Wrestlers playing Football

CoachW33

I?m a firm believer that wrestling helps make better football players as I?m sure most of you are as well. (Those who played both anyway) I?m interested in finding out how many football players wrestle. In particular, more successful programs, I took the latest football rankings and listed them below. If you could help by giving me a rough or actual number of football players who wrestle and any notable statistic I would appreciate it. I understand some of these schools may not have wrestling teams; I would appreciate the help narrowing down those teams.

Name         # Football                          #Wrestlers on Football Team

Lafayette Central Catholic  

Pioneer

Linton-Stockton  

Indpls Lutheran  

Sheridan  

Rockville  

South Adams  

Milan  

West Central  

North Central (F'burg)  

FW Luers

Andrean  

North Putnam

Evansville Mater Dei  

Speedway

Bremen  

Southridge    

Indpls Ritter    

Churubusco    

Paoli  

Indpls Chatard    

West Lafayette    

SB St Joseph's    

Hamilton Heights  

Eastbrook  

Corydon Central  

Heritage Hills    

Jimtown  

Western Boone  

Brownstown Central  

Evansville Reitz    

Indpls Cathedral  

Columbus East    

East Central  

New Palestine  

Hammond Morton  

Leo  

FW Dwenger  

New Haven    

Evansville Central  

Warren Central    

Carmel    

Penn  

Ben Davis  

Homestead  

Hamilton Southeastern  

Lawrence Central  

Lake Central  

Castle  

Avon  

Homestead has, to my knowledge, no wrestlers from last season's wrestling team on this seasons varsity football team.  There is apparently a transfer from out of state that currently plays football and will wrestle this season and there is a good sized lineman that might wrestle this, his senior year, after taking off his sophomore and junior years.  But for your stats, I would say that HHS has zero wrestlers on this seasons football team.

i believe on bishop chatards football team there are 12 with not all being varsity for both sports that is the varsity and and jv rooster with the kids who are planning on wrestling this season or wrestled last year and are debating coming back out. there are also numerous freshmen football players who also planning on wrestling but dont know the exact number tell the season

I know wrestling makes better football players... My question is how to get other coaches on the same page? Most of our kids get told by their football coaches to lift in the off season with the team or set the bench in the fall...

I know wrestling makes better football players... My question is how to get other coaches on the same page? Most of our kids get told by their football coaches to lift in the off season with the team or set the bench in the fall...

Agreed they are asked (told sometimes) by many coaches to lift weights in the winter.  Most end up coming to weights less as the winter goes on.  They then hardly show up for spring lifting.  Then wonder why they are not gaining muscle when they seriously start lifting in the summer right before the season.  Seems like staying in shape and wrestling woudl be good for the winter then they can get into lifting seriously over the spring and summer.  Probably with greater results.  Somehow not all football coaches see it that way though.

Lift weights two or three times per week during the wrestling season using the same platform the football team uses with slight variations for wrestling specific exercises.

Lift weights two or three times per week during the wrestling season using the same platform the football team uses with slight variations for wrestling specific exercises.

We do this at Busco, so does the Basketball team.  The football coaches really encourage their kids to either wrestle or play basketball because we all do asimilar weights program (BFS).  In turn we push our kids to run track, because they also do the same lifts.  If they do three sports they will be lifting in the same program all year long. 

The problem that I have seen is that many wrestling coaches dont feel that BFS helps for wrestling.  While it may not be perfect it does produce really strong atheletes.  I personally would rather have the kids out for the team than to fight over which types of lifts they will do.  One of our football coaches was willing to draw up a list of wrestling specific auxillary lifts to go along with the BFS core lifts.  It works pretty well for us.

I think anouther issue that football and wrestling coaches butt heads on is weight cutting. This to me is just as big an issue as the lifting is.  I personally dont push our kids to cut, but many do it on there own.  We have not had any real issues with it, but I could see how a football coach wouldnt be really thrilled about that aspect of wrestling.

We do have a school wide lifting program that all sports now do, however that hasn't done much to curb the issue.  I think it's more of a philosophy issue.  Though it would be nice if e realized some of the best football years we had did coincide with some of the best wrestling years where kids were involved in both. 

I agree the weight cutting us usually a football concern too, but again a somewhat miss informed one.  If wrestling coaches are doing it right there big guys will only be dropping weight according to there weight lose program so nothing extreme.  I'm guessing most coaches are not forcing football guys to drop weight.  I'm also guessing most weight lost is hindering fat that is leavig the football guy more agile and still strong which helps them move better for football.  And lastly most guys will still have the whole spring and summer to fatten up to football weight and strengthen up if wrestling isn't just maintaining muscle.  But to most coaches that have a straight football they seem to see the fall backs of wrestling instead the benefits (even when shown examples). 

I think vest way to fix this is getting the youth football kids into wrestling.  For one they may be hooked enough to not be persuaded out of wrestling by a later footballinded coach. Two the football minded coach may see those kids coming up through the system and realize those kids gained some skill through wrestling.  The other thing would be to keep the lines of communication open with the middle school and high school coaches to try to continue persuading them of the benefits of both programs working together.

Guess we are going off topic though.  What other programs have wreatlers on the football team.  So far not to big of numbers, hope that is just a coincidence of the first few teams and not a sign of coach encouraged football specialization being more prevalent in the state. 

Tanner Adams rushed for 219 yards last night to help Jimtown beat Concord 30-16. Also his brother Casey Adams tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. Nice job guys!

They tore it up last night. There was a point where Tanner was getting a first down almost every play.

Plus, Emelio Forrest caught a 27 yard pass for a touchdown and Dustin Chafin had 9 tackles with 4 assists, more than anyone else for Jimtown.

First off there are not many succesfull Football coaches if any at all that would discourage there players from wrestling. Do they hate when you wrestle during football Yes but after the season they are all for it. Believe me they know the benefits of wrestling on the football field.  True most coaches want there players at all workouts during season and in off season but believe me there isn't a high school football coach in the state that benches a kid for missing an off season practice for a wrestling function or for wrestling in the winter.  If you don't play a winter sport you bet your bottom they want you in the gym but to say they are benching players because they wrestle instead of workout is just ridicules. If you have a coach that does then I'm sure you do not have a succesfull football program.

. If you have a coach that does then I'm sure you do not have a succesfull football program.

it appears you don't believe a football coach would ever tell his kids to not wrestle and that is just false. My sons don't play football but the h.s. where my oldest wrestled has a coach that did/does indeed tell his players not to wrestle and Ive heard it directly from the athletes themselves that this occurred. The reason? He doesn't want

his guys losing any weight at all, zero.  How successful are

they?  They always go at least 8-1 or 7-2, win a game or two

in the post season and then usually bow out.  Is this a successful

program?  I would argue it is not but I bet if you asked

coaches around the state if they would take that kind of

success year in and year out they would all say heck yes.I

have a problem with this guy because won one sectional

title in the last 7 years yet, the commitment he asks of his

players you'd think his program was in the

championship game every other year.  If his team was a

machine I could stomach him being so demanding.  So I

just want to point out it DOES happen.  Maybe it's rare but I've seen it first hand.  Btw, it's a 5a school.

it appears you don't believe a football coach would ever tell his kids to not wrestle and that is just false. My sons don't play football but the h.s. where my oldest wrestled has a coach that did/does indeed tell his players not to wrestle and Ive heard it directly from the athletes themselves that this occurred. The reason? He doesn't want

his guys losing any weight at all, zero.  How successful are

they?  They always go at least 8-1 or 7-2, win a game or two

in the post season and then usually bow out.  Is this a successful

program?  I would argue it is not but I bet if you asked

coaches around the state if they would take that kind of

success year in and year out they would all say heck yes.I

have a problem with this guy because won one sectional

title in the last 7 years yet, the commitment he asks of his

players you'd think his program was in the

championship game every other year.  If his team was a

machine I could stomach him being so demanding.  So I

just want to point out it DOES happen.  Maybe it's rare but I've seen it first hand.  Btw, it's a 5a school.

Unfortunately I don't think it's rare, especially at larger schools.  I don't think 100% of the blame should fall on football coaches.  I do think that the advent of year round speed/agility at the local strip mall as well as 7 on 7 deals, combines, etc are other factors pulling potential football players away from wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...

Rockville has 7 wrestlers on their football team.  A few of the wrestlers on that team are the studs of the football team or the future studs.  However, in rockville's case, the head football coach isnt necessarily for wrestling.  I think that is rediculous.  he doesnt like the thought of his kids cutting weight and the fact that they miss "quality lifting time" to b on the mat.  However, during this time on the mat they get intense workouts, get in great physical condition, and become more aggressive...  his stance does not make sense to me.  if u look back at the glory days of a WRC team by the name of Seeger, most of their football team wrestled because their head coach wanted his football players on the mat.  those seeger teams were absolute terrors on the football field and had two state appearances, one of which they won.  I coach wrestling at Rockville and i can c the difference the wrestlers make on the football field.  wrestling and football fundamentals can go hand in hand at times. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.