CP/MD team state updates

Mr. RIght

Yah its was bad LOL, what a joke. The kid had stiches in his forehead over his eye that were busted open, blood running down the mask. He signaled to the injury to the ref not once but twice, the ref warned him with stalling, then took him to the trainer. They started again after the taping and a clean-up, Schroeder had the leg in Fuqua hit a sit then  Schroeder was working a Banana split, Fuqua was in a tripop looking up while Schroeder was cranking it with 2 seconds left. That was the call to put it in OT.

The video needs to go to the IHSAA its that blatant.

In Ot Fuqua and Schroeder were locked up and the ref hit Fuqua. You can tell by Schroeder's reaction he was given a gift

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice to see all the Mater Dei fans there, but as I had said in a post a couple weeks ago they

always seem to intimidate an officials call, which of course they did when the official, who happens to

be from the South made the most blatantly terrible stalling call I have ever seen in my close to 50 years

watching wrestling.  Without this call CP wins the dual and in my humble opinion goes on to win state.

Congratulations to LN for moving on to thte finals and to Perry Meredian.  See you all next year.

Yah its was bad LOL, what a joke. The kid had stiches in his forehead over his eye that were busted open, blood running down the mask. He signaled to the injury to the ref not once but twice, the ref warned him with stalling, then took him to the trainer. They started again after the taping and a clean-up, Schroeder had the leg in Fuqua hit a sit then  Schroeder was working a Banana split, Fuqua was in a tripop looking up while Schroeder was cranking it with 2 seconds left. That was the call to put it in OT.

The video needs to go to the IHSAA its that blatant.

In Ot Fuqua and Schroeder were locked up and the ref hit Fuqua. You can tell by Schroeder's reaction he was given a gift

The stall call to send it to OT was terrible, I guess the offical thought the kid should have just gone to his back, lol! The call in overtime had to be called, he had been warned and just had his head buried in his chest blocking and backing up without attempting to quater turn he just kept backing up.

No dog in the fight....

Was he stalling or not?  Not in regulation for sure

That is the only relavent issue.

Time, position, etc. are immaterial. UHH that is what matters since that would determine the call

The way this sounds this was perhaps an inside job and the ref was paid to call the match in Schroeder's favor ;D.

That wasn't said, But now that you mention it, where were the stall calls Against MD all day. Are you gonna tell me that in the 215 and the 103 pound matches that MD wasn't stalling. We could have had Tech falls or pins.

Did the ref call stalling consistently throughout the dual? Absolutely Not

I mean it seems funny that until now, I haven't seen much said about this particular match other than Schroeder was awarded a stalling point in OT.

Others that saw it.  Did the calls seem as bad as New Dawg seems to think they are?

And I am particularly interested in those that have no dog in the fight. Why, I can make an honest assessment, WE LOST. Not Coach's fault, not any one kids fault. MD got it done, I won't make an excuse, just to look at the whole dual a lot of little factors determined the outcome.

I am a fan of neither team but was in attendance on Saturday.  My opinion:

1. The stalling call against Fuqua to tie the match w/ 1 sec. left was a horrible call.

2. The 2nd stalling call in OT was legit.  He was blocking w/ his head and backing out.

3. The stalling call given to Shrewbury to tie the match w/ less than 5 sec left in the match was a gift and seemed to be a makeup call by the ref since the MD guy did tons of stalling in the 2nd period but was only warned one time.

4. Many times all MD did on bottom was work to not get turned.  Many times I thought they made no move to get up off bottom..with few or no stalling calls against MD

5. MD stole this match from CP.  CP was the more agressive team and MD always knew where the out of bounds line was at and I don't believe that they were penalized for stalling nearly as much as they should have been.

1. The stalling call against Fuqua to tie the match w/ 1 sec. left was a horrible call.

2. The 2nd stalling call in OT was legit.  He was blocking w/ his head and backing out.

3. The stalling call given to Shrewbury to tie the match w/ less than 5 sec left in the match was a gift and seemed to be a makeup call by the ref since the MD guy did tons of stalling in the 2nd period but was only warned one time.

4. Many times all MD did on bottom was work to not get turned.  Many times I thought they made no move to get up off bottom..with few or no stalling calls against MD

5. MD stole this match from CP.  CP was the more agressive team and MD always knew where the out of bounds line was at and I don't believe that they were penalized for stalling nearly as much as they should have been.

Both teams had bad calls against them but the ref with the number 8 had called some of the worst calls against both teams. The ref with number 1 on his back reffed both matches must of been affected by the #8 ref or split the money(only joking) The reffing was inconsistent at best.

MD won against CP and were beat by a team that wanted it more than the MD wrestlers.

My problem with the stalling call wasn't necessarily the call itself, the HUGE problem was the rotating referees that made it terribly inconsistent.  One of the refs called stalling regularly (the one that had the 135 match) the other ref rarely called stalling, even in very clear cut cases such as top man not returning bottom man to the mat when they reach their feet...

This may be the best assessment of what happened during the match in question.  I watched that match was basically watching Fuqua fighting from getting pinned in that match and then was hit with stalling with a couple of seconds left in the match and sat there and wondered what happened why the call there.  I know the ref in question and he has reffed a few middle school matches that I have coached and I have had my issues with him.  In fact when they introduced him my response was oh crap how does he get the call to ref a state meet, and I truly had a bad feeling in my stomach when he walked out on that mat to ref.  By the way I am not taking anything away from MD I thought they wrestled very well and in that situation I think if that dual meet was wrestled 10 times it would be a 50/50 split that's how good I think both teams are.  Once again as I said before it was a great day of wrestling lets hope that we can see it happen again next year with another team state trny.

My problem with the stalling call wasn't necessarily the call itself, the HUGE problem was the rotating referees that made it terribly inconsistent.  One of the refs called stalling regularly (the one that had the 135 match) the other ref rarely called stalling, even in very clear cut cases such as top man not returning bottom man to the mat when they reach their feet...

There is not any requirement for the top man to return the bottom man to the mat when they reach their feet. The top man has to attempt to return the bottom man to the mat. He does not have to succeed. So based on your statement the case is not very clear cut at all. Did the top man try to return him to the mat or not? Did he try and just not able to do it? What happened?

It was nice to see all the Mater Dei fans there, but as I had said in a post a couple weeks ago they

always seem to intimidate an officials call, which of course they did when the official, who happens to

be from the South made the most blatantly terrible stalling call I have ever seen in my close to 50 years

watching wrestling.  Without this call CP wins the dual and in my humble opinion goes on to win state.

Congratulations to LN for moving on to thte finals and to Perry Meredian.  See you all next year.

Mr Steiner, Do you really think that official is from "the south"? He was born and raised in Indianapolis and still lives about 15 miles from downtown Indianapolis. He is indeed south of Crown Point, but VERY far north of Evansville. As usual, though, your post remains consistent... consistently ridiculous.

The stall call to send it to OT was terrible, I guess the offical thought the kid should have just gone to his back, lol! The call in overtime had to be called, he had been warned and just had his head buried in his chest blocking and backing up without attempting to quater turn he just kept backing up.

No dog in the fight....

I agree the call to send it into OT was terrible. However, to end the match on a stalling call in OT is terrible too. How can you call a kid for stalling in a tie match with a state championship on the line? Does pushing realling constitute being the aggressor? Was he putting himself in danger by attacking? NO!  The kid wasn't fleeing the mat intentionally. How many times do you see a kid riding ankles in OT with no stalling called? What's the difference Bob? Let the kids decide in OT, not the officials.

as far as the stalling calls in the 135 pound match i thought they were warranted...although the timing of the call that sent it into OT should have been made earlier.  The bottom guy stalled the whole 3rd period, what is questionable about that?

i also thought at 171 that the stalling on MD was a good call to tie it up.

I agree the call to send it into OT was terrible. However, to end the match on a stalling call in OT is terrible too. How can you call a kid for stalling in a tie match with a state championship on the line? Does pushing realling constitute being the aggressor? Was he putting himself in danger by attacking? NO!  The kid wasn't fleeing the mat intentionally. How many times do you see a kid riding ankles in OT with no stalling called? What's the difference Bob? Let the kids decide in OT, not the officials.

i thought it was pretty obvious in BOTH cases that the kid from CP was not "wrestling" but stalling.  Do you honestly think when he was on bottom in the 3rd period he was working for an escape or reversal?  it looked like a freestyle match where he was just trying to keep a base and not move.

same in OT...he did nothing but back up the whole OT, did you even watch the match?

i thought it was pretty obvious in BOTH cases that the kid from CP was not "wrestling" but stalling.   Do you honestly think when he was on bottom in the 3rd period he was working for an escape or reversal?  it looked like a freestyle match where he was just trying to keep a base and not move.

same in OT...he did nothing but back up the whole OT, did you even watch the match?

Yes I did watch the match. Why would you stall in OT to win the match? Does pushing constitute putting yourself in danger of attempting an attack? Also, building a base and not getting turned in not stalling.  I am from Central Indiana and could care less about the outcome of the match.  It sounds  to me like you are a little bitter.

Hey I can only call them as I see them, and as I stated the first call was awful, but the kid had underhooks in trying to lock up and the opposing wrestler put his head in his chest and was backing straight off the mat and had already been hit, so I think that call was correct. I would prefer to see the kids decide it, but not if it means disregauarding the rules to have it done!!!

It's over and done with, but I think the stall call at 135 to send it to ot was terrible. Fuqua had two options there, base out and stay strong or try to roll through. Good coaches would never teach their guys to roll through just about anything; it's not a high percentage move. He did what any wrestler would do with ten seconds left, up by one, and your opponent cranking a banana split. Plus, fuqua was the only one with a takedown in the match and took just as many as md's guy. But like I said it's over and done with. Props to mater dei. They wrestled great and deserved the win. I was rooting for them to take the title. Also congrats to pm. It's nice to see them get their title. They certainly deserved one.

I am a fan of neither team but was in attendance on Saturday.  My opinion:

2. The 2nd stalling call in OT was legit.  He was blocking w/ his head and backing out.

5. MD stole this match from CP.  CP was the more agressive team and MD always knew where the out of bounds line was at and I don't believe that they were penalized for stalling nearly as much as they should have been.

Based on lines 4 and 5,I've seen CP beat many teams by wrestling this way. Sounds like they got beat at their own game.

I was there watching the match.

1)  Rotating Refs is horrible.

2)  If you are going to call stalling, call it both ways.

3) Fuqua was not stalling in either case.

4) Flamme was pulling his guy back in bounds with a sickly tight Iowa in.  Ref called out of bounds.  They were actually in bounds.  The match would've been over. 

5) Schurg has his kid flat with a sick cradle.

6) MD stalled the whole 2nd period in the 171 match.  Didn't come off his hips once. 

7) Score should've been 32-27 CP.  Classic example of poor officiting.

8) CP kids looked good and made better mat decisions than any other team.  That's hard to coach.  Nice work CP

Thats the way I see it, but I'm a CP fan.

terryopiniated:  My bad, I was told he was from the South.  He officiated like he was a Mater Dei Alimni though.

I was sitting in the 4th row from the mat and saw Fuqua twice signal for an injury timeout, which both

officials apparently didn't see, so instead cautioned him for stalling.  When they saw what the problem was with

the headwrap for a previous injury they should have negated the stalling call.  And the stalling call with 2 seconds left

should have been called a stalemate.  The official was seen to look up at the clock and notice that there was only

a few seconds left, so he felt he better hit the wrestler from the North with stalling so the match could go into overtime.

I don't knowwhat team you were rooting for, but if that had happened to your team, I'm sure it would have left a

bitter taste in your mouth, as it has mine.It would help if you would use a little knowledge to go with your opinion, as

your user name says.

Nickster90:  Could be that Schroeder that was stalling the whole 3rd period.  He knew he wasn't going to get anything

with the top position he had to end regulation.  He just rocked back and forth to make the official think he was trying

to do something.  Your 15th wrestler (Mater Dei fans) did it again.  Intiminated an official to make a call that is keeping me from getting any sleep at night.  It is going to take a while to forget it.  Check the posts, most observers agree it was a horrible call.

Here is a question, and maybe the answer is not really clear.  Is stalling a cumulative call or a in the moment call.  What I mean is, if wrestler A worked more on his feet earlier in the match and had the 1 point lead, does that earlier work buy him some stalling or is it simply what the wrestler is doing at the time of the stalling call?

I guess it is now the American way to blame the officials when you don't win.  I also love it when the blame goes to the official from the south that refereed like a EMD alumni.  Classic sour grapes there.  Or the 15th wrestler was influencing the officials calls.  Another good one, they didn't wrestle and just played the edge.  It is a shame for EMD that they didn't have these same benefits for their next match.  What a bunch of blubbering tear soaked hogwash.

Some of you should consider changing your diapers before you get a rash.

terryopiniated:   My bad, I was told he was from the South.  He officiated like he was a Mater Dei Alimni though.

I was sitting in the 4th row from the mat and saw Fuqua twice signal for an injury timeout, which both

officials apparently didn't see, so instead cautioned him for stalling.  When they saw what the problem was with

the headwrap for a previous injury they should have negated the stalling call.  And the stalling call with 2 seconds left

should have been called a stalemate.  The official was seen to look up at the clock and notice that there was only

a few seconds left, so he felt he better hit the wrestler from the North with stalling so the match could go into overtime.

I don't knowwhat team you were rooting for, but if that had happened to your team, I'm sure it would have left a

bitter taste in your mouth, as it has mine.It would help if you would use a little knowledge to go with your opinion, as

your user name says.

Nickster90:  Could be that Schroeder that was stalling the whole 3rd period.  He knew he wasn't going to get anything

with the top position he had to end regulation.  He just rocked back and forth to make the official think he was trying

to do something.  Your 15th wrestler (Mater Dei fans) did it again.  Intiminated an official to make a call that is keeping me from getting any sleep at night.  It is going to take a while to forget it.  Check the posts, most observers agree it was a horrible call.

Reall, DunFan.  You are losing sleep because of a questionable (in your mind) call from a high school dual meet?  Might I suggest you get a life?

When and what period did Fuqua get hit with his first stalling or should say his warning?  This was the deciding match in the dual mainly because of the controversy and it turned the lineup upside down, forward and backward and never got to see Roach wrestle, I agree the outcome would not have changed unless he got to wrestle Sims which I think would have been a great match and could have gone either way.

I though Henderson would beat Harvey and Goebel would beat Saroff after these two minor upsets, I thought it was all over for MD.

In all three of the close matches, I mean 1 pt matches MD had a ride out period when they were on top to win it.

Burlison lost to Pierre by 1 on a ride out

Fuqua lost to Schroder by 1 on a ride out

Shrewsbury lost to Bradenstien by 1 on a ride out.

The only takedown MD had in either match was Bradenstein with 3 sec left.  That is crazy

What was the Fuqua injury? I know he had a bum knee all year, but what was wrong where he had to wear the face mask.  I was not their just listened on Broadcastsports.  As much as I like the coverage of Broadcast sports the announcer was clueless.