owen valley

Walter Sobchak

It seems to be a complicated case, lots of ins and outs and what have yous..... but Brokal was hired as head coach at OV and now his son wrestles for Bloomington south.... he had run the cyclone club for several years and was the middle school coach so something caused a riff between him and the school, maybe he was never hired or maybe he was let go or resigned but obviously he got fed up with OV and moved on as did his son.  In the long run it will be a better move for the wrestler, better program, better coaching and much better competition.  Maybe the panther staff has better realator on staff and more job opportunites than Yorktown?  ;D(Just kidding here, couldnt resist)  ;D

My guess would be that OV signed off on the kid or they moved for him to start at one school and then be eligible to compete this year. 

Dude

First year coach for wrestling, coached jr high football to a undefeated season, not sure enough to have any input on Broukal, May be first year coach but he has lots seveal good assistants. They also aquired a good wrestler from Northview, small team but atleast they are trying to keep the program alive.

Broukal acquired the Northview athletes:  two of them but  they are ineligible this year. 

A hearing was conducted to consider the appeal of James Robertson, a student attending Owen Valley

High School. James had been declared ineligible on the basis of Rule 19-4. A hearing was requested in

order to appeal the ruling and obtain full eligibility. Following the hearing the student?s family and legal

counsel for the IHSAA submitted findings of fact. Having analyzed all of the available data, the IHSAA

Review Committee voted to uphold the Commissioner.

A hearing was conducted to consider the appeal of Larry Shaffer, a student attending Owen Valley High

School. Larry had been declared ineligible on the basis of Rule 19-4. A hearing was requested in order

to appeal the ruling and obtain full eligibility. Following the hearing the student?s family and legal counsel

for the IHSAA submitted findings of fact. Having analyzed all of the available data, the IHSAA Review

Committee voted to uphold the Commissioner.

Too bad one of them would have set every record at Northview.  And he really tied the team together! 

Who are these great assistants you refer too? 

Didn't say great assistants just good, Never Knew OV to ever have anyone Great in a wrestling coaching position. one is from former staff and the other I can't recall his name but I think he may have wrestled a Bloomington South a few years back. Not sure enough on facts to be any more specific, sorry. The new coach is a long time friend of mine.

So is Schaffer ineligable for the entire season?? to bad for him.

Hello, to all in the Wrestling World!!  I am going to clarify a few situations in an appropriate manner w/o getting pissed-off or upset!

The Coaching situation w/ Mr. Broukal is going to be a court issue!! A friend of his brought some Allegation's(bogus) against him and had the High School(OV) take action and the school board stepped in!! So as a parent, I just want to shed some light on the issue before everyone starts BASHING RAY BROUKAL!! Him and his family are great people!!  His friend and assistant, well that is the Issue (LIAR).

Now on to the other gossip at OV, wrestlers James Robertson and Larry Shaffer!! Yes they are ineligible to participate at the Varsity level this year! They did transfer to OV and NORTHVIEW did not sign-off on them and contacted the IHSAA! Well as a Tax payer you should be able to send your kids to the school that best fits the child's needs!! This move was for Educational Reason and C. Jackson and D.Mikesell fabricated a story and went to the IHSAA!

We had are day in court with the Panel, IHSAA presented their case as they put the KNIVES in our backs!!  Then appealed the case and was granted limited eligibility! And the findings that NVHS ?supposable? had were found irrelevant! And the only thing that was found was no change in address. So the young men have licked their wound and moved on, both have

excellent grades and all the other sibling's are doing great!! Hell if we would have known this would have transpired this way, we should have just went to one of the Charter or Private Schools!!  As a parent you support and guide your kids, to be the best they can! But, when 2 leaders of a School have issues w/ you the Parent talk to me and handle the

situation, don't retaliate and penalize the KIDS!!

• 2 weeks later...

This might be an old topic but I'd like to shed some light from of other side of the story, the truth. My name is Zach Stultz former North Clay Middle school wrestling coach current Northview asst. Jamie Robertson and Larry Schaefer Sr. did not transfer their children for academic  reasons. It was for athletic reasons. My proof: first off after Larry's freshman year Larry Sr. would come to my place of work to watch his son play basketball and confided in me about his frustrations with the coaches and threaten to transfer to Cloverdale HS first.  Second, I was in the locker room when our AD confronted Larry Sr. he only mentioned that he was disgruntled with the wrestling and football coaching staff, and neither of this coaches teach at Northview, so they wouldn't be moving to escape their classroom only there athletic practices. BigToe you got the ball rolling on these transfers. If wouldn't have come up with grand plan and planted it in the  Schaefers head there would have never been an issue.

hahah think the Coach got fired..but their is better ways too do what they did and Im juat a high school fan..and I seen what Ov..did at Northview and the Heavy W...match and the kid from OV..faked a ankle injury win he was about too get pined; pretty sad..

Wow, its funny how people that really no nothing about this situation beside hear say "Know Everything"! All the proof is in the records and was proved! I had no influence on Mr. Shaffer and  his decision to move and he moved of his own free will and his own reasons. If you asked these boys they will tell you that this was the best choice for them. They are men and made the final decision to move.  Both boys are doing well and enjoy being at OV. If you look Northview rating for education is below state standards as OV is above standards by the Department of Education. You can say what you want but you do not know the facts and evidence brought forth!

Second of all as far as heavy weight, it seems to me that if you were paying attention. NV did land on his ankle and the offical stopped that match to check the injury. He then went back out there with a stretch tendon "confirmed by doctor" the next day, and ended up pinning the Northview heavy weight!

No matter what  is posted we chose to do what was right for our kids and they are better off! Maybe the real reason NV denied their transfered they knew they would get their @$$'es handed to them by our boys...