Congrats Nathan Boston!! Verbals to IU

Nathan has accepted a full athletic scholarship to wrestle for the Indiana University Hoosiers!

As far as I know, it's unprecedented for a freshman to receive that type of offer from a big time program in the sport of wrestling. We are all very proud of what you've accomplished and this is a testament to the hard work you've put in and the sacrifices you've made up to this point. Congrats to you and your family! You've earned it.

That is quite an honor -- and a blessing for his family, to know that his college is paid for!  I was very impressed with your wrestling at the state championships and look forward to seeing you on the Hoosiers.  Congratulations

Kentucky basketball offers middle school kids....wait I guess if I'm talking Kentucky basketball legal doesn't come into it.

There is a Freshman basketball player at Tech that verbally committed to I think IU as an 8th grader last year. Tre' something. ???

Trey Lyles  14 years old 6'-10"  and it was  IU.

Can they legally (in terms of NCAA Violation) even talk to him?

I believe at that age range the athlete just initiate the conversations with schools and its legit rather than the schools seeking out and contacting the athlete/parents.  NCAA rules if I remember right have more to do with coaches contacting athletes than the other way around.  It may also be slightly different when we are talking about basketball/football compared to the other sports, as well.

May be a little early, but if that is where he is certain he wants to go I guess its his families choice.  It's only a verbal commitment so that slightly different than actually signing the written deal which doesn't happen until much later.

From the NCAA website:

"Verbal commitment is the phrase used to describe a college-bound student-athlete?s commitment to a school before he or she is able to sign a National Letter of Intent. A college-bound student athlete can announce a verbal commitment at any time. While verbal commitments have become popular, they are NOT binding on either the college-bound student-athlete or the school."

IU may not even be aware of said "commitment", and have no true obligation to it.

Seeing how matt powless went from 171 to 197 I have faith that Boston will weigh 125 by senior year, if not by wrestling season of his freshman year at iu. Goldman has the wrestlers on a nice lofting routine. Way to choose the best school in the Big Ten (my biased opinion)

I thought I heard he was wanting to wrestle for Coach Perry, so could that be a prelude to IU coaching changes in 4 years or so?

Carl Perry is now the administrative director for FCA.  In which he will be able to help kids get into all colleges. I think coach Joe Dubuque had alot to do with his choices.

Carl Perry is now the administrative director for FCA.   In which he will be able to help kids get into all colleges. I think coach Joe Dubuque had alot to do with his choices.

Makes sense and IU sounds like a good fit with Dubuque on staff...

Seriously?  What benefit would the wrestler or the school have in making any kind of  commitment (verbal or otherwise) this early in the game.  A schools program and coaching staff could change in three years.  A wrestlers physical growth, interest, and ability in the sport  could also change .  Oh well, I guess I need some education.    I don't think Jason T.  has even committed (verbally) anywhere yet.

Seriously?  What benefit would the wrestler or the school have in making any kind of  commitment (verbal or otherwise) this early in the game.   A schools program and coaching staff could change in three years.  A wrestlers physical growth, interest, and ability in the sport  could also change .   Oh well, I guess I need some education.    I don't think Jason T.  has even committed (verbally) anywhere yet.

He needs  to recruit a troll to work the boards for him

I wish some people would verbally commit to stop posting stupid things, like this.

Who cares if a 15 year old h.s. freshman says he's going somewhere.

Before you jump all over me, you CANNOT commit to a full scholarship verbal or otherwise at that age; Thus, IU didn't offer it.

I wish some people would verbally commit to stop posting stupid things, like this.

Who cares if a 15 year old h.s. freshman says he's going somewhere.

Before you jump all over me, you CANNOT commit to a full scholarship verbal or otherwise at that age; Thus, IU didn't offer it.

http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/2011/03/04/lawrence-north-freshman-accepts-iu-wrestling-offer/

Before Indystar published this I'm confident they made sure it was legit. The offer was made to Nathan while he joined me on a visit to Bloomington.I really liked the campus but I'm still looking forward to visiting other schools before I make any decisions myself. My brother really likes Coach Debuque and believes he can be successfull at the NCAA tourny in 4 years.  The decision to commit was collectively made  by Nathan, Coach Williams, Coach Douglas, Coach Wiemer, Coach Nelsen, and Coach Gunn.

We are all very proud of Nathan and cant wait to see him in that IU singlet!!!

First, congrats to Boston. However, I agree with thepinner on some points. How many young kids truely know what they want to do with their lives? How many kids change their majors and schools accordingly or discover that they really don't fit in a particular program? Also, I remember a particular Indiana legend committing to IU only to have some promises not honored and some coaching changes being made. Pair that with an injury and his collegiate career was cut short. Don't get me wrong, this is a great compliment. But in the world of college wrestling, there are still a lot of variables involved over the next three years.

"Verbal Commitment"  = He is agreeing to go there at this point which allows IU to pencil him for now.  In a few years IU can then take that information and use it to focus on looking into recruits since they can already slot Boston in at whatever weight they think he will be at that point.  Verbal is not an official agreement and it doesn't mean they are or even can offer him an official scholarship yet.  I believe through his contacting them and talking they could at least say a scholarship could be help for him upon that time, but with nothing officially that can be signed nothing is written in stone.  The actual guaranteed offer will not come until he would be able to sign an official letter of intent at a later time in high school.  It just helps both side feel more relaxed about the future process.  A verbal is also not binding so if needed Boston could opt out of it and decide to seek out other school options.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.