Strength Training Programs

I made the post yesterday about strength training programs that wrestlers are using and it was removed because someone put a link to a website promoting a business. In no way am I trying to promote a particular business I am simply trying to start a discussion. It sounds like Panko has a good system going. Are there any high school strength programs that use the same techniques such as kettlebells, tires, sleds, etc?

I made the post yesterday about strength training programs that wrestlers are using and it was removed because someone put a link to a website promoting a business. In no way am I trying to promote a particular business I am simply trying to start a discussion. It sounds like Panko has a good system going. Are there any high school strength programs that use the same techniques such as kettlebells, tires, sleds, etc?

wrestler68......sorry about that......i didn't know that putting the website on it would get the post removed.....i just put it on there to let kids know that if you live up this way, Rockstar Kettlebell Gym is a great training facility to go to......sounds very similar to Planko.....i personally do not know of any high school programs that use these types of techniques and items......there must be some out there i would think......but much like all sports programs, budgets are tight and buying new equipment sometimes just doesn't or can't happen......plus you need experienced trainers to show the kids how to use alot of these items......swinging a kettlebell isn't something you just do......there is a technique that needs to be learned plus putting it all together as a complete program takes time and thought......this is where places like Planko and Rockstar come in......i think if your kid is serious and the parents have an extra few bucks to send the, these types of places are money well spent......probably as important as going to specialty camps......

I don?t post very often, only when I feel that I can make a significant contribution to a thread.  It is nice that athletes and parents post in relation to general questions.  Sports performance training is like any other industry, and all business owners in any industry want to stay on the cutting edge, in the case of some ideas are set forth that WILL BECOME the cutting edge.  There is a misperception that only X, Y, or Z needs to be done in pursuit of becoming a better athlete.  On a daily basis ?better,? more efficient modalities are used and put together in such a way that wrestlers can make incredible athletic strides in a relatively short time.  The old mentality of just trying to make kids strong doesn?t work.  I will also state that wrestling is the red-headed step child of all sports, and because of that status wrestling coaches are left to fend for themselves.  Wrestling coaches, who teach all day, do not have time, and in some cases I would argue wherewithal, to put together effective programs with proper attention to fixing muscle imbalances and improper movement patterns, fixing structural and postural deviations, maximizing muscle activation and decreasing inhibited muscles, increasing hand and hip strength, increasing force production while decreasing injury, and getting wrestlers to move better in a linear and lateral manner.  It goes far beyond the ?bench, squat, clean? mindset that has metastasized most high school strength programs.  Wrestlers already have terrible muscle imbalances and movement patterns from being stuck in a slouched stance and an emphasis on anterior chain training will not fix those issues per the ?1980?s and 1990?s training paradigm.?  The type of equipment or facility used doesn?t matter, what matters is the steward of the program, how they conduct the program, and how their care for, develop, build, and follow their athletes.  I am passionate about wrestling, and I want to do as much as I can to promote and champion wrestlers and wrestling in this state.  I want to help parents, coaches, and wrestlers in any way I can and my inbox or email address will always be open to all.  In order to advance the sport in our state, our athletes need to be top notch.

Adrian Panko, PANKO Strength & Speed

I don?t post very often, only when I feel that I can make a significant contribution to a thread.  It is nice that athletes and parents post in relation to general questions.  Sports performance training is like any other industry, and all business owners in any industry want to stay on the cutting edge, in the case of some ideas are set forth that WILL BECOME the cutting edge.  There is a misperception that only X, Y, or Z needs to be done in pursuit of becoming a better athlete.  On a daily basis ?better,? more efficient modalities are used and put together in such a way that wrestlers can make incredible athletic strides in a relatively short time.  The old mentality of just trying to make kids strong doesn?t work.  I will also state that wrestling is the red-headed step child of all sports, and because of that status wrestling coaches are left to fend for themselves.  Wrestling coaches, who teach all day, do not have time, and in some cases I would argue wherewithal, to put together effective programs with proper attention to fixing muscle imbalances and improper movement patterns, fixing structural and postural deviations, maximizing muscle activation and decreasing inhibited muscles, increasing hand and hip strength, increasing force production while decreasing injury, and getting wrestlers to move better in a linear and lateral manner.  It goes far beyond the ?bench, squat, clean? mindset that has metastasized most high school strength programs.  Wrestlers already have terrible muscle imbalances and movement patterns from being stuck in a slouched stance and an emphasis on anterior chain training will not fix those issues per the ?1980?s and 1990?s training paradigm.?  The type of equipment or facility used doesn?t matter, what matters is the steward of the program, how they conduct the program, and how their care for, develop, build, and follow their athletes.  I am passionate about wrestling, and I want to do as much as I can to promote and champion wrestlers and wrestling in this state.  I want to help parents, coaches, and wrestlers in any way I can and my inbox or email address will always be open to all.  In order to advance the sport in our state, our athletes need to be top notch.

Adrian Panko, PANKO Strength & Speed

well put adrian.......we are of the very same mindset.......the training methods of yesteryear are far outdated......we train our kids to be strong, fast and agile......working the bodys core is so important and there are to many coaches who don't see it as being just as important and being good at the particular sport you are in......and no doubt, most just don't have the time......that is why we do what we do......if you're ever up in northern indiana area, please stop in and see us at rockstar......it's always nice to share our ideas.......

well put adrian.......we are of the very same mindset.......the training methods of yesteryear are far outdated......we train our kids to be strong, fast and agile......working the bodys core is so important and there are to many coaches who don't see it as being just as important and being good at the particular sport you are in......and no doubt, most just don't have the time......that is why we do what we do......if you're ever up in northern indiana area, please stop in and see us at rockstar......it's always nice to share our ideas.......

Deadlifts, Squats, and Cleans don't work your core?

I hope you have a lot of extra money laying around.  Apparently, if you are doing Olympic lifts in your high school weight room, you aren't going to be able to get results.  

I hope you have a lot of extra money laying around.  Apparently, if you are doing Olympic lifts in your high school weight room, you aren't going to be able to get results. 

Of course not....thats why the russians are better than us (sarcasm)

I hope you have a lot of extra money laying around.  Apparently, if you are doing Olympic lifts in your high school weight room, you aren't going to be able to get results.  

actually yes they do to some degree....but, there is so much more that young athletes should be doing that will focus more on the core and less on a specific areas......not that specific areas shouldn't be part of your routine.....i think you're missing my point.....i'm 50 years old and about as old school as it gets when it comes to strength training.....i was raised on squats, bench press, deadlifts, curls, etc......but that was really about it......all the standard lifts to get all your body parts.....and that was ok back then because that was the limit of most peoples knowledge when it came to stength training.....and yes we did get results, but honestly not anything like what kids today are getting from taking the next step and working with qualified trainers.....and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg like you might think.....can you do all the basics and get results?.....yes you can......can you add to that and get to the next level......absolutely......stop in and see us sometime if you're ever in the neighborhood.....

Of course not....thats why the russians are better than us (sarcasm)

If you knew anything about Russian training you would know they are trained as all around athletes.  Most Russian wrestlers spend as much time preforming gymnastics training as they do in the wrestling room.  They are trained as athletes NOT as WRESTLERS. 

How do you guys feel about body weight calisthenics? I actually prefer this type of workout for my athletes, especially during the season. Add in some sandbags, a few kettle bells and a bucket of rice and you can get your workout in right there in the room.

How do you guys feel about body weight calisthenics? I actually prefer this type of workout for my athletes, especially during the season. Add in some sandbags, a few kettle bells and a bucket of rice and you can get your workout in right there in the room.

Might be fine but you might have a hard time convincing a football coach of this.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I work with my football coach.  We should all be training in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, Olympic Lifts, body weight calisthenics, functional movement training, agility and foot speed drills, etc.  I know at a small school, we have to share athletes, so we focus on creating better athletes, not better wrestlers or football players.  No matter what you're doing, I recommend a look at functional movement screening to identify and eliminate weaknesses and compensation in strength and flexibility.  If you can prove to your football coach that what you do with your wrestlers can prevent injury, then I think you'll have success.  It just takes a little research.

Lol 'functional training' and 'sport specific' workouts. Get in there do squats, deadlifts, cleans, sprints, pull ups, and lunges, then add in a couple other things you like to do to keep it interesting. Get nasty and go hard. It takes an incredible core to perform 25 pull ups or squat 150% of your body weight. If I want 'muscle confusion' I will buy a cheesy DVD off tv a late night infomercial. If I want to become a champ I'm going to find a ruthless man who shows no mercy and makes me do sprints and squats until i puke.

Salinas,

I'm not talking "cheesy DVD."  I'm talking about working hard and smart.  I can assure you people puke at my practices, but only when that is the desired result.  Mental toughness is definitely key, but so is the intelligence to train in ways that prevent injury and teach proper technique and lifelong skills.  Can't we get both tougher and smarter?

Thanks Adrian for the earlier post.  I've seen some of your wrestlers successes, and respect what you have to say.  I am just beginning to expand my knowledge in this area.  If you have any recommendations for further reading I'd appreciate it.

Working to improve,

The two links below are of the same wrestler in the same week.  This is a diversed cross section of training but it is the same wrestler, in the same facility, in the same program the same week just to show consistency.  There are old school strength training concepts (heavy squats), there are "trendy" concepts (kettlebells), there are strongman concepts (arm over arm, drag, medley), there are powerlifting concepts (the bands), and there are functional concepts (training movements versus training muscles).  This is all the gospel according to one person, but this is also 15,000+ hours of research through finding what works and finding what works better.  I am confident, this will show that an allegiance to one form of training is not necessary, and that a conjugated form of training does work best. 

Lol 'functional training' and 'sport specific' workouts. Get in there do squats, deadlifts, cleans, sprints, pull ups, and lunges, then add in a couple other things you like to do to keep it interesting. Get nasty and go hard. It takes an incredible core to perform 25 pull ups or squat 150% of your body weight. If I want 'muscle confusion' I will buy a cheesy DVD off tv a late night infomercial. If I want to become a champ I'm going to find a ruthless man who shows no mercy and makes me do sprints and squats until i puke.

Love this post. 

Post of the year

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.