IHSWCA Classed Team State - Possible Date

Darrick Snyder

The only "problem" I would see with that date is that the sole purpose for the tournament would be to establish who is the best team in the state which may be difficult with such an early date. A lot of teams lineups may not be settled in this early...esp. those who have exceptional football teams. I know we cannot expect everything to  be perfect in these early stages...just pointing out a potential flaw in the date. I also realize this may be the only date that would work so thanks so much for your efforts!!!

The only "problem" I would see with that date is that the sole purpose for the tournament would be to establish who is the best team in the state which may be difficult with such an early date. A lot of teams lineups may not be settled in this early...esp. those who have exceptional football teams. I know we cannot expect everything to  be perfect in these early stages...just pointing out a potential flaw in the date. I also realize this may be the only date that would work so thanks so much for your efforts!!!

All teams also have different learning curves...depending  upon coaching styles, certain teams may not be to their full potential or have "peaked" yet.

Whatever date is chosen, it would determine who the best team in the state is on that particular day.  Just like our current team state, some teams may not "peak" a month after some wrestlers finished their individual seasons.

I know our county tournament is the weekend before Christmas, but I'm not sure which specific weekend it will fall on next season.  That could potentially cause serious scheduling problems.

I agree with Flighinstructor.  That might be fine for the first year.  But the goal should be at the end of the season.  When teams are supposed to be firing on all cylinders.  You don't have a championship in the middle of the season.  Our schedule has Conference the weekend before Sectionals.  The weekend before that makes sense to me.  Or see if teams would be willing to move their Conference to 2 weeks before Sectionals and have it the weekend before Sectionals.  Yes people will have to change their schedules but if they want to be a part of it (which I think they will if it is done right) then they will have to. 

For every team that doesnt have their lineup ready by end of Dec.  I can show you a team who is weaker due to sickness or injury by the end of the state series.  Just sayin.  Date looks good I would think a tourney being held on that date could hold and alternate or two in case a team drops out for the the team state. Thats what I would try to do if I was running a tourney that date.

For every team that doesnt have their lineup ready by end of Dec.  I can show you a team who is weaker due to sickness or injury by the end of the state series.  Just sayin.  Date looks good I would think a tourney being held on that date could hold and alternate or two in case a team drops out for the the team state. Thats what I would try to do if I was running a tourney that date.

Teams want to fill the schedule with concrete dates not a bunch of "what ifs."  If they don't, then they lose those two scheduling points and can't get them back at the end of the season.

Dec 22nd looks to have the least amount of current meets scheduled, so far I have heard of one.  So would you picka date later in the season that everyone will have to adjust the schedule to free up that date or have it on a date a handfull of meets might have to adjust date if they can.

And TripleB is right once again.  The NCAA NAtional Duals are in middle of season.

Lots of great comments everyone!  I agree that it would be ideal to have it later in the season.  I don't see that as a viable option right now.  The IHSAA will end the "wrestling season" after the Individual State next year.  Once we hit Jan. we run into all of the conference tournaments.  Let me know if I am thinking about it wrong, but that is kind of where I am at right now.

Any other tournaments Dec. 22?  Way to ruin it Gard! haha...Lets add your tournament to the Al Smith - make it 3 days and over 40 teams! haha...

Keep the discussion going and we will figure this thing out - together!

Other suggested dates?

Snyder 

You also need to look beyond 2012 for a date, it always seems to get hairy around the holidays with finding viable dates.  For instance, there are numerous events on December 17th this year with the holidays falling on the weekend.  Also if you try to do it over break, it gets complicated with some schools having shorter breaks than others.  

Having it on a Saturday would be ideal and easiest for casual fans to attend.  When you start having it during the week you will potentially hamper the attendance.

Thanks for jumping in Y2!  You now will get two slices of meat on your sandwich in the Al Smith Hospitality Room!

Hopefully, we all agree that we do not have to be married to a date forever.  This event should evolve and change as coaches and fans desire.  I guess I am really looking at us ironing out a definite date for next year.  Once that is decided, we can evaulate, discuss, debate and look at long term dates.

Thanks!

Snyder

I agree, you will have to have this tournament in December.  If you look at the 4 weeks in January, 1 is for Sectionals and most likely 2 are for conferences and the other (in the region at least) is the county championship.

Not sure if this has been said or not.  I really have not paid that much attention since I am not longer coaching, but why not have it the weekend after the Indv. meet.  If the IHSAA has nothing to do with it and the Ind. season is over it would not count as points against your reg. schedule meaning no school would have to lose out.  If there is a reason and this has been brought up before I apologize for bringing it up again.  I hate to see the Team State disappear.

Dan

Not sure if this has been said or not.  I really have not paid that much attention since I am not longer coaching, but why not have it the weekend after the Indv. meet.  If the IHSAA has nothing to do with it and the Ind. season is over it would not count as points against your reg. schedule meaning no school would have to lose out.  If there is a reason and this has been brought up before I apologize for bringing it up again.  I hate to see the Team State disappear.

Dan

IHSAA said any event of this nature had to be complete before the start of the individual state tournament.  The IHSAA would definetly hold it as an insult to there organization if the schools held an event right after without there consent.  I had mentioned previously holding it as a USA or HYWAY club team event about a month after state and just accept the fact a few guys maybe out due to spring sports.  But the fact it was not in season and would have to be recognized as a club event distracted from the interest (which I understand).  Though doing something of that nature would at least be a step in the right direction and I'm actually surprised its not been done previously.

If you guys want to do it as early as December 22nd, why not just make the Traicoff the Team State? Traicoff already has 8 or more of the state's top ranked programs in it. Cathedral always limps into that with a mixed bag line-up from the football playoffs, but most of the top teams are there already. Is it too far for E'ville teams?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.