Bantam: 84

Intermediate: 97

Novice: 125

Schoolboy: 149

Cadet: 221

Junior: 153

Senior: 2

Veteran: 5

Is there a comparison to the previous few years?  I'm sure picking up on a trend would help determine how to set up future state events.  Plus if certain age groups are slipping in the numbers there may be some ways to make the event more attractive to them in particular.

Peewee: 32

Bantam: 84

Intermediate: 97

Novice: 125

Schoolboy: 149

Cadet: 221

Junior: 153

Senior: 2

Veteran: 5

Peewee: 48

Bantam: 95

Intermediate: 125

Novice: 144

Schoolboy: 172

Cadet: 209

Junior: 194

Senior: 7

Veteran: 10

First, has with all sports their season ends with the start of another sport, almost every kid 13 years old and below plays baseball in the spring. Football ends in October for this age group why not move the start of folkstyle back to start in first of November? or move freestyle and greco to start November? either way its better than wrestling in May.Wrestling season for this age group needs to end in March, combine their state tournament $35 for one style or $70 for all three then the numbers will rise. As for the High School kids their window is very narrow freestyle and greco needs to be done a month after the high school season ends. Lets all face it hardly nobody is turning out for tournments in April and May. Nobody wants to travel  an hour or two and pay $10-15 dollars for a medal and not wrestle.

for those 12 and under football may end in October BUT for those older than that Football may go until Thanksgiving weekend; at least that is the hope of all high school players. so for anyone over 150# they may not be able too do that then

Just my opinion but over the years there have been suggestions to the ISWA that were ignored by the powers that be. I think it is a good possibility that some of the people feel that if they are going to spend over a hundred dollars on something, they should have some say so in how things are done. In the past it has always been our way or the highway. I guess some are choosing the highway...Just my opinion.

My son is six and started the season Novmeber 1st and is still practicing. I think about that and realize who in their right mind would do that? If you look at total numbers who at least wrestled some section of the season I think our numbers are still really high. I had over 40 kids attend at least one tournament, but only three attend freestyle state. Only one of those was truly ready. Should I really be upset that parents don't want to spend $35 bucks and a Saturday to go 0-2?

T has been wrestling for 8 years now and has placed many times in all styles at ISWA State. ISWA puts on some great opportunities for our kids. T did not wrestle in any ISWA tournaments this year. I did however buy his wrestler card and renewed my coaches card. Two reasons, I want to support any young wrestlers advancement opportunities. The second is for the purpose of going to the RTC`s. They are great rooms for wrestlers to get matt time with serious wrestlers. You go to most clubs and some high school rooms and you have kids that want to socialize or play dodgeball. We can do that at home. When we go to a room it is for the purpose of advancing our wrestling skills.

I stand by my earlier post though...When suggestions are made, not just by me but anyone. The powers that be don`t want to hear them. They are not going to bend. Their way or the highway.(HYWAY) LOL

TBD

I would have to disagree about the poowers that be not wanting to here complaints.

Many, many ISWA board members frequent this board, some are board moderators. I've seen guys like Coach Lynch, Coach Herald, Coach Peck, Coach Struck, and others on here listening and talking w/ other posters about ISWA issues.

Who exactly are the "powers"?

In my opinion blaming the people running the sport is similar to blaming teachers for failing schools. The ones doing the work are the easiest to blame. Obviously everyone can do a better job, but sometimes there simply isn't a solution that is available to the powers that be. If the powers that be were in charge of parents I'm sure they'd tell them to get out of bed on Saturday and get their kids involved. They'd tell them to help coach, and run tournaments, and support referees.

Besides is all this youth wrestling really helping high school wrestling? I'm not sure it is. The very best kids are better now than they've ever been, but from top to bottom I don't think year around wrestling helps. I took over Decatur Central this year. It's been a daunting task. Without year around wrestling we would be 3-5 years behind, but because everyone starts in kindergarten we're 5-7 years behind. Is this good for the overall health of the sport? I'm not sure it is.

#s was down by 200 wrestlers @ 35$ a piece thats 7000$, I think if it was @ the fair we would of seen higher #s. Its a tradition @ the fairgrounds. I think the mistake was the venue myself.  The time of year is fine I think. No changes are needed on the dates coaches just need to put more imfusses on the importance of wrestling all styles. Look @ schools like Perry they focus on all styles thats why there dominence is now starting to make its run its because of the hard work they put in all year long..

The state fairgrounds offered no flexibility in moving the date of freestyle state.  Many people in the wrestling community wanted freestyle state moved later than when it was being held.  This suggestion was definitely not ignored, but a venue change had to be made to accomodate this. 

Jacob - no suggestions are ever "ignored".  Just because a suggestion isn't changed, doesn't mean the ISWA didn't consider it.  There are many suggestions every year, and not all of them can be implemented.  The ISWA Board of Directors discusses everything in a lot of depth from June-October in planning the following season's state tournaments and programs.  If you ask 100 people how things should be ran, you will get 100 different answers.  The ISWA's job is to determine to best and most realistic direction for its programs.

#s was down by 200 wrestlers @ 35$ a piece thats 7000$, I think if it was @ the fair we would of seen higher #s. Its a tradition @ the fairgrounds. I think the mistake was the venue myself.

I think we disagree on this.  I know of numerous people who did not like the fairgrounds.  There has been numerous complaints over the years about having our state finals in a cow/horse/pig barn.  I do not think the venue impacted many peoples decisions to wrestler in the state tournament this year.

No changes are needed on the dates coaches just need to put more imfusses on the importance of wrestling all styles. Look @ schools like Perry they focus on all styles thats why there dominence is now starting to make its run its because of the hard work they put in all year long..

Is Perry the rule or the exception?  Many other dominate programs do not put huge emphasis on all three styles.  But they do all put in the time and effort in the sport that is needed to be a dominant team.  As do many coaches who still dont have a dominant team.

I would have to disagree about the poowers that be not wanting to here complaints.

Many, many ISWA board members frequent this board, some are board moderators. I've seen guys like Coach Lynch, Coach Herald, Coach Peck, Coach Struck, and others on here listening and talking w/ other posters about ISWA issues.

Who exactly are the "powers"?

In the last ten years what has ever changed?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.