New weights are in.

hey hey now.....just cause i'm a little big in the gut is no reason to make fun of me.....lol.....actually, i was built just like tony at that age.....about 100lbs coming out of 8th grade......but between 8th and 9th gardes i shot up....i was 180 when i graduated high school....and now, somehow, 30 plus years later i'm 230......how does that happen?.....

Clean livin'...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This weight class change is absolutely rediculous; however, i do agree with the rules changes.  The class changes did not solve the bunching of wrestlers at the mid-weight level, and still leaves the 15 to 20 lb gaps in some of the upper weight classes...  It also got rid of two of the most competitive weight classes in the state, 135 and 140.  Those kids at those weights were warriors!  Now they scrap both classes.  The way i read the purpose for the changes, was totally went against in this decision.  I also feel like it discourages the kids from cutting weight, from the way i look at it now i see a larger gap between classes.  Cutting weight is a part of this great sport, face it, heck embrace it!  That is part of what seperates the men on the mat, and the boys on the court.  The weight class system before had its flaws (as everything in life does), and this one has them too!  why couldnt we just be happy with the way it was and wrestle.   

Rox....if you are/were affiliated with the Rockville Rox you should get some of your kids up north about a fat hour to Lafayette and work with Chris Fleeger at his open rooms at Lafayette Jeff....you will see impressive results I promise you.

Hit me up with a pm or in this thread for particulars if you are interested.

oh and if you are repping the Rox....you guys suck...Turkey Run ROCKS.....lol

Michigan has decided to not adopt the new weight classes.  Not sure what their rationale is for making their decision though.

Michigan has decided to not adopt the new weight classes.  Not sure what their rationale is for making their decision though.

That is interesting.  I applaud them for it.

Michigan has decided to not adopt the new weight classes.  Not sure what their rationale is for making their decision though.

Not to adopt the weights period? Or just for the upcoming season?  If I'm not mistaken doesn't the national assiciation allow each state time to phase in any new rules over a year or two.  I'm guessing some states don't feel comfortable adjusting the change by the start of next season, but will move to it the following year.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the national assiciation allow each state time to phase in any new rules over a year or two.

Don't think that is true.  Otherwise, wrestling officials in Indiana would be wearing gray shirts, instead of the old black and white, like every other state.  Indiana has just flat out rejected that rule that changed a few years ago.

Don't think that is true.  Otherwise, wrestling officials in Indiana would be wearing gray shirts, instead of the old black and white, like every other state.  Indiana has just flat out rejected that rule that changed a few years ago.

Sorry for if it wasn't clear before.  I wasn't saying each state was forced to change to every new rule.  Obviously, certain state make some tweeks for their own state associations, like NY having a 98lb class and our ref shirts issues.    It was just my understanding that the national association allowed for a transition period of a year or two for all new rules.  So, some states may make the adjustment in the end, but it may not be until after this coming season.

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to note that there are a lot of upper-classemen wrestler's names in this thread that started out at a "bad/unfortunate" weight as freshmen.  My son started as a freshmen at 135/140 - tough weight as a freshman.  He didn't complain as I am sure others didn't.  I just want to note that some of the wrestler's listed in this thread as "exceptions" started out in tough weight classes  (mine suffered many losses ) and the reason one might think they are exceptions  is because what they put into the sport, behind the scene.  They work this sport year round like it's their job, no one is born a great wrestler.  I don't want to hear or read about some low-weight freshman  or young heavy weight is not getting a fair shake.  If he or her puts the time into the sport then they will prevail, and that is why I pay $6 for a coke at Conseco...to watch them.

This isn't a sport where everyone gets a trophy, that crap is for little league baseball or T-ball and proves no point other than sending the message that they deserve something they didn't work for or deserve.  No one deserves respect in this sport unless they pay for it at some point... Wrestling is the greatest sport around and the best prevail.  Condition, condition, condition...quit complaining (please) and quit mentioning wrestlers names as exceptions...because those exceptions have became exceptions due their work ethic and dedication, weight class change or not. 

Feel free to send the hate mail now...

Wingman - I probably come off as not seeming sympathetic to kids who weigh 140ish as freshmen and that's because of my personal experience with my kids.  My oldest weighed around 87 pounds as a freshman and had TWO kids in front of him for the 103 slot.  And not just kids but very good kids so he got his brains beat in in the room and wrestled jv his first year.  When I read on this website from some prolific posters about how it unfair for a small kid to gets  a varsity letter just b/c he wrestles 103 b/c  they pull him out of the hallway and the 14oish kid has to wrestle jv, I laugh.  The weight increase, as far as these prolific posters are concerned, is a good thing b/c they hope it will cut down on what they believe to be rampant in the sport and that is kids gettting varsity letters just because of their size.  They state facts and figures about ffts and how kids are getting bigger, etc.  But they are hacked off that there is a weight class dominated by freshmen and they believe that to be unfair especially to bigger kids like your son.  As you can guess, I'm not for 103 being raised to 106 b/c I have another tiny guy coming up the ranks and 106 will be an even more difficult weight class for him.  So I'm obviously not in favor of the weight changes.  Frankly, I think the middle weights are suffering in this weight change the most  because a higher weight is being added at the expense of a middle weight.    My oldest went on to have a fantastic h.s. career and we had numerous discussions his freshman yr about how we weren't going to use weight disparity as an excuse.  The weights are the weights and either wrestle and improve or quit.  Sounds like your boy was or is equally hard nosed and I applaud that for sure. For my youngest, if the weight changes go thru, we'll have the same discussion, just wish it wasn't going to be worse for him than my oldest. It is the best sport and those that stick with it are better people, IMO.  As for using names of wrestlers in posts on this website, I agree completely with you.  I may be a jerk but I never mention kids in my posts who are actively wrestling.  Growing up is hard enough without reading some tool's comments criticising you and your efforts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.