200 win wrestlers next year @ Conseco

RAGUOC79

So I did the math of these two young men from New Castle. If both win all there matches next year (assuming they wrestle 56 times / avg. of previous yrs.) and finally get the top spot on the podium this will be there records:

Mullins  218-8 4xplacer (5th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st) 

Campbell ( Inj., 3rd, 2nd, 1st)  207-3

So I did the math of these two young men from New Castle. If both win all there matches next year (assuming they wrestle 56 times / avg. of previous yrs.) and finally get the top spot on the podium this will be there records:

Mullins  218-8 4xplacer (5th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st)  

Campbell ( Inj., 3rd, 2nd, 1st)  207-3

Or they could join fellow New Castle 200 win club and 0 state titles club members Mac Taylor and Matt Jaggers... Keith Garrard is not far behind with 199 wins and 0 state titles and Cory Cook had 183 wins and 0 state titles  ::)  Seems that Coach Peck loves to build his schedule to inflate records, so one must always take New Castle kids' records with a grain of salt.

Or they could join fellow New Castle 200 win club and 0 state titles club members Mac Taylor and Matt Jaggers... Keith Garrard is not far behind with 199 wins and 0 state titles and Cory Cook had 183 wins and 0 state titles  ::)  Seems that Coach Peck loves to build his schedule to inflate records, so one must always take New Castle kids' records with a grain of salt.

Seems like a bit of an unnecessary shot at Coach Peckinpaugh and New Castle.

Jared McKinley if he stays healthy and wins every single match would get really close.  His total record is 148-6.  So he is averaging just over 50 matches a season and this year finished his season off with 53 wins and a state title.  So if he ends up 54-0 next year he will finish with a total record of 202-6 and a 2nd state title.  But that is a lot of what if's.

Nice job, RG...belittling the accomplishments of two hard-working and dedicated young men; that you, yourself, had ranked in the top 3 all year. I guess that was one microscopic grain of salt. The "rolling eyes" icon was a special touch, too. What a weak*&#% comment.

Jared McKinley if he stays healthy and wins every single match would get really close.  His total record is 148-6.  So he is averaging just over 50 matches a season and this year finished his season off with 53 wins and a state title.  So if he ends up 54-0 next year he will finish with a total record of 202-6 and a 2nd state title.  But that is a lot of what if's.

Is Kirk Johnson in the run for it also?

Nice job, RG...belittling the accomplishments of two hard-working and dedicated young men; that you, yourself, had ranked in the top 3 all year. I guess that was one microscopic grain of salt. The "rolling eyes" icon was a special touch, too. What a weak*&#% comment.

Kind of thought those comments were quite "bush league" by RG as well. 

Who actually is the ranking guy? If winning a state title is so easy, I am sure he must hold a title or 2. New Castle does not wrestle the competition of the state's powerhouses but not many do. What a below the belt hit!! They may only have 1 state champ under Peck's reign but many, many have placed in the top 8. Again what a low blow!!! Besides Peck doesn't wrestle the matches or put in all the extra work that is a staple of state champions. Rankings Guy needs to get a clue.

"Who actually is the ranking guy? If winning a state title is so easy, I am sure he must hold a title or 2."

He does.  RG definitely comes off as arrogant at times, but he says what he thinks...I don't think he's gonna lose sleep over it either.  Personally, I'd like to see him coach a few kids to the big dance before he so readily expressed his thoughts in public.

However,  I too have always wondered how in the heck so many NC kids have racked up all those season and career wins and didn't win the "Biggest One."  Bad luck I guess.

What he said really wasn't that bad.  New castle has about 4 wrestlers in the top 10 in career wins, but none of those wrestlers have a title. Mullins and Campbell both have shots at titles next year but if they don't win then they do sadly fall into that category. Any one know how many wrestlers in the states top 10 in wins has not won a title? That's a real question I wasn't try to be cocky or a smart a**

And what did he say to make people mad? Whats not true about his comment?

It's not the accuracy of his comment...it's the tackiness and lack of respect. If one has been a champion in a sport (which someone said RG has), and one supposedly cares about that sport (which he must, in order to devote the time to his rankings); then he should possess enough tact and respect for others that are advancing the sport and performing well in the sport, to refrain from such pointed commentary. As an adult, even just a tinge of class should prevent him from downplaying any kid's achievements. So, to do so when it involves a Hall of Fame coach and a couple of the state's most-decorated wrestlers, displays a total lack of cooth. Even if Coach Peck was Indiana's losingest coach, rather than the state's winningest...he deserves the respect for spending time trying to improve young men's lives. All of the wrestlers, whether accomplished, or JV, deserve respect for the effort and dedication.

>:(

No doubt that Campbell and Mullins very well may win state titles next year, as both are right there on the verge of breaking through... However, when one looks at the state's top 10 career victories leaders, it reads as follows...

1. Alex Tsirtsis- Griffith

2. Andrae Hernandez- Griffith

3. Angel Escobedo- Griffith

4. Mac Taylor- New Castle

5. Matt Jaggers- New Castle

6. Keith Garrard- New Castle

7. Nick Walpole- Perry Meridian

8. Andrew Howe- Hanover Central

9. Darren Elkins- Portage

10. John Sheets- Bellmont

what do #4, #5, and #6 have in common?  they all went to New Castle, and they are the only 3 in the top 10 all-time that do not have at least 1 state title.  while my commentary is pointed, and not everyone likes it at every moment in time (see Mt. Vernon, Castle, New Castle, Crown Point), I have shown to be an equal opportunity offender and will always call it like I see it.  the culture of this board, which some people think is to shy away from honesty if it means controversy, is better saved for other facets of your personal lives.  in order to advance Indiana wrestling, I feel that if coaches and wrestlers are being publically scrutinized, they are more likely to raise their level, and in turn, Indiana wrestling prospers, and that is my ultimate goal.

Is Kirk Johnson in the run for it also?

I just realized that I did not include Team State in McKinley's record at all.  So you can add a couple more wins to that list if you'd like.  I am not 100% if Team State wins count toward official records- anyone else more educated than myself know the answer?  But to answer your question Kirk Johnson (again disregarding team state wins) is 131-18.  Even with Team State wins added to his record it will be extremely tough to hit the 200 mark, however, not at all out of the realm of possibility that he could hit the 190 win mark.  Still an extremely impressive feat. 

And I believe 3 of his 6 losses have been to Josh Keifer and he won't be around next year.  Very good shot of winning 200.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.