ISWA Freestyle State??

I just looked on to the ISWA Freestyle wrestlers list and there is no one signed up to wrestle. Yes, there are Novice, and School boy but no one worth watching in the high school devision.  Do wrestlers always sign up late?  ???

I've found that it is common to not see the list fill up until a day or two before the sign up is closed.  From 6-10pm the last you will see many weights double in size.  Must be common to procrastinate.  Also it seems that attendance has be down  the last several years (economy seems to be the best answer anyone has for it) so that may play a small factor in why the numbers are low thus far.

I think the number one reason for registering at the last minute is because you are required to pay the entry fee when you register. I think many parents want to make sure their child can particiapte before paying. In regard to Juniors, they seem to have the greatest difficulty with the pre-registration process. While working registration at Folkstyle State...90% of all problems were with the Junior age division.  They forgot. They registered but did not complete the payment portion of the process. They thought their coach was going to do it....etc. So coaches and parents..please remind your older wrestlers that this year all wrestlers must pre-register and pay for Greco and freestyle State or pay double the entry fee.

REMINDER: JUNIORS MUST WEIGH-IN ON FRIDAY NIGHT FOR GRECO....NO SATURDAY MORNING WEIGH-INS

JUNIORS MUST WEIGH-IN ON SATURDAY NIGHT FOR FREESTYLE...NO SUNDAY MORNING WEIGH-INS

another item that is gonna keep attendance down is splitting greco and freestyle up into 2 different weekends......not a smart move.....alot of people won't make the drive to indy twice so one or the other will get left out....especially if you live at the outer boundries of the state, not to mention $4.29 gas....i predict greco is gonna take a hit.....

they were always on the same weekend before and it always worked.....the least they could have done was to make freestyle complete in one day like it used to.....with weigh ins for some on friday nite, we'll end up there all weekend again......that doesn't make much sense.....

another item that is gonna keep attendance down is splitting greco and freestyle up into 2 different weekends......not a smart move.....alot of people won't make the drive to indy twice so one or the other will get left out....especially if you live at the outer boundries of the state, not to mention $4.29 gas....i predict greco is gonna take a hit.....they were always on the same weekend before and it always worked.....

Last year was the first time in recent memory that greco and freestyle were the same weekend, except that Junior freestyle was held the next weekend.

the least they could have done was to make freestyle complete in one day like it used to.....with weigh ins for some on friday nite, we'll end up there all weekend again......that doesn't make much sense.....

Each age group will be finished on the day they start, no age groups will be wrestling both Saturday and Sunday.

another item that is gonna keep attendance down is splitting greco and freestyle up into 2 different weekends......not a smart move.....alot of people won't make the drive to indy twice so one or the other will get left out....especially if you live at the outer boundries of the state, not to mention $4.29 gas....i predict greco is gonna take a hit.....

they were always on the same weekend before and it always worked.....the least they could have done was to make freestyle complete in one day like it used to.....with weigh ins for some on friday nite, we'll end up there all weekend again......that doesn't make much sense.....

Last year was the first time in a long while that Greco was the same weekend as freestyle state.  For many years, Greco has been at Lawrence North very similar to what we're doing this year.

In the early 90's, Freestyle state was over 2 weekends, with the 2nd weekend including Greco state that Sunday.  Some people still had to come to Indy 2 weekends in a row back then, too.  

There is a whole lot of planning that goes into these state tournaments with much discussion about what wrestlers, parents, and coaches want along with what's in the best interest of the sport in our state.  This includes when and where the tournaments take place.

Annnnnd people complained last year about them being on the same weekend.

I loved having them on same weekend...  not that it eliminated travel, I just liked wrestling both styles in same weekend...  was just fun...

From my point of view not having same day weigh-ins doesn't help attendance any either.  Being from the region, its to long of drive to make twice in a row and its not worth paying for a hotel either. Its bad enough in his economy without having to pay extra gas and or hotel money.  Maybe in the future they can consider satellite weigh-ins or something to help the kids not from the central part of the state.

why the change it wont be the same not bein at the fairgrounds. whens the lasttime freestyle state has been somewhere else?

Believe the change was made because of the high cost of the fairgrounds....

AJ is correct. The fairground prices kept rising while attendance was falling. The biggest hit was that ISWA was forced to use their exclusive vendor for all food for hospitality @  $8000.00 for the week-end . The last 2 years (2009 & 2010) the ISWA realized little to no profit from the event.

Any chance of the Freestyle state finals moveing back a week or two in May then like many other states do?  I think having it just one more week later already help with getting kids ready for the finals.  One of the biggest reasons I was given for this not happening was the State Fairgrounds was only available during the start of May.  I always felt extending out the USA Wrestling season an extra week or two would help get kids more mat time and allow for a few of the tournaments to spread out some.  With the fairgrounds out of the picture I would think we could consider such an option now.

This could mean adding an extra week or two of Folkstyle (pushing th start or Freestyle back) so more middle school and high school kids can attend event at the end of the season.  Though I would rather see a few more few more weeks of the Freestlye/Greco season so kids have more time to train and get used to those styles before the end of the season state tournaments.  If several other state have a late May finish and still can figure out their national tournament and dual teams then I think we could, as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.