Perry Meridan

cennt1

I am not a big Perry supporter, but what a year they have had. Maybe the best year any Indiana team has ever had.

High School and Middle school state champs. They won all the ISWA state championships. Nick Walpole won U of I first Div II

national title (perry grad) and they just won the Disney Duals. That is a great 365 days. Coach Tonte has got it rollin. Let's go catch them!!

Not a supporter huh? sounds like a set up....

Anyhow, they indeed had a great year.

However, better watch out for the wildcats next year.

Which Wildcats do you speak of?  The LN ones or the MD ones or another one?

PM will not rest on past achievements.  One of only a few teams at Disney not to bring graduated wrestlers or ringers from other schools.

As a Perry alumni, I have been proud of the wrestling program for 20+ years.  It has been an extremely impressive run for the past decade for Coach Tonte, the rest of the coaches and all of the wrestlers who have been in that room.  They continue to lay the foundation and set goals for the next group of Falcon wrestlers to work towards.  Good luck next year and keep making all of the former Falcon wrestlers proud.

Perry has had a heck of a year.  The type of year we all dream of!  They were very impressive in disney and represented Indiana very well.  I will be losing lots of sleep over the Falcons!  Tonte you should pay for me to see a shrink regarding all of the loss and sleep and stress your team causes me.

As a side note, I would bet any amount of money that if you asked the perry coaches and wrestlers about thier favorite aspect of an incredible year EVERYONE of them would say competing and accomplishing their goals as a TEAM.  The only thing that worries me more than teams like Perry is the idea of losing team state.

Snyder

As a side note, I would bet any amount of money that if you asked the perry coaches and wrestlers about thier favorite aspect of an incredible year EVERYONE of them would say competing and accomplishing their goals as a TEAM.  The only thing that worries me more than teams like Perry is the idea of losing team state.

Snyder

I bet McKinley would have something different to say about that...

You might be right Jimtown 138, but i bet you would be surprised.  Ive coached a handful of state champs - Hinton, Day, Harper, Sandefer.  EVERYONE of them constantly talked about their major goal being winning a TEAM State Title.  Ian Hinton finished his incredible career devasted that we lost in the team state finals to Mater Dei...not happy that he won his second Ind. State Title.  I have heard and read on here that Coach Tonte said the same exact thing about Chico Adams and Nick Walpole.  I have not actually talked to McKinley, but I bet he cares more about his team winning the title next year than himself.  Just my opinion.  Maybe Coach Tonte can shed some light on it.  Snyder

I can appreciate the Mishawaka team and individual state champs for sure. Perry is definitely on a roll and are to be reckoned with, that's for sure. But it's hard to believe anyone who has been an individual state champ would give it up for a team state championship. Maybe some of these guys said what they said, because that's what you wanted to hear...

We will have to agree to disagree Jimtown.  I saw their faces...the pain...I have no doubt in my mind that Team State was more important to them...We don't talk about Individual State at Mishawaka...just team state...despite that fact we have had a lot of success at Individual State.  Our focus on the TEAM has made our individuals better.

Sidney Logan was a state qualifier this year.  He went undefeated at Disney...did not have a close match.  I think he will contend for an Individual State Title.  There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Team State is more important to him.  After Disney, I talked to him about how great he looked and how awesome his training has been this off-season.  I told him he will be competing for an Individual State Title next year.  With no hesitation his exact words were, "I don't really care about winning individual state.  It would be cool, but I just want to win another team state title".

That's just my guys, but man do I love them.  Alex White was ranked 5th in state...dropped out of the semi-state so he could be ready for team state.  He just told me the other day it was the best decision he ever made.

Snyder

I can appreciate the Mishawaka team and individual state champs for sure. Perry is definitely on a roll and are to be reckoned with, that's for sure. But it's hard to believe anyone who has been an individual state champ would give it up for a team state championship. Maybe some of these guys said what they said, because that's what you wanted to hear...

Couldn't agree more with this post.  Let me start by saying when I was in h.s. there was no dual team state champ so it is foreign to me as a compeitior.  I have been associated with team state only as a parent and my kids probably will never compete with thier team very far into the team state series.  That being said, I would look very funny at a kid that told me he would take a team title over an individual title.  I have seen Coach Snyder post this quote from Ian Hinton more than once and each time I read it I am mystified.  Wrestling is the ultimate individual sport and that is why if I could hire only wrestlers to my firm, I would.  The team aspect of sports (football, et al) allows for too much blame gaming.  On the mat, no one to blame but yourself.  You win or fail on your own merits.  I'm glad that Coach Snyder has the team machine that he has built but I find it bizarre that, apparently, all people associated with the Mishawaka program gain more enjoyment out of a team title than individual titles.  Doesn't seem very "wrestler-like."  

It is hard to fathom for most of the state because only a select number of teams prepare to win a team state title.  Most of teams in the state focus on conference team championships and getting kids to Conseco.

Unfortunately only about 10 coaches start the year off with a "we are going to win state" speech.  The others are starting their seasons out with a speech talking about winning sectional, conference or winning the golden wrestling shoe trophy against their arch rival.

Unfortunately only about 10 coaches start the year off with a "we are going to win state" speech.  The others are starting their seasons out with a speech talking about winning sectional, conference or winning the golden wrestling shoe trophy against their arch rival.

Maybe if everyone can band together and get a classed IHSWCA tourney, then more teams could see the "team" side 0f the sport. In our conference, winning the conference tourney is HUGE because theres very small chance to take sectionals becuase of the larger schools, let alone to dream about state. Its very rare to have more than 2 teams, if any, with a full roster going into the conference meet.

Getting a chance to take a trip to State as a TEAM would be huge in any of the communities in our conference.

...but back to the topic; Congratulations to Perry Meridian and their success. It's great to have a team with that much success in Indiana. IT strives other programs to get better and catch them!

I know Jared loved winning Ind state but he is all about Team, I believe coach Snyder is correct the Team State Title is what has been the main focus his hole Perry carreer. He is going to be a great coach one day. Also good luck to the Indy boys at Fargo I believe IN will have a great showing with possibly 4 or 5 in the finals. Go getm

It is hard to fathom for most of the state because only a select number of teams prepare to win a team state title.  Most of teams in the state focus on conference team championships and getting kids to Conseco.

Yeah, but even if we classed the team portion their would still be only 30 coaches that would stand up in front of their kids and talk about winning a team title at the beginning of the season.  I just really don't get the "over the top" infatuation Mish has about winning a team title.  As I stated before, "very unwrestler-like."  Frankly, if I was a coach and some kid said he was more interested in winning a team title than an individual title, I'd question his committment to my program.  Let the boo's rain down but that's how I feel.  And maybe Snyder is just posturing to try and get team state saved, who knows? 

Yes I can shed some light. It's unbelievable to me how some people don't get it. I did not wrestle under the team state system but man I wish I would have. I was a three sport athlete and in the spirit of athletics having a team rallying behind each other and cheering for each other and training in the off season together for a purpose can not be matched. And again I wrestled in the old school system. But I want use my testimony because some of you think it's all about me. In fact its not. It's all about the kids. All of them. Sam Tasseff, Joe Klinesmith, Daulton Capps, everyone know those names. They are seniors who will not be in any record books and to be honest probably do not wrestle in the old system. In fact Capps came back out just to help win team state and Tasseff was 5th string last year and is involved in many school activities and was not wanting to wrestle. Man if you watched the Penn dual when he beat a state qualifier at team state. Well-i sure am glad the kids wrestled.

But again. Don't ask me as Jared, Walpole, Chico and many others. In fact right after we won  team state and Jared jumped on everyones shoulders and then turned to me and said this is better than last week because I get to share this win with all my friends and teammates. He said no disrespect coach but jumping into your arms was cool and all but not the same as jumping in the middle of the entire team.  Chico, Nick both had tears in their eyes and told everyone at our banquet that they would trade their titles for a team title. Both were multisport athletes.

Here is my biggest question. Why not do both. Like jared did. If you are telling me the state championship team should be rewarded by a few individuals on your team then I'm sorry but I have to question your use of commen sense. Sorry, honest feelings.

I guess then, for the perry's and the mishawaka's of the world, their teams will die on the vine when team state no longer exists because no one at those schools wrestles individually, only for the team.  Really?  I seriously doubt that.  According to their coaches, that's the only reason a lot of kids wrestle for them.  I still say wrestling is the ultimate individual sport with a forced team aspect. 

Yes I can shed some light. It's unbelievable to me how some people don't get it. I did not wrestle under the team state system but man I wish I would have. I was a three sport athlete and in the spirit of athletics having a team rallying behind each other and cheering for each other and training in the off season together for a purpose can not be matched. And again I wrestled in the old school system. But I want use my testimony because some of you think it's all about me. In fact its not. It's all about the kids. All of them. Sam Tasseff, Joe Klinesmith, Daulton Capps, everyone know those names. They are seniors who will not be in any record books and to be honest probably do not wrestle in the old system. In fact Capps came back out just to help win team state and Tasseff was 5th string last year and is involved in many school activities and was not wanting to wrestle. Man if you watched the Penn dual when he beat a state qualifier at team state. Well-i sure am glad the kids wrestled.

But again. Don't ask me as Jared, Walpole, Chico and many others. In fact right after we won  team state and Jared jumped on everyones shoulders and then turned to me and said this is better than last week because I get to share this win with all my friends and teammates. He said no disrespect coach but jumping into your arms was cool and all but not the same as jumping in the middle of the entire team.  Chico, Nick both had tears in their eyes and told everyone at our banquet that they would trade their titles for a team title. Both were multisport athletes.

Here is my biggest question. Why not do both. Like jared did. If you are telling me the state championship team should be rewarded by a few individuals on your team then I'm sorry but I have to question your use of commen sense. Sorry, honest feelings.

Well there you have it folks... it's true. It must be a great feeling! Nice job...

To be honest I think that every Coach should be giving that speech to their kids at the being of the season.  Wrestling by definition is an individual sport, but what some people fail to realize is that there is also a team aspect to it. If not then why do we wrestle dual meets and keep score? Why not do nothing but tournaments. I believe some people are getting spring/summer wrestling confused with what High School Wrestling is all about.  Yes it is up to the wrestler to do all the necessary things to become a High School State Champ. It is the coach?s responsibility to try and bring that out in each kid, but remember he has 14 varsity wrestlers and X amount of jv wrestlers that he is try to hone. Not everyone can be a State Champion.  But a good coach knows how to push, pull yell, scream and jockey his athletes around into a State Championship Team. Which I think is great for the sport of wrestling. You will end up having more kids coming out for the sport (which is what we need), more fans coming out to sport their team, and School bragging rights. All because everyone wants to be a part of a Championship Team!  In my Opinion that is what High School Wrestling is all about and what every coach and parent should strive for in their student athlete.  And yes, I stood on top of the podium twice when I was in high school.

Again, I want to state we NEVER talk about Individual State at Mishawaka.  Depsite that we have won individual state 4 out of the last 6 years.  We have had 8 Individual State Champs with this mentality.  Does that not click to at least some of you???  The focus on the TEAM has made our individuals better.  At Mishawaka every wrestler trains not only for themself, but their TEAM...that is the greatest motivation!

Y2, Could not agree with you more.  Not enough teams have been able to experience this.  Can not explain how much I want to get Team State Classed because I know what it would do for our sport.  It's not just about saying lets win a team state title if you thinks that's unrealistic.  When I was an assitant here and my first few years as a head coach we talked about making it to team state....Complete focus was still on the team...then I started talking about competing for Team State Titles...then winning Team State Titles.  It is a process.

If we class it, I believe more teams will be affected than most estimate - 3 classes...8 Teams advancing to the state - that is 24 teams.  Why could a team not have a realistic chance  to make it to Team State against schools thier own size?  Every team and coach should have a chance!  Making it to team state our first couple years and losing to Perry and Mater Dei completely turned our program around into a real contender.  Our kids saw the pain of the seniors...saw the energy at team state and wanted to make it back.

Snyder

1oldwrestler,

I am not posturing whatsoever.  If you saw the way my wrestlers trained for the team you would not question their committment.  Do you ever see wrestlers that lose their focus during the season or off-season?  Stop showing up or training properly?  We very rarely have any other those issues here because it is not just about yourself...it is about the team. 

Snyder

In my opinion the team part of the sport is very important to keeping wrestling strong.

Many of the guys know they have no chance of winning a section, regional or State title on

there own.  But what they may be able to do is win against the cross town rival to clinch

the team win.  They may also just not get pinned by the State Qualifier and clinch the win.

The team aspect just adds so many more layers to the sports.  We need to do everything we can

to keep it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.