Team State - IT IS TIME!

Darrick Snyder

You have some good suggestions. Im not sure if the attendance would be that huge for three classes of team state wrestling duals????

I think Center Grove HS has to be given kudos for hosting Team State over the years. They have a excelllent gym and about 99 percent of any high school in the country would love to have the type of gym facility that Center Grove has.

Its kind of amazing that Center Grove doesnt have much of a wrestling tradition. They have never fielded a very competitive team dual team and I dont have the ISHAA state champs with me, but doubtful they have produced many IN hs state champs. However, the athletic staff at Center Grove deserves a huge "thumbs up" for Hosting IN Team State every year.  ;D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow dude you are the only  joke involved in indiana high school wrestling.....our team will never in a million years make it to team state so we have better things to do than go watch and support the team state series.....all you do is sit on your internet  high horse and judge and point your finger and you can act like you are somebody important but you said yourself that your kids went last weekend and watched wrestling, if you were half the coach that you believe you are than your kids might have been wrestling instead of watching.......so to steal a line from a friend of mine "SHUT UP UNTIL YOU WIN SOMETHING"

We actually had a kid wrestling in the tournament last weekend thank you very much. 

Plain and simple...Y2 is wrong, he can give all the stats he wants, but the bottom line is.....support all aspects of high school wrestling! Coach Snyder will be there with his team, even though they aren't in it, CUDOS for the CAVEMEN! Y2, practice what you preach, INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING, NOT JUST GARRETT WRESTLING.

I think I do plenty for the state in terms of supporting wrestling.  I should be able to take a weekend and focus on my Garrett kids when I can do that.  They are actually a lot higher priority than supporting a portion of the tournament that is in its last year.

Ok, you make a excellent point there. However, my point is just how many IN hs wrestling teams have disrespected the Team state concept of always trying to win the state dual match and not hold back any wrestlers etc...

My point is that over the last decade, the percentages are very small overall. Plus, its something that the ISHAA doesnt need to hear about in the overall concept for the Team State. I mean im sure just a team or two  didnt change the team state champions such as Mishawauka, EMD, and all the other IN hs teams that won a Team state championship.

Im sure the team state concept has worked very well in both OHIO and MI. Also, I believe the IN HS wrestling has carved out their own wrestling tradition of holding the team state one week after the Individual states.

There is tremendous interest in hs wrestling in Indiana, just check all the postings on this excellent wrestling site.

Indiv State and Team State matches just a part of this excellent wrestling site. I dont think any wrestler whose won a team state title of the history of the tournament could care less if one  team (who probably never made the team state finals) would hold back just one wrestler from competing. I certainly dont see any of the 8 teams holding back wrestler once they arrive at Center Grove on Team State Saturday.

That one team who held back a wrestler to compete in team state was back in 2003..8 yrs ago....but your point is well taken.............

There have been enough teams send out JV wrestlers that the IHSAA has noticed.  Is it a big number, no way, but to the IHSAA one is too many and they take it as a slap in the face when teams do that.  You don't see any other sport that sandbags during the IHSAA tournament.

Ohio has yet to have a team dual state championship.  I believe next year will be the first year for it.

If you are taking your team to a tourney, I can respect that.  I know you could have taken some kids to an inexpensive clinic tonight.  Sometimes I feel that you try hard to make a mockery out of the team series.  How many teams have sent JV teams to a Regional?  I know of one.  I know of one other that didn't want to come this year. 

The clinic would be inexpensive, but gas at $3.50 a gallon plus a few hotel rooms add up pretty quickly to parents and kids.  If we were within an hour of Center Grove we would have made an appearance for the clinic.

The whole Team State problem started in 2003 when Peru showed up to Bellmont at Team Semi-State with their stand out wrestlers not wrestling. That night I went home and wrote my breakthrough discussion board thread titled "Where's The Honor?" Since then there has been teams not proud of showing their team's accomplishments in the Team tourney and showing up with JV wrestlers not even caring to win.

Jasper took a dive against Castle at team regionals last year. So while Mater Dei had to battle Jeff, Castle was able to warm up with JV/forfeits.

The whole Team State problem started in 2003 when Peru showed up to Bellmont at Team Semi-State with their stand out wrestlers not wrestling. That night I went home and wrote my breakthrough discussion board thread titled "Where's The Honor?" Since then there has been teams not proud of showing their team's accomplishments in the Team tourney and showing up with JV wrestlers not even caring to win.

I remember that night, making the hour long drive on a school night with a couple of wrestlers.  Paid 6 bucks a head, supported the team series, only to see the 81-0 whitewash.  I think I have been to one team state series event since then.  Feb. 5th 2003 - the day team state died...

wow dude you are the only  joke involved in indiana high school wrestling.....our team will never in a million years make it to team state so we have better things to do than go watch and support the team state series.....all you do is sit on your internet  high horse and judge and point your finger and you can act like you are somebody important but you said yourself that your kids went last weekend and watched wrestling, if you were half the coach that you believe you are than your kids might have been wrestling instead of watching.......so to steal a line from a friend of mine "SHUT UP UNTIL YOU WIN SOMETHING"

AMEN Brother!!

By sending your JV kids to team regional/semi-state and by threatening to not show up, that is making a mockery of the team series.  That simply tells the IHSAA that the wrestling coaches do not think the team series is important.  

I will not be there tomorrow.  I have better things to do like make my kids better for next year.  My wrestlers are more important that watching eight teams I have no connection to.

[/quote

Did your wrestler win Friday night?  I'm assuming if he didn't, that you didn't sit on your butts all day Saturday watching individual State when you could have been doing something a little more productive.  

I should be able to take a weekend and focus on my Garrett kids when I can do that.  They are actually a lot higher priority than supporting a portion of the tournament that is in its last year.

Why would someone desire such a thing? If the problem is the coaches' taking a dive and resting players for the individual tournament, why not address that issue? In a thread earlier in the year one of the posters (stand up and be noticed, whoever you are!) proposed a schedule for the state series that would have moved the team tournament in to the end of the regular season, then doing the individual tournament afterward. This is how it is done in Pennsylvania, and I think it would actually solve the problem. You could even class the team tournament, which I don't particularly support, but would tolerate so as not to kill one of the greatest weekends of wrestling that Indiana has to offer.

By sending your JV kids to team regional/semi-state and by threatening to not show up, that is making a mockery of the team series.  That simply tells the IHSAA that the wrestling coaches do not think the team series is important. 

I will not be there tomorrow.  I have better things to do like make my kids better for next year.  My wrestlers are more important that watching eight teams I have no connection to.

Did your wrestler win Friday night?  I'm assuming if he didn't, that you didn't sit on your butts all day Saturday watching individual State when you could have been doing something a little more productive. 

There weren't any other tournaments that day that my kids were at. 

Why would someone desire such a thing? If the problem is the coaches' taking a dive and resting players for the individual tournament, why not address that issue? In a thread earlier in the year one of the posters (stand up and be noticed, whoever you are!) proposed a schedule for the state series that would have moved the team tournament in to the end of the regular season, then doing the individual tournament afterward. This is how it is done in Pennsylvania, and I think it would actually solve the problem. You could even class the team tournament, which I don't particularly support, but would tolerate so as not to kill one of the greatest weekends of wrestling that Indiana has to offer.

Its not desiring it, its telling a fact.  Talk to any AD and they will tell you the team portion is done.  People were calling this many years ago because the team series is for about 15 teams in the state at most and now it is dead because people didn't want to expand and were only worried about getting our true champion.  Good bye team state it was fun while it lasted.

Its not desiring it, its telling a fact.  Talk to any AD and they will tell you the team portion is done.  People were calling this many years ago because the team series is for about 15 teams in the state at most and now it is dead because people didn't want to expand and were only worried about getting our true champion.  Good bye team state it was fun while it lasted.

You said you have better things to do today than go to state today, like make your kids better for next year.  Tell me,  how exactly are you making your kids better for next year by posting on this message board all day?

I made the trip today.. got there a little late, second round, and they had already quit charging for admission.... was surprised their was not a finals only ticket or something for people who couldnt make it at 10... 

and wow, Penn travels just as well as EMD.  Their crowds were amazing.. but when they left, half of the gym was empty..

great day of wrestling, and a good way to end the team series...  congrats to PM...

You have some good suggestions. Im not sure if the attendance would be that huge for three classes of team state wrestling duals????

I think Center Grove HS has to be given kudos for hosting Team State over the years. They have a excelllent gym and about 99 percent of any high school in the country would love to have the type of gym facility that Center Grove has.

Its kind of amazing that Center Grove doesnt have much of a wrestling tradition. They have never fielded a very competitive team dual team and I dont have the ISHAA state champs with me, but doubtful they have produced many IN hs state champs. However, the athletic staff at Center Grove deserves a huge "thumbs up" for Hosting IN Team State every year.   ;D

Center Grove has been a great host, but I have to disagree with you about their inability to field a competitive team. They have always had a respectable program. Maybe not "many" state champs (but few schools do). I did not go to CG but I can think of several great wrestlers off the top of my head...Jeremy Vanalstyne (State Champ 2001), Joey/Jason Strausborg, Yates brothers,  Mappes brothers and many good wrestlers on the current CG team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.