Weight Class Change Petition

petro330

The following is a petition to change the High School wrestling weights back to the old weights of 2010 - 11 season. I presented the petition to a group of coaches at a recent camp and I got 43 coaches signatures from seven (7) different states all supporting the petition. I got ZERO coaches who supported the new weight change. My Goal is to get 15,000 coaches / officials and wrestling fans signatures from across the country to sign the petition, so if you support the following petition please email me confirming that you support the petition with the following information;

School District / College / Club    State        Your Name    Coach / Fan / Official

Norchester                                      PA            M Petrucelli      COACH

My Email Address - PETRO330@aol.com

Or make it easy log onto link and enter information:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dGlfNE1ZSG9aRE5Nb3lhZHJ6Xzh3emc6MQ#gid=0

I will be posting this petition on as many Wrestling Forums as I possibly can and if you are in support please do the same and if you are at a camp and or Tournament please print it out the petition and get signatures to right the wrong the NHFS did to the sport.

ALSO I will NOT POST any Coaches / Officials / FANS Name on any medium who support this Petition. I will present this to the PIAA and NHFS Board when I get to my Goal of signatures and email confirmations

NHFS High School Weight Class Change Petition

July 25, 2001

We the coaches of the great sport of wrestling petition the NHFS to right the wrong that they did in changing the High School weight classifications and change them back to the same classes that were in place for the 2010 - 11 wrestling season as follows;

We petition to change the weight classification as stated above based upon the simple common sense facts as follows;

1.      The Data you gathered (weight) from wrestlers to establish the new weight classes is flawed, if the changes were made based upon the raw weight that the kids weighed in at without taking the % body fat of the wrestlers into consideration then why have weight certifications (OPC)? Your analysis should be based upon what wrestlers were certified to wrestle at and in most case where they will compete at.

2.      The following is a much better analysis done from analyzing 71 PA district 1 rosters encompassing 2149 wrestlers based upon the weight that they were certified to compete. This is based upon the old weight classes.

Break down by weight class

Old Weight Class # Of wrestlers % Of Total wrestlers

103 140 6.5%

112 152 7.1% 103 ? 119 = 22.6%

119 194  9%

125  192  8.9%

130 178 8.3%

135 169 7.9% 125-145 = 43%

140  198  9.2%

145 188 8.7%

152 159 7.4%

160 146 6.8% 152 ? 171 = 21.4%

171 149 7%

189  132  6%

215  100 4.6% 189 ? 285 = 13%

285 51 2.4%

The true wrestling weights (OPC Certified) dictate that eliminating a weight class in the middle is truly ridiculous and defies common sense.

3. These changes hurt the quality of wrestling, by adding a upper weight class at 195 lbs you are now providing a varsity opportunity to a Football player who is most likely a 1st or 2nd year wrestler who was recruited off the football field to fill this spot. Adding a upper weight also has us competing with Basketball to recruit a Football player to fill the upper weights 

4. By eliminating a middle weight class at 135 you are taking a varsity opportunity away from a wrestler who has been dedicated to the sport, put the time in (many since first grade) and deserves and opportunity at wrestling in High School. By eliminating the 135 lb class you are going against one of the biggest lessons that we should instill in our wrestlers you get out of the sport what you put into it, which is also a life lesson.

5.  By adding a upper weight class High School wrestling now has more upper weight classes than college wrestling;

New HS Upper Weights - 182,195,220 and Hwt.

College Upper Weights - 184, 197 and Hwt

This truly defies logic or promotes obesity in High School by having one more upper weight class in High School than in College.

We the Coaches hope you review the above information and reconsider your changes and put the old weight classes back in place for the betterment of the Sport and to encourage young wrestlers to continue to work hard at both the sport and in life and that their hard work can and will be rewarded.

Thank You

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why make it such a big ordeal you confuse these kids I personally like them 89 to 71 is a crazy jump with 82 94 and 220 that is perfect for the kids between 200 and 180. What is your problem with the weight change and is ISWA going with the old weight classes or what?

Why make it such a big ordeal you confuse these kids I personally like them 89 to 71 is a crazy jump with 82 94 and 220 that is perfect for the kids between 200 and 180. What is your problem with the weight change and is ISWA going with the old weight classes or what?

And just like that, the self imposed exile of C/D/W ends.  Approximately 75 hours after telling a hopeful message board that he was done posting for the rest of the season, the poster now known as WC182Dad jumped in on this thread.  Welcome back old chum. 

Seem this would have served it's purpose better if completed last year when changes were still being discussed.  We have heard about the possible changes for two seasons now, so a petition after the fact seems a little to late.

Sorry I had to speak on this I agree with MattM they should of pushed more last year. Why punish the bigger guys. Sorry to interupt your board it just seemed hursh for this guy to say that this new weight class is promoting over weight kids.

Seem this would have served it's purpose better if completed last year when changes were still being discussed.  We have heard about the possible changes for two seasons now, so a petition after the fact seems a little to late.

It does make one think of Don Quixote and tilting at windmills.

i think a petition at this point is gonna be a waste of time.....the decision is already been made.....just live with it......after this initial year it'll be no different than the last time they changed the weights......everyone will adapt to it just fine.....

You really think this weight class change promotes overweight kids. WoW my so wrestled 89 weighing 82 his freshman year its cutting alot to get to 71 he is weighing 190 now 182 is perfect. Thats just mt opinion.

Are you saying cutting from 182 to 171 is alot but 190 to 182 is perfect????? 

I was refering to after condioning he was 82 before he was about 190, cutting to 71 is hard before condioning as a senior is still 190 , yes 82 is perfect in his situation. As a SB he wrestled 175 he has not gained much weight, just muscle and loss of baby fat. Thats all I was meaning. I didnt like the comment of the overweight issue some kids are just born bigger they shouldnt have to suffer thats it.

You really think this weight class change promotes overweight kids. WoW my so wrestled 89 weighing 82 his freshman year its cutting alot to get to 71 he is weighing 190 now 182 is perfect. Thats just mt opinion.

Didn't sliga weigh about 182 as a freshman and finished 3rd at 189? also I'm 90% sure Reece from indian creak weighed about 185-190 this past year and went on to win state at 215 and the 215 runner up was about 190 too... I can see an argument about not wanting to add to the bigger weight classes. I bet you won't seen a 135 pounder jump up to 152 and win state... that's right they're not allowed too. As said all that's going to happen is football players are going to get added to teams to wrestle the extra big weight class. If he weighs 190 189 would have been better for him. and 182 to 171 isn't too bad of a cut and 182 to 189 isn't too bad of a jump. So what if he's a freshman most freshman in the upper weights don't get to be varsity.

Maybe Duckworth might have went there. So what you think is we need to make it easier for freshman? Freshmen should earn there dues. Also Sliga lost to Atwood and I know Atwood would have went 182 so that keeps Sliga at third and 195 would have been a much weeker weight class than 189 was that year. Now I understand you're gonna be biased towards the new weight classes cause it helps your son out but that doesn't mean it's right. The new weight classes took 4 very competitive weight classes and cut them down to 3 and took 3 of the less competitive weight classes and moved then up to 4. It's alot weight to cut and jump weight in the heavier weights then it is the lower weights so why mess with something that wasn't broke... I understand wanting to change 103 but they could have done that with out changing every weight.

It was a close match with Atwood, Johnson Jones stuck Sliga in SS  Atwood would of probably went 95 he was pretty big at the begining of the season when he beat Jones at North Mont. Either way we are happy with the addition.

Duckworth  wrestled Sliga allready, beat him 8-2, with Sliga's points being escapes.  Sliga is good, but he still lost to  Duckworth, Johnson-Jones, and Atwood that year.

It was a close match with Atwood, Johnson Jones stuck Sliga in SS  Atwood would of probably went 95 he was pretty big at the begining of the season when he beat Jones at North Mont. Either way we are happy with the addition.

Atwood didn't bring his A game at state and I'm sure he would have went 182 cause he was recruited at 184... 195 wouldn't have made sence.

I agree that the middle weight(135) should not have been done away with. The middle weights are where the largest amount of student atheletes weigh. The 215 pound class doen't even correspond to anything at the collegiate level. Look at Jake O'Brian: 3 x state champ and a great wrestler but too small to wrestle heavyweight and too big for 197.  At least the smaller guys can grow into the lower weights for college.

when was the last time Indiana had a wrestler that wrestled above 171 (powell and Wissel only got up to 171 in high school) AA in college compaired to those that have wrestled 135/140? I think Wagner from Snider might have been the last one but I could be wrong. I know Hernandez, Angel, and Alex all wrestled at 135 and AA in college while Howe wrestled 140 one year. Any others? Feel free to add D2 and D3 if you want. I know Walpole is added to 140 there... Yes I understand what's done is done I just agree with the guy wanting the petition.

I agree that the middle weight(135) should not have been done away with. The middle weights are where the largest amount of student atheletes weigh. The 215 pound class doen't even correspond to anything at the collegiate level. Look at Jake O'Brian: 3 x state champ and a great wrestler but too small to wrestle heavyweight and too big for 197.  At least the smaller guys can grow into the lower weights for college.

I agree about the 215 weight class. I notice more and more 215 size wrestlers going 285 anyways might as well prepare them for college. the weay I look at it is a 215-220 either has enough fat to cut to 195 or enough muscle to compete at 285. O'Brian would have been able to win state at 285 and he would have been more prepared for college. 285 would have been a whole lot more exciting if the 215 pounders were included.

I believe Sliga will AA in college, from 160 to 200 are tough strong kids I love to watch much more than 103. Maybe they should of just added one weight instead of taking one away as well. Im just a huge wrestling fan and watching Jones wrestle was great for the sport . I believe he got wrestle of tour. in everyone they had just about. I believe Willis could AA in college as well at 74

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.