Avon Wrestler at IU......

Just a note......Cole Brandt from Avon/little ole Southern Illinois Edwardsville beat a Division 1 IU wrestler.....Pretty good for a kid coming off a injury and nobody recruited.....Seems to me that some college coach's didn't do their homework......

We seen it coming though......Great job Cole.......Keep smiling kiddo.......

So, not recruiting a 2 year letterman that didn't place at state is not doing your homework?? I'd say there is a lot of college coaches out there "not doing their homework" then. He should feel fortunate he is getting the opportunity to wrestle for a school that is going Division 1

1.  Just a 2 year letterman because of the guys that were ahead of him maybe.....Only a couple of State qualifiers and placers.....

2.  His junior year he lost to Bryce Grimes from Lawrence North on Friday night 3-2.   Bryce went on to finish 2nd to Michael Duckworth by a loss of 2-0..

3.  His senior year he lost to Richard Morin of Mishawaka 2-1  who finished 6th at state.

4.  He does feel very fortunate and is very humble to be wrestling at the next level for a school that is going Division 1.....

5......  I am just saying that sometimes you might need to look a little deeper into the picture to understand what you are looking for......

Just one example that comes to mind....... What if the Colts had picked Ryan Leaf over Payton Manning????????  It could have easily happened but somebody was looking very deep into that picture thankfully.....

College coaches don't have the time to look "deeply" into EVERY Indiana state qualifier.  Indiana's state finals is not well attended by college coaches because the would rather go to Michigan to see 64 kids per weight class, Ohio and Illinois to see 48 kids per weight class or any other state rather than Indiana where you would only see 16 kids in a weight class.  There are definitely diamonds in the rough in Indiana due to our archaic system of no wrestle-backs at the semi-state and state level.  There are many wrestlers that do not get looks until late due to being a one time placer or just simply having multiple draws of death at semi-state. 

In my opinion thats where the High School coach comes into play. He needs to provide that kind of information to prospective schools that his wrestler may be looking at.

I know a wrestler that ran into the same opponent at semi-state junior and senior year, that oppent was runner up and champion those years, sometimes the draw and where you are put in the semi-state brackets makes a lot of difference.

Edwardsville is a good school so he should be proud and sounds like he is already proving himself.

Maybe he decided to attend the school he is at because it was the best fit for him.  Big Ten wrestling is a very tough place to be, and not everyone is ready to make that step.  That can be for various reasons, and it doesn't necessarily mean they can't compete at that level as we can see.  Cole is doing very well where he is at and seems to be satisfied with his decision.  He did have a good day at the Hoosier Duals, and the Avon Wrestling program is proud of his accomplishments.  We look forward to his continued success at the college level.  Good luck Cole and stay healthy!

Coach Blevins