Perry Meridan

cennt1

Very well said coach, Team State there is nothing like it. Its awsome the excitement of the team. The year Perry was runner ups was so spectacular the match with Bellmont, Castle, then Crown Point were all very close thats where Team work is everything. I think it will be wrong to drop Team State Really wish I had the Blue ring on the cabnet lol. I also believe this years Perry Team will be the best ever. A bunch of very tough,smart,dedicated,well coached wrestlers. Just my opinion. And Jared is all about Team everyone that is or ever was a Falcon is all about Team.

1oldwrestler,

I am not posturing whatsoever.  If you saw the way my wrestlers trained for the team you would not question their committment.  Do you ever see wrestlers that lose their focus during the season or off-season?  Stop showing up or training properly?  We very rarely have any other those issues here because it is not just about yourself...it is about the team. 

Snyder

Coach - I  get it.  You guys NEVER talk about individual.  YOU have that luxury.  However, hypothetically speaking, let's say team state isn't done away with and what happens if a team in your Sectionals, maybe a team in your own conference, rises up and siezes, say, five year control of your Sectional.  That would mean there would actually be guys on your team during that five years span that came in for four years and never tasted team state.  Then what are you going to do?  I guess that's my issue.  It would seem to me that you would have to change your tune to get guys motivated to be on your team.  That's why I keep going back to wrestling being such an individual sport.  IMO, it's that aspect that brings guys to wrestling.  All great team runs come to an end eventiually.  Just ask Mater Dei.

1oldwrestler,

Great question.  Penn absolutely destroyed us at the sectional last year.  We had won it like 12 years in a row...they got better and found a way to get it done.  They are not going any where anytime soon and neither are we....Mater Dei did lose their sectional two years in a row to castle, but made it to the semi-finals of team state this past year.  Great runs do end, but it doesn't mean great programs do...

1oldwrestler we are not talking about ending the indivdual tournament.  My guys still got to compete in that this past year.  3 of them got to wrestle in front of 12,000 people at individual state.  As long as there is a Team State, it will always be the focus at Mishawaka as long as I am here.  Since my guys train for themselves AND the TEAM, I am completely confident we will continue to do better at Individual State regardless of whether we make it to team state or not.

Our individuals train harder and become better because of the focus on the Team.  It's not just about them...it's about the entire program.  The results are so hard to explain, but I have seen them. 

We need to get team state classed so more teams can experience what I am talking about.

Snyder

If Team competition were solely and totally community based I would support it. Unfortunately ............  Well it has been made into something that resembles college recruiting for a few elite teams. I think 10 was the number used. The other 300 + teams could care less. No matter how you spin this thing Wrestling Is mostly an individual sport. No one is recruiting teams to wrestle in college or the Olympics. Individuals have to qualify.

I talk a lot about winning a team state title because I think we're on the verge of being able to compete on that level, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that our athletes are more interested in winning a team title than an individual title. I really do believe that a focus on a team title can have a big impact on developing a solid wrestling culture and community at a school. More importantly, it's a way to keep JV guys engaged and contributing to the program. Even though we have a robust JV schedule where kids can easily get 35-40 matches in a season, we've had kids (upperclassmen) quit because they couldn't make the varsity lineup. I think, as a coach, you can focus heavily on the team aspect and still help athletes achieve their individual goals.  Like Coach T mentioned, we can do both.

One thing I really think about a lot is being realistic and never leading the kids along. If a team state title is not realistic for the squad, they know it. So it's not necessarily so much a focus on a team state title that can be helpful, but a strong focus on all team achievements e.g. Conference, County, Sectional etc.

Well stated coach.  Couldnt agree more.  Team is there for a few regardless if its classed or not.  If a team title is your sole focus and that goal isnt realized, then it would seem the season would be a failure.  Just cant fathom that in a sport like wrestling.  I like how you stated other team goals can be a yardsticks for success.  All or nothing is a dangerous road to go down in most athletic endeavors.

1oldwrestler,

I guess I look at it like how many wrestlers accomplish their individual goal each year?  I know I never did...sophomore year I wanted to make it to state - lost at semi state...Junior and senior year the goal was to be a state champ - lost in round one and round two.  I had some sucess those seasons, but yes in my eyes they ended in failure...Just like most of my college wrestling seasons.  I think very few individuals accomplish their goal each season...just like very few teams will in any sport. 

After we lost at the sectional this year, the Monday practice was definitely a lot different than past years.  My guys handled it really well, though...I just told them that the individuals still wrestling had to represent Mishawaka well and send us out on a more positive note.  It wasn't like we stop practicing and no one cared about the rest of the season.  Those individuals still had a chance to accomplish their individual goals.  Watching a kid like Sidney Logan qualify for state was a great experience.  I guess the difference is that Sidney is way more focused on how our teams does than himself.  Despite that he went from JV to the state finals last year...and I believe is one of the most improved wrestlers in the entire state this off-season.  Our focus on the team drives him to train like a madman...

Snyder

Great job Perry boys in Fargo. You all had bright spots. Paul Mathews going four rounds in Greco, Donte Winfield losing 1-0,1-0 to vollaro, stud state champ and dual all American from Florida. Aidan Kenny winning 3 matches in freestyle losing his last match to the national champ. And of course the All Americans-Jacob Cottey, Kirk Johnson and Jared McKinley. Much to be proud of boys.

No we will not have RTC thru august. Thanks for all the great competition and all the friends we have had the opportunity to meet and to work with this spring and summer. The room was awesome and the dedication of kids was a tribute to Indiana wrestling 

Thanks

Coach T

when i first read this i was like, no way! individual state would make you a legend!! But when Snider won the New Haven Sectional this past year, which i was a part of thank God, it was one of the best feelings. i know people will say "it was just sectionals..." and other crap but in my humble opinion celebrating a team championship might narrowly top am individual one just because of the fact that you can celebrate with your team ( like Jared McKinly said)...just my opinion :o

when i first read this i was like, no way! individual state would make you a legend!! But when Snider won the New Haven Sectional this past year, which i was a part of thank God, it was one of the best feelings. i know people will say "it was just sectionals..." and other crap but in my humble opinion celebrating a team championship might narrowly top am individual one just because of the fact that you can celebrate with your team ( like Jared McKinly said)...just my opinion :o

My son was part of a sectional team championship his sr yr and, you said it, it was just sectionals.  It was very cool to be a part of that celebration but thats where it ended.  They lost in the first rd of team regionals, as expected, and individual took over.  I suppose my opinion would change if my kids were on a team that had a legitimate shot at a team state title every yr but that is reserved for the very few elite teams and I dont believe that classing team will make it that much more viable for more than 10% of the teams across the state to have a legit shot at a team title.  Sorry sniderpanther, but your program, like my kid's, doesnt stand a chance of being a threat in the near or distant future of being a state powerhouse.  Enjoy the sectional title but dont get visions of granduer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.