NCAA Outstanding Wrestler

digninrk

I thought it was Burroughs as well. 

Burroughs has been top ranked almost the entire year.  Robles has always been the underdog, he deserved that title more than anyone. He deserves to win OW because he has to overcome adversity every time he steps on the mat. Congrats to Robles, he will always be an inspiration to many.

Yes the hype and the push was on Robles which probably helped him win the OW award, but he also had to win several tough matches including beating last years returning champion.  Sure I would say his style  and strength advantage can be arguable, but he had to do more than just defend and block to get that many tech falls.  Adapting to the unique ways of moving and scoring option based on his situation is worth giving him credit for.

You could consider Burroughs for the award as well if you look at how scoring dominate he was not only in the tournament but all year long.

Dake would have to be considered on the fact he didn't give up an offensive point the entire event (that just doesn't happen folks) until the iffy penalty point in the finals.

I'd have to say Wright would be an honorable mention considering he was not viewed as a clear cut favorite, but really peaked at the right time with big wins the last few weeks.

Jenkins also an honorable mention maybe for the fact he, but he does get some credit for getting himself together, starting over fresh, and putting in the work needed to win the title by pinning an then undefeated wrestler who had been dominate all year.

I  think  if anything give Robles credit for heart for only wrestling since he was a freshman in high school for a lot of things but not outstanding wrestler.Even with only one leg his upper body dwarfs everyone at125.His style the tilts the hand control everything comes from him being so much bigger.Dont get me wrong this is an amazing kid.no one can deny...Dake,Burroughs,Reader or my cowboy Oliver had great tourneys and seasons!

Burroughs has been top ranked almost the entire year.  Robles has always been the underdog, he deserved that title more than anyone. He deserves to win OW because he has to overcome adversity every time he steps on the mat. Congrats to Robles, he will always be an inspiration to many.

Actually, Robles has been ranked #1 by a lot of different sites for most of the year.  He was the #1 seed.  I'm not sure how you can call him an underdog, based on results. 

I like the kid and I like his story, but I wouldn't call him an underdog, unless you mean physically. 

Robles earned the award because of his hard work and dedication.  Like he has said many times he does not believe he has a disability, because not having a right leg has not stopped him from doing anything, including winning an NCAA championship.

I hate Robles.  That kid has had everything handed to him since he was born.  If only I could be so lucky as to have one leg.  What a jerk.  They should have figured out what his one leg weighed and added that to 125 to see where he should actually be wrestling.  Plus, the ref should have forced him to wrestle upright, hopping around on one leg while in the neutral position. 

I hate Robles.  That kid has had everything handed to him since he was born.  If only I could be so lucky as to have one leg.  What a jerk.  They should have figured out what his one leg weighed and added that to 125 to see where he should actually be wrestling.  Plus, the ref should have forced him to wrestle upright, hopping around on one leg while in the neutral position. 

Ive seen wrestlers with two legs wrestle low like that. Some wrestlers go down on a knee and move around like such. You can wrestle on your feet or down low. How is everythign handed to him? No one has wrestled with one leg before. He had to learn how to wrestle with one leg himself. He didnt have a book titled "Wrestling with one leg for dummies". He is a story of inspiration and determination. His hard work has paid off.

I think Robles initiated every takedown this weekend with shots.  What was amazing to me is he was able to finish most of them from an extended, on his belly position.  It took more than just a strength advantage and it was something he did not do well in the past.  I did think the Oklahoma kid should have been given a takedown. 

All the robles talk is good banter, but if we really look at who was the most dominationg and has the most potential, Jordan Oliver looked the best.  He looked fluid, quick and technically sound.  He dominated a 5th year senior like he was a freshman.

All the robles talk is good banter, but if we really look at who was the most dominationg and has the most potential, Jordan Oliver looked the best.  He looked fluid, quick and technically sound.  He dominated a 5th year senior like he was a freshman.

Gotta disagree I think that Taylor kid could be a 3x champion and Bubba stuck him, and or Robles he beat the defending champ ,and I dont care what you say having one leg is a disadvantage ::)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.