congratulations to Leroy Vega!

cadet130

Great for Indiana HS wrestling not so great for Calumet College of Saint Joseph.

I agree, but guessing a few factors come into play when making a decision to move levels.  Hopefully Calumet Colelge  can find a soild coach that will keep the program moving in the right direction.

I think this is more of a congrats to Portage than Coach Vega. Anyone know why he made the move down to high school? Less stress? Teaching? More passion for building at the high school level?

I think this is more of a congrats to Portage than Coach Vega. Anyone know why he made the move down to high school? Less stress? Teaching? More passion for building at the high school level?

I don't know why, but I would guess that it is better money, health benefits, and pension (if he is teaching too)....that is until Mitch dismantles and destroys public education.

I don't know why, but I would guess that it is better money, health benefits, and pension (if he is teaching too)....that is until Mitch dismantles and destroys public education.

Better money teaching than coaching at the college level? That would be a shock, I made next to nothing when I taught and my health benefits were deducted. This certainly is a great help to Portage. Any word on whether or not all the CCSJ wrestlers will stay or who's in the running for the next coaching position?

Pretty sure Leroy would be a lay coach.  It seems to me that PHS has chased away some really good coaches and just plain good guys over the course of the last half dozen years, not just wrestling either.  Not sure what their commitment to wrestling really is, but I hope Leroy is ready to jump through all the hoops that the rest of us do in the public schools of today.  Things are NOT what they used to be.

Leroy is in fact a lay coach. He has a very good job outside of the wrestling world and he will not be giving that up to teach. He is an EE major anyway. Leroy had several deciding factors in his decision. Portage is basically in his back yard. He was traveling 45 minutes each way to and from CCSJ twice a day. His wife gave birth to his first baby boy not too long ago and he already has two daughters at home too. Leroy will have lots of time to spend with his family now and they can even be around the Portage room. His job at CCSJ was just part-time.

Leroy is in fact a lay coach. He has a very good job outside of the wrestling world and he will not be giving that up to teach. He is an EE major anyway. Leroy had several deciding factors in his decision. Portage is basically in his back yard. He was traveling 45 minutes each way to and from CCSJ twice a day. His wife gave birth to his first baby boy not too long ago and he already has two daughters at home too. Leroy will have lots of time to spend with his family now and they can even be around the Portage room. His job at CCSJ was just part-time.

That makes a lot more sense now, thanks for the insight.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that Vega's first move as Head Coach of Portage HS was to hire Hobart's 2x State Champ Eric Galka.. Nice staff shaping up at Portage..

Wow, that's going to be a fantastic staff, hopefully the wrestlers appreciate it and work hard to learn from them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.