Ohio State' s new Head Football Coach Luke Fickell was a wrestler

grecoref

Luke was a 3 x Ohio State Champion and a 2 x Junior National Champion. He very likely could have been a 3x Junior Champion had he not passed up the tournament following his senior year to prepare to play football at The Ohio State University.

I had the opportunity to referee and observe many of Luke's high school and freestyle matches prior to my moving to Indiana. In my opinion he was the best high school heavyweight I ever saw prior to Steve Mocco. Which today would put him at nimber 2 on the list.

Luke started all four years at nose guard for the Buckeyes.  He started and played the entire Rose Bowl game with a torn pectoral muscle.

I recall telling Dexter Larimore after he won the state title his senior year that he wouldn't be the best wrestler on the practice field at OSU. When he asked me who would be I told him Luke Fickell.

With the issues the program will be facing and the scrutiny he will be under as the head coach, he will need everything he learned from wrestling to survive it. My bet is he will be just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.