Who will have the top Semi State

DemOGuy

I would say New Castle has an edge this year over Merrillville. The region was a little young and down last year, but this should be a more impressive year. I also think Fort Wayne will continue to improve and might become more of a contender.

Here are some stats as far as placers and qualifiers returning from each semi-state.

Merrillville

Champs - 2

Runner-ups - 2

Placers - 9

Qualifiers - 20

Fort Wayne

Champs - 0

Runner-ups - 1

Placers - 7

Qualifiers - 19

New Castle

Champs - 2

Runner-ups - 2

Placers - 10

Qualifiers - 14

Evansville

Champs - 1

Runner-ups - 0

Placers - 9

Qualifiers - 13

Most of those numbers seem relatively close.  To answer the original question Merriville and New Castle have the most potential for finalist if we go off last years state final or placer numbers.  Merriville has a distinct advantage in the area of total wrestlers with state experience too.  Evansville looks like they may take a slight hit this year due to a senior heavy group last state finals.

Merrillville does have even more qualifiers returning than I realized. I knew there were a lot of young guys, but that's more than I would have guessed. They also work to find great competition during the year and have fantastic summer programs in place. It seems like they'll bounce back from have a down (for them) year last year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.