Fort Wayne Semi States Dominance

Haha not really but if the city of Fort Wayne would ever hold their weight Fort Wayne would be the best semi state by far.  Using the genius rankings the Fort Wayne semi state has 6 of the top ten schools in 1A.  They are #1 South Adams, #2 Prarie Heights, #3 Adam Central, #8 Woodland, #9 Churubusco, and #10 Union City.  In 2A there are also 6 in the top ten.  THey are #1Yorktown, #2 Belmont, #4 Jimtown, #7 Fairfield, #8 Bishop Dwenger, and #9 Leo.  In 3A the semi state only has one team in the top ten and that is #10 Carroll.  Basically the city of Fort Wayne needs to pick up the slack its a joke.  Every area arround you is a wrestling hotbed and you continually make the semi state the worst.  Decatur brings more talent to the table then the second biggest city in Indiana and its a Joke.  If they had an all star team by city instead of school Fort Wayne wouldn't make the top ten.  Ok my rant is over, but seriously its a joke.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If in the future there is a classed team state system, it would show their true potential vs. their ranking. Do any of those ranked 1A schools wrestle any of the other 1A schools that are ranked from other semi-states currently?

Haha not really but if the city of Fort Wayne would ever hold their weight Fort Wayne would be the best semi state by far.  Using the genius rankings the Fort Wayne semi state has 6 of the top ten schools in 1A.  They are #1 South Adams, #2 Prarie Heights, #3 Adam Central, #8 Woodland, #9 Churubusco, and #10 Union City.  In 2A there are also 6 in the top ten.  THey are #1Yorktown, #2 Belmont, #4 Jimtown, #7 Fairfield, #8 Bishop Dwenger, and #9 Leo.  In 3A the semi state only has one team in the top ten and that is #10 Carroll.  Basically the city of Fort Wayne needs to pick up the slack its a joke.  Every area arround you is a wrestling hotbed and you continually make the semi state the worst.  Decatur brings more talent to the table then the second biggest city in Indiana and its a Joke.  If they had an all star team by city instead of school Fort Wayne wouldn't make the top ten.  Ok my rant is over, but seriously its a joke.

Maybe because the 2nd biggest city in Indiana doesn't have Middle School wrestling. 

I agree with you there the second biggest city is in desperate need of some middle school programs.  That being said even when they had them they didn't produce a ton of top level talent.

To jsmith I know some of the 1 A schools wrestle tough schedule.  Prarie Heights had a great showing at Al Smith this year and South Adams put it on Alexandria.  No offense to the rest of the states small programs, but year in and year out Northeast Indiana has the best small school wrestling.  Then if we look at 2A most of these top teams wrestle great schedules.  Belmont and Yorktown may not have been better then Mater Dei, but its hard to argue that they are way over ranked.  Jimtown had a strong showing at the Al Smith and Fairfield wrestled several of the state best teams well at the Belmont Duals.  Not trying to put down any other area in the state, but I think Fort Wayne semi state deserves some propping up because of how well their small programs do. 

Basically the city of Fort Wayne needs to pick up the slack its a joke.  Decatur brings more talent to the table then the second biggest city in Indiana and its a Joke.  Ok my rant is over, but seriously its a joke.

What a joker!

That being said even when they had them they didn't produce a ton of top level talent.

That is false in the 1980s and 1990s the SAC was one of the best wrestling conferences in the state and produced numerous state champions and high state placers during that time.  Two big things happened in the late 1990s and early 2000s, that is wrestling overall became more and more of a year round sport and many of the best coaches that had been at their schools for a long time either moved or retired. 

The SAC conference used to be a big two-day tournament, now it is done by noon.  The conference is getting better, but it will take a lot of change in order to get back to the level they were at in the 1990s. 

Let me guess, you live in Decatur but aren't a Bellmont fan, right? I love how you guys have this inferiority complex and like to pretend that anyone outside of the Fort Wayne area cares about any Decatur team that isn't Bellmont.  Don't get me wrong, Adams Central and South Adams have some great talent for the size of their schools, but they really are not as good as their fans like to think they are.  Your post also makes me realize that a classed team state tournament would be an absolute joke at the 1A level, and not that much better at 2A.  No offense to any of these programs, but if Woodlan and Churubusco are in the top ten in 1A and Fairfield, Dwenger and Leo are in the top ten in 2A, the competition in these two classes will not even come close to comparing to the the 3A competition.  It sure would make the Fort Wayne semi-state look good though!  Like Y2 said, these things go in cycles.  Fort Wayne used to be a stronger force than it is now, and I'd be willing to bet that it will eventually improve once again.  But it is definitely true that middle school programs are the most important thing for improving Fort Wayne area wrestling.  Four years of high school wrestling just isn't enough experience to compete at a high level within the state anymore.

Why are you hating on a small team division.  It actually gives the city of Fort Wayne a shot to get a school into the team state finals.  Not having to compete with the tiny schools would allow a spot for a big crappy Fort Wayne school.  FYI many of the smaller division teams you mentioned would win the SAC.  (In fact Dwenger did that this year).  South Adams, Dwenger, Belmont, Yorktown, Jimtown,Fairfield and Prarie Hieghts would walk all over evey team in the city of Fort Wayne besides maybe Carrol.  The other schools that are ranked would be a top 2 to top 5 school in Fort Wayne.    If your from the Fort Wayne area and think that the semi states small school wrestling is a joke then you would have to agree that Fort Wayne is dragging the semi state down.  Be real with yourself besides Carrol this year, Fort Wayne hasn't had even a descent team since the 90's Snider teams.  Its been ten years thats more then a cycle.  Thats the current state of wrestling in Fort Wayne, learn to live with it because it isn't getting a whole lot better.

Why are you hating on a small team division.  It actually gives the city of Fort Wayne a shot to get a school into the team state finals.  Not having to compete with the tiny schools would allow a spot for a big crappy Fort Wayne school.  FYI many of the smaller division teams you mentioned would win the SAC.  (In fact Dwenger did that this year).  South Adams, Dwenger, Belmont, Yorktown, Jimtown,Fairfield and Prarie Hieghts would walk all over evey team in the city of Fort Wayne besides maybe Carrol.  The other schools that are ranked would be a top 2 to top 5 school in Fort Wayne.    If your from the Fort Wayne area and think that the semi states small school wrestling is a joke then you would have to agree that Fort Wayne is dragging the semi state down.  Be real with yourself besides Carrol this year, Fort Wayne hasn't had even a descent team since the 90's Snider teams.  Its been ten years thats more then a cycle.   Thats the current state of wrestling in Fort Wayne, learn to live with it because it isn't getting a whole lot better.

You just proved with that post that you have absolutely no knowledge of wrestling in the Fort Wayne area whatsoever.  With the exception of Belmont, Yorktown and probably Jimtown, none of the teams you listed are remotely close to being a top team in the area.  South Adams is somewhat above average and Prairie Heights only has a few good individuals.  Dwenger and Fairfield routinely get smashed in the area.  But I guess I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about.  When you say "Fort Wayne," if you're only talking about the inner-city SAC schools, then you're actually right, the schools you listed would most likely beat most of those teams (although Dwenger and Fairfield would definitely not "walk all over" them).  But if you're including the rest of the teams in the area, including those in the NHC and ACAC, you're retarded.  And, you also just proved my point about a classed team state tournament.  Even though I'm a supporter of Fort Wayne wrestling, I'm not for a team state tournament that allows "a spot for a big crappy Fort Wayne school."  Why should any crappy team deserve a spot in the state tournament?

I wrestled for an SAC school in the early 90's but I have done most of my coaching in the NHC.  We moved out of the Fort Wayne area to Carroll before my oldest son got to middle school because there wasn't wrestling  and it paid off for him.  The Fort Wayne schools will never be relevant in wrestling.  They just cut the last middle school program this past year, it will only get worse for them.  The surrounding areas all have middle school wrestling and you can see them getting better and better because of clubs like roadrunner and schools like Indiana extreme.  So there is light at the end of the tunnel for the Fort Wayne SS it will just have to come from the surrounding area schools.

The last middle school program was cut? I believe every Lutheran gradeschool/middle school (they are all grades Pre-8th) still has wrestling. So there are some middle schools still with wrestling. They are just Lutheran school feeders. Also, are we talking Fort Wayne or are we talking SAC? There are still NHC schools with middle school wrestling that are in Fort Wayne.

Be real with yourself besides Carrol this year, Fort Wayne hasn't had even a descent team since the 90's Snider teams.  Its been ten years thats more then a cycle.   Thats the current state of wrestling in Fort Wayne, learn to live with it because it isn't getting a whole lot better.

So the 2002 and 2003 Snider teams were no good? I am pretty sure they made it to state one of those years with Wagner, Brownlee, Buffalino, Lineberry, Woodson...Fort Wayne was well represented in the early 2000s with several individuals as well that were making a name for themselves (Tun, Buuck, Early, etc.).

The last middle school program was cut? I believe every Lutheran gradeschool/middle school (they are all grades Pre-8th) still has wrestling. So there are some middle schools still with wrestling. They are just Lutheran school feeders. Also, are we talking Fort Wayne or are we talking SAC? There are still NHC schools with middle school wrestling that are in Fort Wayne.

I think the guy is talking about public schools canceling wrestling and if u think lutheran schools are going to save ft wayne wrestling than you don't have a very clear picture off the desperate straits financially those schools are in.  you will see consolidation coming for those schoools so fewer schools will provide feeder programs.  Even if its one big middle school the numbers will decrease because a number of parents wont go for that system.  Frankly, I think the way wrestling works now amongst the lutheran schools is that its already consolidated.  I know holy cross is where ALL the lutheran school kids go to play football and I think wrestling might work the same way.  Not trying to nit pick but luthersn schools will provide very little fodder for ft wayne wrestling programs.  The outlying schools, you are correct, which have middle school wrestling, will pull up the ft wayne ss

I was referring to FWCS system, however the Lutheran schools are not exactly putting out a lot of wrestlers couldn't field half a team.  It is also my understanding that Buuck wrestled for Carroll Middle school before going to Dwenger.  Same for Papernick (spelling?) of Snider.  As far as the snider teams of almost a decade ago, I think they had the Blackhawk middle school program to rely on.  I am not rooting against SAC schools it's where I came from, but only three kids made it to state this past year. 

I wrestled for an SAC school in the early 90's but I have done most of my coaching in the NHC.  We moved out of the Fort Wayne area to Carroll before my oldest son got to middle school because there wasn't wrestling  and it paid off for him.  The Fort Wayne schools will never be relevant in wrestling.  They just cut the last middle school program this past year, it will only get worse for them.  The surrounding areas all have middle school wrestling and you can see them getting better and better because of clubs like roadrunner and schools like Indiana extreme.  So there is light at the end of the tunnel for the Fort Wayne SS it will just have to come from the surrounding area schools.

Isn't Indiana Extreme associated with Snider?  I thought it was, but maybe I'm mistaken.  And yes, every NHC feeder school has a wrestling team.  Some schools, like Homestead and Carroll, even have two middle school teams.

FWWrestler you act as though any of Fort Waynes teams are powerhouses in the area.  Get real.  Even if you take the NHC schools they have done relativly nothing for a long time.  None of the Fort Wayne schools have produced any type of great teams since at least the early 2000's.  You could argue Carrol was a great team last year, but they still didn't make it anywhere, and the area was down on a whole.  Two years ago the best team in Fort Wayne was Carrol and they didn't even win an average sectional.  To argue that Fort Wayne is even a good area for wrestling is flat out biased.  Fort Wayne's regional has the most students by a large margin and is only above the peru regional in the semi state.  (Not to mention a strong portion of the semi staters come from surronding areas in the Carrol Regional.)  So get off your high horse I am just telling it like it is.  FYI i am not trying to say that small schools carry the semi state what I am trying to say is that Fort Waynes small schools produce good talent(for their size) every year while the city of Fort Wayne  rarly ever produces what they should. 

Fort Wayne's regional has the most students by a large margin and is only above the peru regional in the semi state. 

Actually over the past five years both the Carroll and Goshen regionals have the exact same number of state qualifiers.  Another FACT is that the Carroll regional had the most state qualifiers in the 2010 season.

Fort Wayne community get a middle school program?  That will not be happening unfortunately.  We will be lucky if the high school coaches even get paid pretty soon.  Things are not looking the greatest in our school systems and right now the state is picking on inner city schools.  But don't think your school is safe, just give it some time.  (unless it is a private school)

Back in the 90's and before FW schools used to pull more than just their weight.  It is not the coaching; it is the system, which isn't going to be changing for the better anytime soon.  It is in a vicious cycle that is setup for failure in my opinion.  Our representative wants to privatize schools and one of the ways to do that is show the current system is failing.   What is the best way to that?  Undercut any chance for public schools to move forward and show progress. Right now they are directing their attention to inner city schools because they are easy targets but other schools will be next guaranteed.  I truly believe that paid coaching will be one of the next things to go.  I know we don't do it for the money but I know some coaches that can't afford to spend that much time doing something without some kind of compensation.

Here are a couple examples of bias coming out of the state concerning public schools.

1.  The voucher program.  (State money will follow the student)  So in essence you can send your kid to a private school if you want.  Sound like a good idea?

Problem with this is that both private and public schools will be measured by the same standards, yet the private school can choose which students to accept.

2.  The state is constantly talking about keeping the best and the brightest in Indiana.  But yet they are cutting pay raises for teachers that get their Masters?  

3.  I have heard "My Man Mitch" who I voted for 2X (regrettably) say teachers make more than the average person in Indiana.  Hmmm....  Could that be because they have a 4 year degree?

4. Any vacated school a private school gets first shot at it and gets tax breaks if they move in to it.  This sounds like ?hey lets close these public schools so a private school can take over this building.?

5.  The state is now trying to judge the teachers on the student?s performance.  If that doesn?t sound like over simplifying a complex situation I don?t know what does.  In my opinion parents have a lot more to do with student?s performance than a teacher does.  But hey we live in a society of enabling and we possibly couldn?t point the finger at parents.

Sorry I will get off of my soup box but I see this as the root of FW community issues even with sports.  By the way I am not a teacher therefore I can say this stuff.

Here are a couple examples of bias coming out of the state concerning public schools.

1.  The voucher program.  (State money will follow the student)  So in essence you can send your kid to a private school if you want.  Sound like a good idea?

Problem with this is that both private and public schools will be measured by the same standards, yet the private school can choose which students to accept.

2.  The state is constantly talking about keeping the best and the brightest in Indiana.  But yet they are cutting pay raises for teachers that get their Masters?  

3.  I have heard "My Man Mitch" who I voted for 2X (regrettably) say teachers make more than the average person in Indiana.  Hmmm....  Could that be because they have a 4 year degree?

4. Any vacated school a private school gets first shot at it and gets tax breaks if they move in to it.  This sounds like ?hey lets close these public schools so a private school can take over this building.?

5.  The state is now trying to judge the teacher?s on the student?s performance.  If that doesn?t sound like over simplifying a complex situation I don?t know what does.  In my opinion parents have allot more to do with student?s performance than a teacher does.  But hey we live in a society of enabling and we possibly couldn?t point the finger at parents.

Sorry I will get off of my soup box but I see this as the root of FW community issues even with sports.  By the way I am not a teacher therefore I can say this stuff.

A wahoo!!! for you!!!

I was referring to FWCS system, however the Lutheran schools are not exactly putting out a lot of wrestlers couldn't field half a team.  It is also my understanding that Buuck wrestled for Carroll Middle school before going to Dwenger.  Same for Papernick (spelling?) of Snider.  As far as the snider teams of almost a decade ago, I think they had the Blackhawk middle school program to rely on.  I am not rooting against SAC schools it's where I came from, but only three kids made it to state this past year. 

I didn't really say that Lutheran schools were going to "save Fort Wayne wrestling" nor did I say that the Lutheran schools were putting out a lot of wrestlers. Someone on here stated that there is no middle school wrestling in Fort Wayne. I was merely just telling them that they were incorrect!

5.  The state is now trying to judge the teacher?s on the student?s performance.  If that doesn?t sound like over simplifying a complex situation I don?t know what does.  In my opinion parents have allot more to do with student?s performance than a teacher does.  But hey we live in a society of enabling and we possibly couldn?t point the finger at parents.

Amen!

Anyone else glad Mitch isn't running for President?

Fort Wayne community get a middle school program?  That will not be happening unfortunately.  We will be lucky if the high school coaches even get paid pretty soon.  Things are not looking the greatest in our school systems and right now the state is picking on inner city schools.  But don't think your school is safe, just give it some time.  (unless it is a private school)

Back in the 90's and before FW schools used to pull more than just their weight.  It is not the coaching; it is the system, which isn't going to be changing for the better anytime soon.  It is in a vicious cycle that is setup for failure in my opinion.  Our representative wants to privatize schools and one of the ways to do that is show the current system is failing.  What is the best way to that?  Undercut any chance for public schools to move forward and show progress. Right now they are directing their attention to inner city schools because they are easy targets but other schools will be next guaranteed.  I truly believe that paid coaching will be one of the next things to go.  I know we don't do it for the money but I know some coaches that can't afford to spend that much time doing something without some kind of compensation.

1.  The voucher program.  (State money will follow the student)  So in essence you can send your kid to a private school if you want.  Sound like a good idea?

2.  The state is constantly talking about keeping the best and the brightest in Indiana.  But yet they are cutting pay raises for teachers that get their Masters? 

3.  I have heard "My Man Mitch" who I voted for 2X (regrettably) say teachers make more than the average person in Indiana.  Hmmm....  Could that be because they have a 4 year degree?

4. Any vacated school a private school gets first shot at it and gets tax breaks if they move in to it.  This sounds like ?hey lets close these public schools so a private school can take over this building.?

5.  The state is now trying to judge the teacher?s on the student?s performance.  If that doesn?t sound like over simplifying a complex situation I don?t know what does.  In my opinion parents have allot more to do with student?s performance than a teacher does.  But hey we live in a society of enabling and we possibly couldn?t point the finger at parents.

Sorry I will get off of my soup box but I see this as the root of FW community issues even with sports.  By the way I am not a teacher therefore I can say this stuff.

Amen!

And there is a big teacher shortage now, especially in the sciences. Anyone who thinks teachers are overpaid, or even paid more than average, should see how they do. I managed to make $4 an hour at one of the best districts in the state before I got out after 2 years.

And before anyone tries to make personal attacks my students did well above average on the AP exam, placed 5th in the state in a chemistry competition, and have done very well in college. I didn't get out because I couldn't hack it, I got out because of the Republican anti-education agenda.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.