GSP moving up, yes, no, maybe so

Penguin145

I'm not sure I would say Diaz has "knock out power" but he does throw enough punches that hit the mark to cause some problems for his opponent.  He wins over a large series of punches than just having a few well placed mega-blows.  The guys has became very well rounded, though he is also very annoying outside the ring too.

I'm a huge GSP fan, always have been. Just read some of my posts on here! But Nick Diaz is the real deal, GSP is a better fighter, but Diaz has a wide array of ways he can win. Everybody knew Kos could only wrestle, Shields could only grapple, Hardy could only stand, and so on and so on. But Diaz has real KO power, real submission skills. This might force GSP into a fight that the haters want to see, where he opens up and fights. Maybe Mayhem can corner GSP!

I agree completely, GSP has never faced a well rounded guy until now. Not only is Diaz well rounded, he is unorthodox, it will be hard from GSP to anticipate his moves.

I'd love to see Mayhem corner him as well, haha.

I agree completely, GSP has never faced a well rounded guy until now. Not only is Diaz well rounded, he is unorthodox, it will be hard from GSP to anticipate his moves.

I'd love to see Mayhem corner him as well, haha.

BJ Penn isn't well rounded?  He doesn't have the physical size or strength to beat GSP, but he's more well rounded than Diaz. 

Diaz is overrated.  He's a good fighter (not elite), because he hasn't fought very many good fighters outside of the UFC.  Diaz does well with strikers, but I think he still has a hole in his game (wrestling) which is a bad hole to have against GSP. 

I'm really not that interested in this fight, which probably puts me in the minority.  I think Diaz would lose to Fitch, Koscheck, Penn, etc.

I think Diaz is on the 2nd tier of WW's with Condit, Alves, Sanchez, etc. 

I'd like to see Diaz fight a few of those guys (Fitch, Koscheck, Penn, Condit, Sanchez, Alves...) before a jump right to GSP.  Other than his over the top loud mouth antics I'm not sure Diaz bring that much yet to sell this fight.  I don't think that fight would even be considered if GSP hadn't already ran of other contenders.

I like the Diaz v GSP match up. The weeks leading up to the fight would be just as entertaining as watching GSP pound on Diaz. It's definitely an interesting match up stylistically. Diaz causes trouble for strikers with that peppering, death-by-1000-cuts style. If he can get out of the way of GSP's new found love (sticking the jab) it will definitely be fun to see. I also think Diaz can negate a lot of ground and pound after being taken down, which he will certainly be at some point.

IMO, this looks great, but it will probably be a boring decision.

Diaz has TKO's over Daley (his only tko due to punches), Shamrock (same has Daley), and Tibau (only tko loss), and KO over Lawler (his only KO loss). He also dropped all the way to 155 and beat Gomi at the height of his run and has went up to 185 and gotten wins over the previous mentioned Lawler and Smith.

I'm not saying he's Ivan Drago but the dude is good and very legit.

I'd like to see Diaz fight a few of those guys (Fitch, Koscheck, Penn, Condit, Sanchez, Alves...) before a jump right to GSP.  Other than his over the top loud mouth antics I'm not sure Diaz bring that much yet to sell this fight.

Since he is running his mouth so much, let him get the fight then and see if he can back it up or not. Thats what Dana likes to see, Dana likes guys asking to fight, he likes to see that fire, then we can see if Diaz can stand up to what he has said.

Diaz has TKO's over Daley (his only tko due to punches), Shamrock (same has Daley), and Tibau (only tko loss), and KO over Lawler (his only KO loss). He also dropped all the way to 155 and beat Gomi at the height of his run and has went up to 185 and gotten wins over the previous mentioned Lawler and Smith.

I'm not saying he's Ivan Drago but the dude is good and very legit.

So wins over Frank Shamrock and Gleison Tibeau are supposed to be impressive?  A win over Paul Daley isn't even that impressive.  He was dominated by Koscheck.  

Wins over UFC washouts Smith and Lawler.  Blah....

The ways in which he won are impressive.

Kos was mentioned as a challenger that Diaz should fight, he went to dec w/ Daley. Shamrock is old, but has never been stopped due to punches and has put many great beatdowns on guys over the years.

Lawler is a top ten ranked world middleweight. He's only a washout b/c Dana told you he was

MMA Weekly World WW rankings.

1. Georges St-Pierre

2. Jon Fitch

3. Jake Shields

4. Thiago Alves

5. Nick Diaz

6. Josh Koscheck

7. Carlos Condit

8. B.J. Penn

9. Paul Daley

10. Diego Sanchez

I  must not be the only one who thinks he's an okay fighter..... And I'd put him in front of Alves.

Lawler is a top ten ranked world middleweight. He's only a washout b/c Dana told you he was

Lawler...are you serious?  What win makes him a Top 10 MW?    He's not even TOP 10 in the UFC alone.    Losses to Souza, Sobral, Shields, Miller. 

MMA Weekly World WW rankings.

1. Georges St-Pierre

2. Jon Fitch

3. Jake Shields

4. Thiago Alves

5. Nick Diaz

6. Josh Koscheck

7. Carlos Condit

8. B.J. Penn

9. Paul Daley

10. Diego Sanchez

I  must not be the only one who thinks he's an okay fighter..... And I'd put him in front of Alves.

Sherdog has Diaz #6.  Yahoo #5.  ESPN #3.

Daley wouldn't make my TOP 10 and Diaz would be around #8 (behind GSP, Fitch, Koscheck, Penn, Condit, Alves,  and Shields).  He might even be behind Sanchez and Askren. 

I think a more appropriate fight for Diaz would be Ellenberger, Dong Hyun Kim, Anthony Johnson, or Kampmann.  Then a shot at someone in the top 5.  He needs two wins to get to GSP. 

Lawler...are you serious?  What win makes him a Top 10 MW?    He's not even TOP 10 in the UFC alone.    Losses to Souza, Sobral, Shields, Miller.  

It's not my opinion.....

MMA Weekly World MW rankings

1. Anderson Silva

2. Yushin Okami

3. Nathan Marquardt

4. Demian Maia

5. Ronaldo ?Jacare? Souza

6. Jorge Santiago

7. Michael Bisping

8. Robbie Lawler

9. Hector Lombard

10. Vitor Belfort