Bubba Jenkins

D-train

Also before I get a holier than though response from Just do it, I believe you yourself have defending someone before on this board when someone disrespected them......Does that mean you yourself are to politically correct and also a hypocrite.

Re: wish willis would have been 100% vs. mcmurray

? Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 10:00:09 AM ? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bash:

- Just because you do not like Sean doesn't mean you have to constantly look for faults in his character at every meet you attend. If you want to know something about Sean McMurray go talk to him. He is a great guy and i'm sure is willing to talk to anyone who happened to say hi to him at a tournament. So if you really are so concerned about his character and what kind of person he is go talk to him yourself. Don't make assumptions based on what you are misinterpreting through watching him wrestle. 

-I believe the only reason you don't like him anyway is because you have some built up hatred for portage from when you were in high school, and are looking for reasons not to like him because of the team he wrestles for. Maybe their team beat your team a couple times or you had a strong rivalry with portage.

-Also, I have known Sean a long time and seen him stay after practice to work with little kids and help make them better. I have seen him on countless weekends during the offseason at wrestling camps helping kids get better and he has done lots of work helping with CIA, and VEGA Wrestling (when it was still around), and the Portage Wrestling Club all in an effort to give back to the sport that has given so much to him. Don't go around saying he is a bad individual because he raised three fingers at state when you do not know him and have no knowledge of the things he has done for our sport. before you go bash someone make sure you take some time to learn what kind of person he is first. When you assume you are only making an @$$ out of yourself.

You must be a changed man after making this comment and seen the error in your ways when you defended someone. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tskin, I applaud your very well thought out response, love for the sport and pride in your program. Have I personally changed over the past year and change? I most definitely have. However I cannot fault your logic. I agree wholeheartedly with both of my statements currently involved in this discussion. Therefore, I am most definitely a hypocrite to some extent. I can live with that. However, I still believe there is an issue with "bashing" anyone whose opinion goes against the grain on this board. Having a slightly offensive opinion cannot possibly be wrong in this country. I can agree that RankingsGuy's comments are often calloused but intentionally calling someone out? I think not. When this is the case lets have thick skin.

So, To revise my original statement, And also make it much more complicated:

-As a team effort, let us not let slightly offensive opinions and unorthodox ideals lead us to bashing individuals when no direct offense was intended by the remark.

-To get back to topic however, Let Bubba Celebrate! He pinned a guy that not only took his spot on the team but also routinely tech falls guys in a big ten schedule. Did i mention this happened in the NCAA Finals?!? I would want a party on the mat if i were him. Complete with stringers, confetti, cone hats and a disco ball. Everyone in the stadium is invited!

GOD BLESS WRESTLING AND GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Well we agree that I too was happy for Jenkins and had no problem with his celebration.  The Madison program has another reason, other than his brief career here in our little league program, to follow him as his uncle Jeff Jenkins, is a vol Asst coach for the high school and also was a former Madison Wrestler himself.

As a Bubba J fan, I'm just glad that he got the hell out of Madison, Indiana, because I have a hard time believing that with an average high school coach at a rural Indiana High School, he goes on to have one fraction of the career that he has had.

As ive stated in a thread that was deleted for some reason, rg is a college kid who has let his own press go to his head.  He thinks hes now so all knowing that he can comment on all things related to indiana wrestling.  He's also emboldened by the fact that when he says something outlandish, his minions always come to his defense and claim people are being too politically correct.  again, rg, keep your opinions outside of the rankings to yourself our you'll lose your impartiality.  Also, don't start defenses of your posts with "I call em as I see em."  That's a cop out and no excuse for being a d-bag. 

It's too bad Howe didn't move out of Cedar Lake - he might have become something.

Howe had access to top flight coaches and training partners at the Overtime School of Wrestling in Naperville, IL.. He is a product of that environment, and is the exception to the typical rural Indiana outcome.

Howe had access to top flight coaches and training partners at the Overtime School of Wrestling in Naperville, IL.. He is a product of that environment, and is the exception to the typical rural Indiana outcome.

Guess we need to stop talking about this class wrestling stuff by school size then and have it by those that have access to top level training facilities and those that come from typical rural Indiana who don't know how to find such things.  I'm sure college coaches would like this so they will be sure to watch the ones that will do well in college.  When are we going to figure out there is not a perfect formula for creating sucess in wrestling and not everyone finds their nitch at the same time along the way.  *insert sarcastic face here*

Guess we need to stop talking about this class wrestling stuff by school size then and have it by those that have access to top level training facilities and those that come from typical rural Indiana who don't know how to find such things.  I'm sure colleges would like it so they can just focus on the ones that obviously are given the chance to do well at the next level.

Typical rural Indiana kids can find top level training facilities(and some do) but it is a lot easier for someone from Hanover Central or Crown Point to get to them then it is for someone from Seymour or Turkey Run.

Typical rural Indiana kids can find top level training facilities(and some do) but it is a lot easier for someone from Hanover Central or Crown Point to get to them then it is for someone from Seymour or Turkey Run.

This is true, but hopefully that will not always be the case since these facilities do help wrestlers in the off season continue with their development.  I'd be more than happy to see a few of the big time training academies set up shop within a close drive from our program.  The more oppertunities to fit a wrestlers committment level and lifestlye the better.  

My point was more along the line that while these training facilities will help to some degree but they are not always the only means to the end result.  Videos, camps, RTCs, open-mats, pre-season, USA wrestling meets, a home mat and/or gym, a committed coach with a solid knowledge base, a committed training partner, and just plain inovation to find ways to work out or improve your skills without standard equiptment are all going to play a factor too.  Just to many variables to pin point it all on leaving a rural town for larger area being the entire reason for a persons achievments in the sport. I would say the kid had the drive to be better and saught out those oppertunities like the adacemy rather than the academy being the thing that instilled that mentality into him.  Wrestlers that want to succeed at a higher level will take advantage of whatever oppertinities they can from the situtions they are given reguardless of background, wrestling program situation, or other issue in their way.  If joining an wrestling academy (like Howe) or moving to one of the states top wrestling schools (like Jenkins in VA) are the only way to get that good then there is no point in striving to be a state finalist or attempting to wrestling at the college level unless you do not have access to one.  

I just think its funny it is being implied he would have been a "typical rural kid".  There are 10 people in the United States this year that were NCAA wrestling champions and he was one of them.  I don't think him or Howe were ever going to be a typical anything.  A typical kid from New York City doesn't win an NCAA championship either.  I just think its dumb to say someone can't do something because they didn't grow up in the situation you did or can't overcome disadvantages with work and some luck.  Nobody ever thought a kid born in Nigeria would ever grow up to be the president of the United States either - JUST KIDDING.

TheGeneralsDad,

Perhaps I don't quite have the sense of humor that you do, but what exactly were you trying to imply by your last sentence?  Oh and just because you add the notation "Just Kidding", doesn't make an insensitive comment acceptable. 

Can?t believe The Cat has to be the voice of reason!

What about traveling, going to camps, taking some local buddies with you, training hard, helping your community build a good program, and making your teammates better? Or I guess everyone can just move to the ?good schools.?

I would imagine it will be difficult for any ?rural? area to improve if every time a quality kid comes through they move for better opportunities.

Thank being said, to get back on topic, you are all WAY off base to come to the conclusion that anyone was somehow chosen over Bubba simply because Cael wanted it that way.  He?s a punk-but we should all remember that if we outlaw imaginary guns, the only ones with imaginary guns will be outlaws.

Ps. ? Tskin- If any of our talent decides not to move out sounds like you?ll get a fair shake in the rankings!!

I think it is funny in a few ways:

1.  It will make some people mad.

2.  Anyone who says it immediately gets called an idiot.

3.  I just thought it was funny.

I am not sure when the art of making over sensitive people angry originated, but I don't think it was recently.  You may hear this many times on your walk through life - remember it is sometimes said to get a response or invoke emotion.  There are far more offensive things said on this board than that.  The capitalized "JUST KIDDING" implies humor or jest. 

It is beating a dead horse at this point, but Jennings County over Columbus East still makes no sense to everyone involved.  Respect goes to JC, but East beat them three times in the year.  You say you look at the updates on a weekly basis, but for some reason you go back to the first weekend where the East squad is still not at full line ups and loses a few.  I thank you for the job that you do, but yes there seems to be something wrong in this situation.  The year is over and now we will have to come out again and do what we do. 

Have a great summer.

It is beating a dead horse at this point, but Jennings County over Columbus East still makes no sense to everyone involved.  Respect goes to JC, but East beat them three times in the year.  You say you look at the updates on a weekly basis, but for some reason you go back to the first weekend where the East squad is still not at full line ups and loses a few.  I thank you for the job that you do, but yes there seems to be something wrong in this situation.  The year is over and now we will have to come out again and do what we do. 

Have a great summer.

Its amazing that Columbus East people are still bitter over this.

While I wasn't offened in any way by his celebration, I do feel as through it might have been uncalled for. The NCAA punishes football and basketball players from celebrating in similar ways: why not wrestling as well? Personaly, I think a little celebration, such as jumping into your coach's arms or pointing your supporters in the stands, is alright. But Jenkin's celebration was much more than that.

While I wasn't offened in any way by his celebration, I do feel as through it might have been uncalled for. The NCAA punishes football and basketball players from celebrating in similar ways: why not wrestling as well? Personaly, I think a little celebration, such as jumping into your coach's arms or pointing your supporters in the stands, is alright. But Jenkin's celebration was much more than that.

Have you ever seen a football or basketball player punished for celebrating after they won a national championship?

Unsportsmanlike conduct is not okay during the game, just afterwards. 

I see you're putting words in my mouth. I don't think i ever said it was okay, or that it wasn't. I simply was pointing out that using football and basketball as the standard doesn't really apply. If he did this with time on the clock, and his opponent still on the mat (Caldwell's flip a couple years ago) I can see the comparison, but as i stated earlier, I don't think you've ever seen someone called for celebrating after the game was over in football or basketball.

Unsportsmanlike conduct is not okay during the game, just afterwards. 

The Officals nor anyone affilated with the NCAA has called his celebration unsportsmanlike!! Your words, and I think much to much is being made of this. Every kid that won did something other than get their hand raised and walked off the mat...Quit looking for negitives in a very positive situation ::)

Have a great summer.

Since I have nothing to do with any of the team rankings, and only concentrate on the individual weight classes, this argument could not concern me any less.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.