Indy Area school with three gyms

Jake Riesen

We are looking for possible locations for next years team state tournament.  If you would like to be considered for a host of the event with some procedes coming your way please list the school and # of gyms.  Even fans can post on here with there schools.  The tenative date looks to be December 22 2012.

Suggestions so far:  Huntinton North

At Westfield High School we do use our Field House for our 16 team dual tournament this coming weekend.  8 mats down in one facility all 16 teams wrestling at once.  Could fit another 3 to 4 mats in the main gym as well.

Terry O'Neill

Head Coach

Westfield High School

Coach O'Neill,

Just out of curiousity what the capacity for the field house as far as seating.  Also what capacity would the gymnasium hold.  This sounds like a viable option right now.  Also would you mind if I put you in contact with some people who want to get this tournament going? 

Keep them coming guys.  I will be looking into the U of I field house.  Seems like they will need some events for it in the upcoming years.   Maybe wrestling team state can help fill that void.

Yes, the teams will be practicing their for the Super Bowl minus the Colts.

TTipton,

I will have to ask my athletic department about the seating capacity of the fieldhouse and main gymnasium. 

Please have anyone interested contact me.  I'd be happy to help and see what I can find out for them.

ONeillt@wws.k12.in.us

317-867-6923

Coach O'neill,

Either I or one of the coaches involved with the team state next year will be in contact with you.  Is it fair to assume Westfield will be in for a class team state?  December 4th we are bringing several coaches down to the coaches meeting and want to know for sure where you stand on the issue.  Thank you for stepping up and being a man of integrity.

Arsenal Tech - has the wrestling history and history as an old civil war arsenal, ISWA state used to be held here for years, celebrating our 100 year anniversary next year, undergoing an $11.2 million facelift for/from Super Bowl, 80 acre campus, centrally located dowtown Indianapolis with skyline in the backdrop, logical location for travel from around the state, 3 gyms, 8 mats in main gym plus new spotlight addition like Conseco for finals, 14-16 mats total if needed, etc. etc.  Plus our respect in the wrestling community is about break WIDE open.  We recently hosted the John Hurrle Memorial, are hosting an Iron Man tourney this summer with 3 more planned the following year, on top of hosting the City Tournament now, and looking to bid for ISWA state again, our Sectional, and this Team State Tournament. Plus we have Mark Durham. :)  We're bringing back the legacy....FYI. Please consider Arsenal Tech a legitimate option....

Arsenal Tech - has the wrestling history and history as an old civil war arsenal, ISWA state used to be held here for years, celebrating our 100 year anniversary next year, undergoing an $11.2 million facelift for/from Super Bowl, 80 acre campus, centrally located dowtown Indianapolis with skyline in the backdrop, logical location for travel from around the state, 3 gyms, 8 mats in main gym plus new spotlight addition like Conseco for finals, 14-16 mats total if needed, etc. etc.  Plus our respect in the wrestling community is about break WIDE open.  We recently hosted the John Hurrle Memorial, are hosting an Iron Man tourney this summer with 3 more planned the following year, on top of hosting the City Tournament now, and looking to bid for ISWA state again, our Sectional, and this Team State Tournament. Plus we have Mark Durham. :)  We're bringing back the legacy....FYI. Please consider Arsenal Tech a legitimate option....

Downtown Indy would certainly add some prestige.  I used to wrestle back in the seventies at AAU events at AT.  I know Tech is east of downtown but is it within walking distance of hotels/restaurants downtown?

There are several centrally located venues(Warren Central, Ben Davis, U of I, Tech, Southport, Lawrence Central, and Perry Meridian) but one that I have not heard mention of is Hinkle Fieldhouse it was used for Indy Nationals one year and was great. Also as mentioned earlier Mark Durham would probably have insight on other venues around Indy in researching venues for Indy Nats.

TTipton,

In response to your question, yes I would be in favor of classing a team state (I grew up in Ohio and we had 3 different classes).  I'll be happy to help with anything I can whether it be in our facility or another.  I would like to attend the IHSWCA meeting on Sunday however I will be unable to make it as we are hosting a youth wrestling tournament on Sunday (again 8 mats down in our fieldhouse for the youngsters on Sunday).  Interested to hear how it goes.

Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.