What would you rather have??

Jake Riesen

Which would give a team more bonus points throughout a season.  3 studs at heavywieght, 220, and 196 or 3 studs at 106, 113, and 120.  As a coach which weights are the most benificial to have great wrestlers.  This is kind of the Bellmont Yorktown arguement for the past few seasons and I was just wandering where you see the biggest benifit for teams to have good wrestlers. 

I agree with the middle of the lineup position to have studs but if forced, I'd rather have my studs at the lighter weights because I believe you can drag in big boys off the street and have them be more than serviceable at the three highest weight classes, more often than not.  At the three lighter weights, everyone is going to scream that you can drag a little guy off the street and, because of ffts, a pud will be serviceable at 106.  Though I vociferously disagree with this statement, let's say I stipulate to that point just for arguments sake.  At 113 and 120, most teams field kids here and the level of skill to be successful at these weights far exceeds the level of skill it requires to be successful at the three highest weights.  Therefore, to have studs at 106, 113 & 120 would be more beneficial, IMO, than at the 3 higher weights.

First and foremost if you get a great group of kid's AKA a "murder's row" it is very exciting and gives you a definite advantage at either  light, middle, or upper weights. 

In my experiences coaching, we always ended up with a lighter group of guy's more so than the upper group.  It gave us a best opportunity to be flexible with bumping our guy's to get better match-up's.  When you have a great group of kid's bunched together they not only made each other better in the wrestling room but everyone around them, i.e. their back-ups. To add to that, we could have those guy's wrestle with our middle weight wrestler's during practice and that in turn made them better. So if we ended up bumping our back-up was well prepared to compete and our middle weight's were always prepared because they were battling everyday with those light weight guy's. 

Looking at the other side in having a great group of upper weight's, You will always have those guy's making each other better and their back-up's, but in my opinion it doesn't give you the best opportunity to make the middle and lower weight's better because of their weight difference in practice. Also, in some cases it can take away that flexibility of bumping for better match-up's, because you are topped out at HWT. 

Again, It is very exciting to have a "murder's row" anywhere in your line-up, but personally I enjoyed having our light weight "murder's row", they were fun to coach.

Coach Weimer 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.