most improved wrestler this year!

whoami?32

There are many wrestlers who work and bust their butts in the off seasons to improve for the the next year....but who are some wrestlers that improved tremendously this year?

I know Roncalli's 103 was 3rd string last year and was a state qualifier this year....any other good ones?

I was pretty impressed with Garret Goldman myself.  He was a mid to low placer coming into this season and absolutely dominated at Conseco.

Second that.  Not "out of nowhere"...but to ascend to that level so quickly from last year is very impressive.  Did he fill out the weight a little?    I thought the IU thing was mild nepotism until I saw him this weekend.  He's a very legit D1 prospect...and who would have thought that last year?

Another one for me is Mason Todd.  To go from placing where he did last year at arguably a weak weight class to this year handling Phillips and Brooks in back to back weekends is very, very solid.  He also looks like a very serious college talent--super athletic, aggressive, and equipped with a motor that doesn't quit.  He'll fill out his slightly lanky physique and be a very nice 126 or 133.

Second that.  Not "out of nowhere"...but to ascend to that level so quickly from last year is very impressive.  Did he fill out the weight a little?    I thought the IU thing was mild nepotism until I saw him this weekend.  He's a very legit D1 prospect...and who would have thought that last year?

Another one for me is Mason Todd.  To go from placing where he did last year at arguably a weak weight class to this year handling Phillips and Brooks in back to back weekends is very, very solid.  He also looks like a very serious college talent--super athletic, aggressive, and equipped with a motor that doesn't quit.  He'll fill out his slightly lanky physique and be a very nice 126 or 133.

Did Goldman's father get to watch the title match in person?  I know IU wrestled Purdue on Saturday.

I was pretty impressed with Garret Goldman myself.  He was a mid to low placer coming into this season and absolutely dominated at Conseco.

I wouldn't say he dominated. Coming in to the season he placed 5th at the super 32. which is the same place as Eric Roach. But I think everyone had Sliga majoring everyone

Blake Johns 112 from Reitz (10) first year varsity

3rd at SIAC conference behind Mastison (H) and Goebel (MD)

3rd at Sectionals behind Mastison (H) and Goebel (MD)

1st at Regionals defeating both Mastison & Goebel

3rd at SemiState defeating Goebel

Lost to Cody Phillips in a close match 5-3 Friday night at State.

Did Goldman's father get to watch the title match in person?  I know IU wrestled Purdue on Saturday.

He was on the floor behind the boards of the warm up area.  Eavsdropping on the conversation between the BN staff and Coach Goldman after the match I was impressed.  I got the sense that Coach Goldman had total trust in BN staff in handling Garrett's high school wrestling.  He clearly was not the overzealous micromanaging type.  My guess is it must have been pretty nice for Coach Goldman to watch his son win a championship and be able to just be dad.  For a few minutes he probably didn't have to worry about bus schedules, weight management, hotel rooms, and budgets.

Did Goldman's father get to watch the title match in person?  I know IU wrestled Purdue on Saturday.

Yes the Goldman clan as well as some other on the IU staff were able to be present by the last session.   They were moving and leaning right along with Garrett in that last match.

Jake Lannert finished 4th at state.  He  lost 11-10 in the semi's or would have been under the lights.  He did not finish in the top 6 last year at Semi-state.

That's the one that came to mind for me.  VanWinkle stepped it up this year quite a bit this year as well.

I would have to say Neal Malloy and Vinny Corsaro.  They both have a great future of finishing very high.....  If you know the Todd's, you knew that was coming.  Growing up watching his two brothers wrestle you just knew that he had the drive and determination....I for one never seen his win over Phillips as an upset...That is just Mason.... Barry McGinley was another and there are several more in the pipeline to come.  Trey Reese has to come to mind though he has always been good but to move up 55 pounds and dominate the way he did was in my opinion the most improved.

Jake Lannert finished 4th at state.  He  lost 11-10 in the semi's or would have been under the lights.  He did not finish in the top 6 last year at Semi-state.

I was pulling for this kid. You don't see a kid with about 10 losses make it to the finals of state very often.

Lannert was injured and didn't wrestle in semi-state last year.

goldman!! i wrestled him our freshman yr at iswa folkstyle state and beat him by a few and he didnt even place..... now he is a studddddd and i wouldnt really wanna wrestle him again!! lol he is a heck of an athlete and an awesome wrestle!! congrats on the big win and in my opinion most improved keep it up

goldman!! i wrestled him our freshman yr at iswa folkstyle state and beat him by a few and he didnt even place..... now he is a studddddd and i wouldnt really wanna wrestle him again!! lol he is a heck of an athlete and an awesome wrestle!! congrats on the big win and in my opinion most improved keep it up

Goldman wrestled a perfect match!

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely Goldman, considering he went from just being a semi state qualifier last year to being a state champ this year in a wieght class with 2 top 10 nationally ranked guys. That's just nuts! I got to see him wrestle a lot last year and I was never very impressed. In fact because of that I really doubted he would even place this year. I don't know what he did in the off season but man it helped for sure. It will be very interesting to see how he does at IU. Congratz Garret!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.