State Question/Concern

dfurgason

#1 - I'm not familiar enough with the school's layout to answer this one.

#2 - We will be using 16 mats, 10 in the Fieldhouse and 6 in the Gymnasium

#3 - This information below is directly from the ISWA website and should be available in the annual publication as well.

Hope this helps and best of luck to all competitors this weekend.

FOLKSTYLE STATE FINALS

MARCH 12, 2011

Ben Davis High School

Folkstyle Wrestling Schedule:

8:00 am on Saturday Morning (All Age Divisions)

Weigh-ins

On-site weigh-ins for all age divisions will be held Friday Night Only! - 6:30 to 9:00 pm Upon arrival, wrestlers will pick-up their weigh-in card and proceed directly to skin checks and weigh-ins. All wrestlers must weigh-in wearing a competition singlet.

Skin Checks

Certified Athletic Trainers will be on site to conduct skin checks during weigh-ins. All decisions by the trainers,regarding participation, will be final!

The field house essentially has no seating useful for watching wrestling (extremely limited bleacher seating, if they even have the few sections pulled out).

Plan on bringing chairs.  Basically all open space is a maze of "camp" seating.  Instead of circling the wagons, you are circling the chairs.

Thanks so much this is our 4th year so I knew that seating is few and far between. Thanks for all your help. I was concerned to have over 700 kids just in the field house!!!! I was like this is going to be a long day! I  feel much better I am trying to see what I should pack to entertain. Thanks so much I just didn't realize they were using the 2 places. Thanks Again and GOOD LUCK to all!

However, the Girls portion will start in the evening (again from ISWA.com)...

GIRL?S FOLKSTYLE STATE FINALS

MARCH 12, 2011

Ben Davis High School

Folkstyle Wrestling Schedule: NOTE TIME CHANGE(All Age Divisions)

Please be at Ben Davis for a Women's Meeting by 6:00 pm on Saturday.

Wrestling will start at approximately 7:00 pm

They did this format three years ago I think..They had mats in the fieldhouse and gym. I thought it wasn't  very good as the mats in the gym were pretty much all the way to the wall and there was very limited seating.  It was dificult getting in and out of both gyms with all the spectators standing in the doorways to both wrestling areas and I believe we didn't get out till aroung 6 pm. Their will be over 800 kids tonight by the time registration closes....Way to many people for a one day event at Ben Davis High School....The ISWA does a great job putting on the state tournament, but if you are going to have a one day event the ISWA should look into having it at some type of arena so the spectators can actually see the wrestling that is going on throughout the day. By 8:30 am that mats will be surrounded by wrestlers warming up, coaches and parents filming and it is virtually impossible to see the matches.... Looking forward to watching some great matches saturday and lets all remember that they are just kids and the future of Indiana Wrestling...Try and stay sane between all the stress of 2000 people being stuffed in a small tuna can.....LOL

I can't wait for the day when we actually have an iswa state finals where I can sit down and watch matches.  I actually had a dream about it last night.  It's crazy how many fs gr fk states I've been at and not sat down all day and been totally unable to watch more than a single mat because of sight lines.

Let's see, 800 wrestlers x $35 entry fee = $28,000. (Doesn't even include our iswa card fee or spectator fees.)  Mmmm, you could rent out some nice places for that much dough.

I can't wait for the day when we actually have an iswa state finals where I can sit down and watch matches.  I actually had a dream about it last night.  It's crazy how many fs gr fk states I've been at and not sat down all day and been totally unable to watch more than a single mat because of sight lines.

Let's see, 800 wrestlers x $35 entry fee = $28,000. (Doesn't even include our iswa card fee or spectator fees.)  Mmmm, you could rent out some nice places for that much dough.

Just as with any business or home there are many more expenses than rent. Remember we are a year-round non-profit organization. If you want to see the truth you can check out the annual fiscal report. Just ask you club rep if you can see the annual report. It was provided to them at the annual meeting in September, if they attended. By the way, that truth is stated in red numbers! Also, it is a USA Wrestling card not an ISWA card and the ISWA does not benefit greatly from those proceeds.

Im sorry ISWA, I think we can find a better place to hold the largest tournament of the year.  You pretty much know your gonna creap up to 1000 wrestlers every year, and no high school is a comfortable place for the ISWA supporters to watch and wrestle in.  Its nuts every year, I tell grandparents and small siblings just to stay home because they cannot navigate this tourney, elbow to elbow madness.  Wrestling, Great.  Refs, Great.  BD folks, Great.  Venue, impossible.

I think if you held it in the Pepsi Coliseum it would take about four days.  I can't see more than eight mats in there which would be very cramped spacing. Hinkle Fieldhouse I have never been to and only seen pictures of.  It would only be useful if all the lower seats are retractable which I do not know. 

Finding a venue for events like this is never easy.  It is not easy to find a group of people with this type of facility that is willing to host an event of this size.

First, I agree that it is no easy task that the ISWA has in putting on the state tournament. And I give them kudos because every year I feel it is run pretty good. I just think they need to get away from the whole fieldhouse idea and start looking for a gym that has balcony bleachers on both sides and room to host it. Hinkle fieldhouse I do not believe would work because of the elevated gym floor and I know from Indy nationals that you can not get 16 full mats down in there. I would just like to see the wrestlers seperated from the parents......I feel the coaches bands are sometimes a mood point at states because 30 minutes after it starts everbody and their brother is matside. It is crazy matside and very difficult to watch the matches. There are alot of good matches throughout the day and unless you get right up matside there is no way in heck that you can watch them.....I do not know why the ISWA went away from split days this year, I thought it was great last year the way they did it...Anyway, I look forward to seeing our young boys and girls get after it sat. Its 10:00 pm and the list is at 961 wrestlers that = im guessing around 3000 plus wrestlers and fans....Get there early to set up your lawn chair....let the chaos!!!!! LOL

Agreed, ISWA definently have it down pat.  Im just thinking its so tough on a split schedule, let alone all in one day.  Furthermore, it was nice for the Novice wrestlers that wrestle for their Junior High, to have an oppurtunity to do both the State (Sunday before), and the tournaments they may have that weekend for their school, some have county and conference.  I hope it goes nice and smooth Sat, but food for thought for next year.

The ISWA had every intention of this being a 2 day event, as in 2010. The problem they encountered was, that after they committed to Ben Davis, their AD announced that no one could have use of the facility on Sunday....Saturday only. That decision pretty much dictated that they host it all on one day. No one is happy about it. Personally, I would rather take a beating. However, sometimes you have to play the cards you are dealt. It is my understanding that the powers that be, at Ben Davis, have changed their mind and in 2012 the facility will again be available on both Saturday and Sunday so the ISWA will be able to split the age divisions as in 2010.

As for a bigger facility, I know the ISWA has searched everywhere. There is no middle ground. The Fairgrounds West Pavilion would be the only really affordable option (approximately $22,000 for 2 days) but it is not available in March. Everything else with adequate seating is either too small for 16 mats or totally out of the price range the ISWA can afford. You can't just tally up entry fees and spectator fees and say.....mmmm, alot of money. That is gross profit. There are numerous expenses: referees, hotel rooms, hospitality, awards, mats, trackwrestling, etc. Also, Ben Davis is not free.  That is kind of like saying. gee you make 80,000 a year, why can't you afford a 3,000 house payment.  Sorry! I always try to remain all business but some comments just get the best of me.

OK my question was not to stir up a riot against ISWA! I am willing to help with whatever I can. I now however have a new question how did almost 200 kids register after pre-reg closed??? So am I to think that 961 people with about 3500 people in total are going to fit into the field house? I have a safety concern. There is a limit to that  gym by the fire marshall. Are you going to limit the # of spectators? Also from another saefty aspect and having coordinated big events (cheerleading and twirling comps) This is a fight waiting to happen too many people on top of eachother, the heat the competition. I know there isn't much that can be done with the venu or the days and I am not complaining but I fear for mine and my son's safety with that many people in one gym and I am sure the fire marshall will not be pleased, God forbid something happens

If you have 2 or more children wrestling, be prepared for Saturday.  Several years ago when I had 2 boys wrestling in the tournament I was not prepared.  I had one wrestling in the main fieldhouse, and the weight class was called for the second one to wrestle in the auxillary gym.  We had travelled for the event and I did not have a "helper" with me.  Needless to say, I did not abandon my young son wrestling in the fieldhouse to be alone in that crowd, so we did not get over to the other gym immediately.

Luckily, once we got over there, they were just about to call a forfeit, but I was able to talk them into letting my other son wrestle.

Again, no fault of the ISWA or the organizing committee -- but with that large of a space (fieldhouse), crowds that are difficult to navigate matside, and horribly acoustics to hear announcements -- if you have 2 kids wrestling bring along a helper that can take one of them to the other gym if necessary.  It's too long of a day to lose a match by forfeit.

Oh, and get there EARLY to stake out some space for a chair or two and maybe a small blanket on the ground.  If you are going to be up and around all day either wrestling or watching others wrestle do everyone a favor and don't take up a 100ft by 100ft area with all your unused chairs.

Wrestling will take place in both the fieldhouse and the gym. The gym holds 2500 spectators.  Yes, it will be close for spectators in the fieldhouse but with only 10 mats in the fieldhouse and 6 in the gym there will be more room for spectators.  

Infolady, thanks so much for the clerification.  I didnt know the ISWA had no or little say in the matter.  I am very glad to learn that next year it will be two days.  I know of several wrestlers that cannot participate, for they have school events.  We want our boys (Novice) to be able to represent their schools and wrestle in individual state.  With this in mind, I sure hope the keep the Novices on Sunday.  I know this news of going back to two days will make some happy! ;D

OK my question was not to stir up a riot against ISWA! I am willing to help with whatever I can. I now however have a new question how did almost 200 kids register after pre-reg closed???

I dont know if this helps pre-reg closed at 11:59 C.S.T. not E.S.T

I dont know if this helps pre-reg closed at 11:59 C.S.T. not E.S.T

Also, there sometimes is a lag in data on Trackwrestling. I've seen it take upto a couple of hours for a registration to process and have the wrestler listed. This may be due to payment varification in some cases...

OK my question was not to stir up a riot against ISWA! I am willing to help with whatever I can. I now however have a new question how did almost 200 kids register after pre-reg closed??? So am I to think that 961 people with about 3500 people in total are going to fit into the field house? I have a safety concern. There is a limit to that  gym by the fire marshall. Are you going to limit the # of spectators? Also from another saefty aspect and having coordinated big events (cheerleading and twirling comps) This is a fight waiting to happen too many people on top of eachother, the heat the competition. I know there isn't much that can be done with the venu or the days and I am not complaining but I fear for mine and my son's safety with that many people in one gym and I am sure the fire marshall will not be pleased, God forbid something happens

The facility is the best available. The ISWA has done a great job. There will be 10 mats in the fieldhouse (same as every other year). So that area we be the same. The main gym is a monster. There will be plenty of room to sit there also. There may be a few more people in the hallways camping out. The last time that they tried this they used the freshman gym, which was located far from the fieldhouse. The main gym is much closer. True, if you have two or more kids (like I do) it may be tough to go between gyms. If you have more than 1 kid, make sure each has a responsible person to get them to the mat.

We need to keep this as positive as possible. And keep the kids in mind. We have all been to crowded venues in our lifetimes. I am sure that some of us have been to some much more crowded then that which we will be in tomorrow. A fight can happen anywhere. Why bring this up? We all know (as adults) that there will be police there and if you fight you may go to jail. Plain and simple, I trust the fine folks at the ISWA and at Ben Davis. We all should have a little faith and a lot of patience.

As far as registrations. Again, the ISWA did an awesome job. As I was working late into the night. I continued to check the numbers. The registration ended right on time. 12:59 am (our Time).

Again, lets all stay positive and do our parts as parents to not stir the pot and to make the best tournament possible for the kids. Thank God for the ISWA and the fine folks who have stepped  up to host this tourney at BD. My hat is off to you. NOW LETS WRESTLE!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.