How are the ISWA team scores calculated?

I am looking for the fish.....      ;)

FREESTYLE STATE FINALS

SMALL TEAM DIVISION

Team Score Place

Contenders Wrestling Club 53 *1st

Fighting Irish Wrestling Club 53 2nd

Fayette County Wrestling Club 34 3rd

Jasper Wrestling Club 19 

*Tie Break- 1st and 2nd place teams both had four 1st place finishers. Winning team had one 2nd place finisher and the 2nd place team had zero 2nd place finishers

MEDIUM TEAM DIVISION

Yorktown Wrestling Club 89 1st

Roadrunner Wrestling Club 84 2nd

Team Jeff Wrestling Club 72 3rd

Jennings County Wrestling Club 67 

Jireh Sports Wrestling Club 57 

Pride Wrestling Club 55 

Monrovia Wrestling Club 54 

Avon Wrestling Club 53 

LARGE TEAM DIVISION

Perry Meridian Wrestling Club 185 1st

Penn Wrestling Club 125 2nd

Warren Wrestling Academy104 3rd

Center Grove Wrestling Club 76 

I saw this article and it is very confusing.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20110602/YOURTOWNS01/106020323

It said "More than 20 Yorktown wrestlers ages 7-17 competed in various age groups and weight classes during the two-day event."  Yet they were in the medium division with 10-16 wrestlers as the limit.  I hope that our fearless leader McCormmick isn't involved in some shady business again.

I saw this article and it is very confusing.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20110602/YOURTOWNS01/106020323

It said "More than 20 Yorktown wrestlers ages 7-17 competed in various age groups and weight classes during the two-day event."  Yet they were in the medium division with 10-16 wrestlers as the limit.  I hope that our fearless leader McCormmick isn't involved in some shady business again.

Not making excuses but just trying to play out some senerios.

According to the criteria you are suppose to list your team prior to the event. Possibly not everyone that showed for it was listed as being on the team.  Maybe they didn't say they were sure about going when the team put the list together. Maybe they didn't count there first year little guys.   Seems like that would work according to the rules ad long as those guys didn't get scored to help that team. I would say that's a rules issue then.

If members of a team is the issue, then  When do we then count them.    By a certain date in the season everyone on your club is on the team.   After the early sign up of an event.  After the late sign up for an event.   What the coach lists say when they turn in the paper.  Do they have to come from your school district?  Within a certain distance of your practice facility.   If someone buys a card from you but isn't at many practices and you never know when they are attending events are try still a team member?  Do we allow some small all star clubs to form who's rarely practices together but organizes to compete at team state?  Lots of senerios here for what a team is and the purpose of that team.   If we are going to make ISWA team events a big deal maybe we then need to decide how to better define how the winner should be determined.

Could the newspaper coverage be flawed in some way. Double counting anyone who wrestled both cadet and junior possibly?  Counting Greco numbers in with it thinking that te events were together?  I've found the news reporters don't always get the information clear when covering regular stories let along something they have little understanding about like wrestling events.

We could speculate over little issues all day for many wrestlers and teams  over the course of the event.  Just not sure we need a witch hunt over a ISWA team score without some decent hard evidence.  

I believe that a club is "permitted" to enter all wrestlers from their club who is participating but is not required to enter all of them?  If this is so, then it sounds as if Yorktown simply picked their best wrestlers and those who had a chance of placing very high and only listed them.  I would be shocked to find out if they were the only club to not enter all wrestlers on their team roster who participated in the event.

Maybe the Team competition guidelines need to be altered some...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.