best we could and he finished the match and won. He then went to the hospital and got 4 stiches in his face. He missed the 3rd round while at the hospital. He returned and won rounds 4 and 5.  My team forfeited his weight in round 3 because we did not have anyone to take his place. Do you really think that should go down on his record as a lose? I don't.  Do you really think that because that kid left to get stiches in his face and missed round 3 that he should not have been able to wrestle in rounds 4 and 5? I don't think so. We put a face mask on him and he wrestled two rounds like that. Against one team the other coach questioned if he should be able to wrestle because the facemask is special equipment and that wrestler did not have it with him at weighins to have the officials approve it. Of course the wrestler was not injured until the 2nd round so he did not have the facemask at that time.

What would you do if the weight was called and the wrong wrestler checked in for a match and his coach didn't catch this or the table help.   The wrestler at the correct weight pinned the kid and then the coach realized he had the wrong person wrestling.  Should have that have been a forfeit.  The match was wrestled again and he pinned the kid again at the correct weight.  Would that be considered two wins or a win and a forfeit.  The win with one the kid at the wrong weight was considered one of his matches for the day.

If the wrong weight class wrestler shows up for checking in for his match, and the scorer's table doesn't catch the error; he than wrestles, and the error, after the fact is discovered, in a tournament setting (not multiple duals), it is considered 'bad time'; I.E., just as if this match wasn't even contested, or didn't ever occur. To fix it, the correct wrestlers in the weight class will have to wrestle in a match delayed by some sort of resting period. Surly the NFHS Wrestling Case Book addresses this issue. Go to sub-forum on this site, and ask the official to be sure. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.