Jason Tsirtsis Commits to College at...

Devils27

So does anyone have an idea of where Jason is going to college?  He basically has his choice but I am just curious.  I went to Purdue so remember this when reading what I say. 

Indiana is probably the favorite with Roach going there as well as Angel being part of the picture I think that it makes sense.

Iowa is his brothers alma mater but there could have been some problems with Alex reshirting his senior year so I dunno.

Wisconsin has put together a real solid team and with Andrew coming back to the room after his olympic redshirt year this could be something.

Darkhorse-Penn State.  They look real solid for the future and just won the Big Tens not to mention Cael Sanderson is the coach.  Could be interesting. 

I hope he goes to Purdue though  ;D

If he's already committed I apologize for wasting everyones time haha

If he's staying in the Big 10 he would be foolish to not go to Iowa, Minnesota, or Penn State. Northwestern would give him the best education though, and he's apparently pretty smart. Cornell, Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State would be good too. Personally I would like to see him at Ohio State, Tom Ryan is a fantastic coach and they're rebuilding.

I would say it depends on how much he grows, but 141 would be a good fit for him, he's really too small for 149, for now anyway. I agree though, Purdue or IU would be a terrible choice. They're a little small, but as far as coaching goes Lehigh or American would be good, though I know absolutely nothing about their academics.

My advice would be to ignore wrestling completely and rank college choices based on the education bang for the buck in the area of study he wants to focus on.  After he has ranked his schools based on education, now cherry-pick the wrestling schools out of that list.  Ignoring his chosen field of study which would move schools one way or the other I would rank the schools as follows.

Northwestern, Cornell

Michigan

Lehigh

The rest of the Big Ten (not Nebraska)

Okie and Okie state should not be considered.

Nebraska and Wisconsin are good graduate schools, but I don't know much about their undergrad. I would agree with ranking academics first, but how many kids make that move? Too many kids now are looking at "how much money will you give me" instead of where they fit best and where they can get the best education.

Nebraska and Wisconsin are good graduate schools, but I don't know much about their undergrad. I would agree with ranking academics first, but how many kids make that move? Too many kids now are looking at "how much money will you give me" instead of where they fit best and where they can get the best education.

You do know this is a wrestling board not a basketball or football board right?  I haven't heard of too much bribing going on in collegiate wrestling.  It's too bad our instate schools can't recruit our home town boys better.  Look at Michigan State University aka Team Indiana.  They came to Purdue for a meet last month and it was sad to see so many great wrestlers in Green.  Ya got Ian Hinton, Josh Harper, Sean McMurray and even Alex Dolly coaching.

You do know this is a wrestling board not a basketball or football board right?  I haven't heard of too much bribing going on in collegiate wrestling.  It's too bad our instate schools can't recruit our home town boys better.  Look at Michigan State University aka Team Indiana.  They came to Purdue for a meet last month and it was sad to see so many great wrestlers in Green.  Ya got Ian Hinton, Josh Harper, Sean McMurray and even Alex Dolly coaching.

You know I find this topic very interesting. There is so much that goes into picking a school and on the other side a school picking an athlete. Just because a school is in in state does not make it a good fit. One of the things that I was interested in is the academic support that was available to the athletes (tudors, study hall & counselors), then you have to consider distance (cost of commuting too & from), out of pocket costs, course of study offered and the list goes on. Then you have the fact that aschool only has 9.9 scholarships to split up between an entire team of wrestlers. So a school must go after certain needs. For instance, if a school knows that they will need a certain weight class in a couple of years, they start recruiting now. They have to prioritize, because they only have so much to spend. IU & Purdue did not really pursue Sean much, for whatever reason. They were probably happy with their situation at that weight. I'm sure wherever Jason ends up going, he will find the right fit. But making a decision based solely on wrestling is a mistake.

Wrestling in college takes a lot of time and starts to feel more like a job than fun for a lot of kids.  If you pick a school just for wrestling and then find out it is more of a job than anything else, you are stuck there wrestling for scholarship money and not having fun.  That's why it is so important to pick the best school for your major first and then consider wrestling.

I wasn't saying solely based on athletic scholarships, but there definitely are schools that give extra "academic" scholarships based on being a good athlete. That's beside the point though. There's an attitude among most kids now that it's all about "what will you give me" not "what do I need to do." Part of why Purdue and IU are struggling is that they recruit too heavily from Indiana. Ultimately wrestling is just a fun diversion, I would naively like to hope the students are going to the school where they can get the best education and the best chance of getting a great job afterwards.

"Utmost importance"  I don't think so, go to a school get your education.  Last time I checked teachers are being laid off everyday. Wrestling put you into position to get an education at a reduced rate. Do it for yourself. You have nothing to prove.  I hate to see a bright kid go to a college for wrestling purposes only.

I: tink he should go to Penn State and be coached by Cael Sanderson. Penn State would be a perfect fit for him with their great coaching, and they are still a decently young team right now. If not Penn State I think he should go to Ohio State or Iowa.

I: tink he should go to Penn State and be coached by Cael Sanderson. Penn State would be a perfect fit for him with their great coaching, and they are still a decently young team right now. If not Penn State I think he should go to Ohio State or Iowa.

David Taylor sure wouldn't be a bad practice partner for him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.