Title IX Nazi's start in on High School programs...

The Guru

As I said, if women's wrestling is a boost in any way to men's wrestling, then great.  There better be either greater numbers of boys joining the sport or there better be more teams being added at the collegiate level for this to make any sense.  Short of that (more collegiate teams springing up or more boys joining the ranks of wrestlers) I believe it will be a waste of time and resources for a women's program to get started.  Sorry, but if I were a decision maker regarding this issue I would give women's/girl's wrestling a big thumbs down as I wouldn't be willing to "give it a try for awhile to see how things work out."  Having a girls program wouldn't take the bullseye off college teams.  More guys wrestling will take the bullseye off wrestling.

I do not recall a college program ever having problems with getting boys to join their ranks. "More guys wrestling will take the bulls eyes off of wrestling." I do not think so!

If fans would start to come out and support their teams like the Iowa and Oklahoma fans, this might change how the college facuity looks at itself. In the end it comes down to finances and then they throw a red ribbon around it and call it Title 9 when they do away with a program.

I get that you are against women wrestling that is fine, but I have two girls that like the sport and want to continue on with it. No different than girls wanting to participate in Judo, Karate, etc? Trust me when I say that Boys High School wrestling is not going anywhere. It is to popular and to many people make a living off the sport (selling Singlets Shoes, Head Gear, etc...)for us to throw it in the trash because of title 9. 

I do not recall a college program ever having problems with getting boys to join their ranks. "More guys wrestling will take the bulls eyes off of wrestling." I do not think so!

If fans would start to come out and support their teams like the Iowa and Oklahoma fans, this might change how the college facuity looks at itself. In the end it comes down to finances and then they throw a red ribbon around it and call it Title 9 when they do away with a program.

I get that you are against women wrestling that is fine, but I have two girls that like the sport and want to continue on with it. No different than girls wanting to participate in Judo, Karate, etc? Trust me when I say that Boys High School wrestling is not going anywhere. It is to popular and to many people make a living off the sport (selling Singlets Shoes, Head Gear, etc...)for us to throw it in the trash because of title 9. 

I stated Im not against girls wrestling, Im against starting a whole program just for girls at the h.s. level.

For HS, I know that I am in no way interested in a whole women's program for wrestling all at once.  It would be a simple process that would all be based on how many women join in.  Getting coaches from around the state to actively recruit (as much as the guys) to a program that is just for the women.  A coach can easily put together a schedule of several tournaments and end the season with a national tournament.  All of these events are currently being held every year now!  The next step would be for these coaches that have these small teams to talk with other coaches and schedule women's matches or mini tourneys along side of current team events and to make one of the existing state tournaments their 'state'.  Again based on numbers, more tourneys and a simple regional-state could be implemented.  As with other states like Oregon the numbers have increased year over year and have come to the point of the state association sanctioning women's wrestling and requiring ALL women to wrestle only other women.  Having good numbers and women only wrestling/practicing with other women will satisfy most.

For College, (which is what this discussion is about) I agree that having more women's program will only help with having more or keeping men's programs.  I'm not sure what is wrong with encouraging every man or women to wrestle if they wish.  If a college is willing to add a women's program, then the likelihood of losing that men's program to Title IX is very unlikely anytime soon.  You can blame Title IX for some of the issues for losing men's programs, but it can also be used to save them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.