Grappling With a Decision: New Wrestling Organization Challenges USA Wrestling

IMAWRESTLER

You are seeing the same with National tournaments as you are with organizations. AAU, NUWAY, USAW, Roller productions etc. have all been battling each other for awhile now and as for the wrestlers in our area, we hit them all at some point in the season. I guess we'll see if this waters down wrestling and hurts it or it expands the sport and helps it. Time will tell.

Good article. I think we've already seen the "watering down" effect with the different organizations. They want to run their events concurrent to each other. It seems that the free enterprise within the wrestling organizations or the competition between them will actually hurt the competitors. We've been to national events where some athletes you expect and want/need to see have chosen to go to an event put on by a different sanctioning body. If and when their numbers begin to grow and they want to offer more "stuff" will their costs rise as well? I would think so. It is a business after all. If they all are really trying to better the growth of youth wrestling, how about a national event that combines the best of all. Each organization offers their top six at each age and weight, qualification to a "Grand Championship". If youth development is their goal, they should put their money where their mouth is !! ;D ;D

IMO competition is never a bad thing. Locally, HYWAY will always struggle where other NUWAY affiliated organizations won't because the ISWA is a fantastic outfit. ISWA is responsive to the Indiana wrestling community and makes every attempt to give the people what they want. NUWAY programs are challenging USAW programs in other states because their state organizations suck. It's really that simple.

Greg, could you point me to the location on either the NUWAY or HYWAY site that tells me they are a non-profit organization. I can seem to find it.

You didn't look very hard all of the NUWAY states are non profit.  contact Dave Dean for more info.

You didn't look very hard all of the NUWAY states are non profit.  contact Dave Dean for more info.

It's true I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but I thought I looked pretty hard for that information. I can't locate the words non-profit or 501-3C in any of the information. Perhaps you can help me.

My point behind this is if NUWAY is a true non-profit, then financial statements would be available to it's members and all of us could see exactly what resources are being distributed and to whom.

We drove 5+ hours to Hyway state last year in Huntington.  It was very well run and my son really enjoyed it.  I hope Hyway continues to expand and grow in the southern part of Indiana.  Having more options benefits the kids.  I see no downside to having multiple organizations to choose from.  My son enjoys both.

I see it like this, just like any other business it is survival of the fittest.  "The cream always rises to the top".  Why not have a little competition, it has never hurt anyone.  I have always been a big fan if ISWA but during our four year stint in Michigan I saw a lot of things that would be beneifical to any state.  A few things I liked about Michigan were that they had paid offcials at every tournament.  Too many kids calling the shots in Indiana.  I like the fact that they had a group of pairing folks that did every tournament. We have way too many club volunteers pairing a tournament.  First and foremost was the cost involved wrestling in Michigan compared to Indiana.  This past year I spent well over $300 for two weekends of our state tournament and did not stay in a hotel.  In Michigan I would have spent $200 and spent the weekend at a hotel.  I know "Why don't you move back to Michigan if it is so great" well it is not an opition.  I would just like some of these ideas to get some serious consideration in the years to come.  Wrestling has had a huge impact on my life and I would hate to lose some future champions because of the issues I have stated above.  As they say on TV "Jus sayin"

Bryan Bailey   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.