Al Smith finals

AJ

The uncalled takedown at the edge of the mat. Both their legs were in bounds and Hartman was clearly on top. The pin was rightfully called, but if Hartman were given the takedown, he likely wouldn't have gotten neck wrenched later.

21 times.  Hartman exited the mat 21 times durning the championship match while under attack.  Watch the tape and count 'em up boys.  21 times.  I don't know why, but Clay's light and middle weights always play the edge.  I find it unexplainable why the ref didn't hit Hartman with numerous deserved stalling calls.  When Hartman finally did wrestle in the middle he was pinned instantly in the 3rd, which I guess is why he loves that out of bounds line.

Think about it.  The loudest cheer of the night was when Hartman lost, and it wasn't because the poor kid has asthma.  Its because people want to see wrestling, not playing the edge of the mat.  Clay's upper weights don't do that.

no need to attack our guys!  It was a great match! 

21 times.  Hartman exited the mat 21 times durning the championship match while under attack.  Watch the tape and count 'em up boys.  21 times.  I don't know why, but Clay's light and middle weights always play the edge.  I find it unexplainable why the ref didn't hit Hartman with numerous deserved stalling calls.  When Hartman finally did wrestle in the middle he was pinned instantly in the 3rd, which I guess is why he loves that out of bounds line.

Think about it.  The loudest cheer of the night was when Hartman lost, and it wasn't because the poor kid has asthma.  Its because people want to see wrestling, not playing the edge of the mat.  Clay's upper weights don't do that.

Think about it.  The loudest cheer of the night was when Hartman lost,

And the loudest boos I heard was when he wasn't given the takedown. I mean, Hartman took him down once(Maybe twice, don't remember) and almost got at least 2 takedowns but they both went out of bounds. Maybe Hartman wasn't the most aggressive, but he still wrestled very well. It seemed like you were attacking him and Clay as a whole in your post.

I wouldn't single Clay out for that tactic...

I wouldn't single Clay out for that tactic...

I completely agree, I think against better guys that's a great tactic. That was just plain, smart wrestling. I wouldn't say he did all that much of stalling either, ALTHOUGH it could have been called either way. Nonetheless it was a great match and it'll be interesting to see if Hartman drops down come state time.

I disagree.... There were not very many close and exciting finals matches.  In this match you had a returning state champ losing in the third period with less than 30 seconds remaining.  He then hit a beautiful move for the comeback win.  Of course people are going to cheer because that was exciting and fun to watch.

It was interesting to see a returning state champ become vulnerable in a  big match. Hartman wrestled smart and played the edge to his advantage, the kids like a worm and managed to scramble his way out of almost every situation. If Hartman can keep his breath it will be interesting to see him grind it out Malloy or any other top caliber wrestlers. Just because he caught him with a quick move doesn't necessarily make Malloy the better wrestler. Hats off to both boys for the best finals match of the evening.

It was interesting to see a returning state champ become vulnerable in a  big match. Hartman wrestled smart and played the edge to his advantage, the kids like a worm and managed to scramble his way out of almost every situation. If Hartman can keep his breath it will be interesting to see him grind it out Malloy or any other top caliber wrestlers. Just because he caught him with a quick move doesn't necessarily make Malloy the better wrestler. Hats off to both boys for the best finals match of the evening.

Malloy being the defending state champ and winning this match does make him the better wrestler for now or until he is beaten. IMO Hartman and his coach had a great plan on wrestling Malloy and that plan was to minimize the damage that could be done by Malloys aggressive leg attack. It seemed to include making the mat smaller and the out of bounds closer to fight off any deep shots. Hartman's non takedown call could have gone either way. Great match by two great wrestlers. If Malloy stays at 138 maybe a rematch somewhere down the line. 

I was there and you're wrong on him not trying to win the match. The kid was winning the match for the better part of 5 minutes. He was a judgement call takedown  away from beating a state champion. It was the best finals match of the day, and a smart match for Hartman. I personally thought Malloy was going to put a takedown clinic on in that match, but clearly Hartman realized he couldn't stop each attack and wrestled close to the edge. My point is, if you weren't there, don't make a nonsensical post about whether a kid was trying to win a match or just stay in the match. Hartman and his camp had a great game plan and it nearly paid off.

I usually wouldn't respond but this one was a little harsh and also incorrect.  Just watched tape- 10 times they went out of bounds (not 21) fairly normal for good match with lots of action- Hartman never circled to the out of bounds line but did sprawl to defend-  Hartman had 9 shots and Malloy had 9 shots.  Great match well wrestled -why single out Hartman for wrestling as hard as he could to try and defeat the defending state champ who hasn't lost in the last two years. 

I wasn't there......but it sounds like Hartman was wrestling to keep the score close, NOT win the match!

Mitch Hartman was winning 5-4 with 20 second left I think he was trying to win!!  Malloy is very good, explosive and dangerous.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.