what's the rule?

Can someone tell me what the rules state in this situation. Once the wrestling season officially starts, can a kid wrestle in a tournament such as the Border Wars Nationals, or any other tournament that is not part of his schools schedule? I was told by a coach that they could not without risking their eligibility for that high school season. Or are there stipulations that go along with this? Such as the high school coach cannot be with them at these non school events, but they can be? I personally don't see how going to these tournaments can be a rules violation because I see so many kids from Indiana at these tournaments.

I would recommend contacting the IHSAA directly. They will provide you with the correct interpretation of the rule.  I wouldn't trust (although made with good intentions) any other interpretation on this board or any other venue.

Without going into to many details here is the basic answer to eligibility in high school sports.

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=1rJplk2tVZE%3D&tabid=38

7. Participation

a. During Contest Season

--You participate in try-outs or demonstrations of athletic ability in that sport as a prospective post-secondary school studentathlete.

--You participate in a non-school contest that required participation during school time, without gaining approval by the school

principal or his/her designee.

--You participate in a practice with or against players not belonging to your school.

--You participate in a non-school-sponsored contest without an approved waiver.

--You attend a non-school camp.

--You attend and participate in a student-clinic.

Wrestling's first official contest date for this season is Nov. 14th according to this IHSAA document

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/calendars/1112SeasonsataGlance.pdf

Referencing this information should make any talk with the IHSAA a lot easier  to get through.

Without going into to many details here is the basic answer to eligibility in high school sports.

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=1rJplk2tVZE%3D&tabid=38

7. Participation

a. During Contest Season

--You participate in try-outs or demonstrations of athletic ability in that sport as a prospective post-secondary school studentathlete.

--You participate in a non-school contest that required participation during school time, without gaining approval by the school

principal or his/her designee.

--You participate in a practice with or against players not belonging to your school.

--You participate in a non-school-sponsored contest without an approved waiver.

--You attend a non-school camp.

--You attend and participate in a student-clinic.

Wrestling's first official contest date for this season is Nov. 14th according to this IHSAA document

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/calendars/1112SeasonsataGlance.pdf

Referencing this information should make any talk with the IHSAA a lot easier  to get through.

Well.......in my opinion, the only rule that applies to what I am asking about would be "You participate in a non-school-sponsored event without an approved waiver". What is and where would you get this "approved waiver"? And if that is so, I would guess that there have been ALOT of ineligible kids wrestling that did not have this waiver.

Thanks MattM for the info.

Well.......in my opinion, the only rule that applies to what I am asking about would be "You participate in a non-school-sponsored event without an approved waiver". What is and where would you get this "approved waiver"? And if that is so, I would guess that there have been ALOT of ineligible kids wrestling that did not have this waiver.

Thanks MattM for the info.

Well you would have to petition the IHSAA for a waiver which then has to be cleared by your school too.  Basically the event couldn't occur during a school conflict since the IHSAA by laws say your have a commitment to your school first.  My guess would be the IHSAA doesn't hand out to many of these since their are not many occasion during the actual wrestling season that warrant allowing them. It would be more for sports like gymnastics where the main part of their national qualification season sometimes coincides with the high school season. 

But as Y2 said and I posted as long as the contest occurs before your high schools schools official contest date (earliest possible is Nov. 14th) you are OK.  If its still the pre-season or just the first few weeks of practice I believe you are OK without needing any paperwork form the IHSAA.  By the way middle school students do not fall under this criteria. so they could participate at any point in these events.

CLIFF KEEN BORDER WARS NATIONAL FOLKSTYLE CHAMPIONSHIPS

November 6&7, 2010

Kellogg Arena  ~ Battle Creek, MI

As of last year there could not be a high school tournament before the 15th of November and it would therefore not fall under this category as to my understanding.

It is a great tournament to get ready for the season.

one more question.......what if a kid is playing football for his high school team but wants to wrestle in the indianamat.com tournament in september?......the "contest" season has already begun for football at that point......is that a rules violation becasue he is in another sport, or does it just apply to the same sport you are in?

It only applies to that current sport season.  Many wrestlers that are in spring sports also participate in weekend wrestling tournaments. We had some football players in the tournament last year.

i figured that to be the case but thought i would ask.......thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.