Team State - IT IS TIME!

Darrick Snyder

But we won't know who the true champion is?  How does watering down our state tournament help the sport?  That is ridiculous.  

Will they be able to have a spotlight at Center Grove if we have 2 classes going at once?

First off, in this situation it is not watering it down, because as a team small schools are at a disadvantage.

As far as your spot light comment goes. Yeah you're right, that is tough, cause they have a hard time playing all 5 football games at the same location at the exact same time.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y2 seems to forget that his team could have easily won the carroll sectional in two of the past three seasons.  He also fails to mention that a small school won that sectional in two of those three years, his team has had plenty of chances they are extremely competitve.  

Winning sectional and going to team state are two different animals.  

Both years we lost key wrestlers at the wrong time and that pretty much ruined our hopes and chances of winning.  The margin for error for just winning a sectional for a small school is extremely small.  A team cannot have one hiccup or their chances go down the tube.  

First off, in this situation it is not watering it down, because as a team small schools are at a disadvantage.

As far as your spot light comment goes. Yeah you're right, that is tough, cause they have a hard time playing all 5 football games at the same location at the exact same time.

Yes it is watering it down.  More champions = a watered down championship,..... right? 

If we won't have the spotlight I ain't goin', we have to have the spotlight or it will ruin the experience for all.

Its a realistic attitude.  I am not going to tell our 5-25 wrestler that he is going to make it to state when he will probably not make it past the rat tail round.  Setting kids up for failure is a losing business.  How many years have you coached?  I am curious how you know so much about coaching.

Umm, lets see then why have him wrestle... gonna lose anyway. Does it matter how much I have coached? Because what i do know is that i never had a coach not try to sell me that i could be successful, or any educator for that manner. Sorry, your attitude sucks y2.

The better competition isn't a product of the team state series.  Penn, Mishawaka, Lawrence North, Mater Dei, etc always had good kids on their teams, this is nothing new since team state was started.

really? Ask your BFF about Mishawaka before the team state series. I can guarantee he will tell you that Mishawaka has never ever ever had a solid team from top to bottom like they have had over the last 10 years at any other point in his lifetime. And i have also never seen Penn with a team that is as good as they are from top to bottom as they were this year

Yes it is watering it down.  More champions = a watered down championship,..... right? 

If we won't have the spotlight I ain't goin', we have to have the spotlight or it will ruin the experience for all.

It's only watering it down when you class it despite everyone having the same chance of winning. And in individual state everyone whether they are from a small school or a large school has the same chance. Size means nothing. However it is not watering it down when schools do not have the same shot at winning. And lets face it smaller schools are at a disadvantage for team state. Unless you are MD that is.

And i bet they would have one class under the spot light at a time.

I know that most coaches don't care about the team series and if team state is abolished won't shed a tear.

I passed out the team state survey to all of the coaches who hadn't filled it out yet, they all seemed to care about it.  No matter what we will have a team champion, what do you feel is the best way to deside it?  What way would be better for Indiana than the duals?

Umm, lets see then why have him wrestle... gonna lose anyway. Does it matter how much I have coached? Because what i do know is that i never had a coach not try to sell me that i could be successful, or any educator for that manner. Sorry, your attitude sucks y2.

You go out there and let things happen, but you don't put false hopes into a kid and tell him he will go to state.  Any kid with an ounce of sense will look at you and laugh if you tell him he is going to state with a 5-25 record.  You obviously do not understand how smart kids are.

It's only watering it down when you class it despite everyone having the same chance of winning. And in individual state everyone whether they are from a small school or a large school has the same chance. Size means nothing. However it is not watering it down when schools do not have the same shot at winning. And lets face it smaller schools are at a disadvantage for team state. Unless you are MD that is.

And i bet they would have one class under the spot light at a time.

Are you saying everyone doesn't have the same chance of winning team state?  I think we all have the same chances of winning sectional and team regional.  How do other teams have a better chance?  Even buscowrestling said that Garrett had a chance to win sectional two out of the last three years.  Lets not ruin this great thing by classing it!  I can't stand it when people constantly want to water down our great tournament.

All the schools have the same chance of winning the team series.  If you don't win, just work harder.

If they don't have a spotlight on the finals, I won't go its not worth it.  I only go for the spotlight and if the IHSAA ruins team state and takes away the spotlight then they might as well just not have the finals because no one will go.

darn i guess we were all stupid on our football team when we believed our coaches when they said we could beat penn in football.... dang....

maybe you could atleast sell to your kid "hey you can win this match" and then if he wins it sell him that he can win the next match. Maybe then the next one. Once remember a story from a softball coach who had a girl pitch who never pitched before, he said "Hey i need you to give me one good inning" she went out and did it, then he said "i want another good inning" she did it... in the 4th inning she finally had a bad inning and she was upset, the coach went out and said "hey, its ok, i asked for one good inning, you gave me 3." Point is maybe you should sell him success match by match, rather than just say "heck he probably won't get out of the rattail."

team state wrestling does not have the tradition that basketball has. More people are nostalgic about basketball and are upset about the classing of it. I don't think we will have the same issue with team state. Now, people are nostalgic about individual state, and that would draw similar criticism as the b-ball tourney.

team state wrestling does not have the tradition that basketball has. More people are nostalgic about basketball and are upset about the classing of it. I don't think we will have the same issue with team state. Now, people are nostalgic about individual state, and that would draw similar criticism as the b-ball tourney.

Didn't today show how great it is to have a single  class tournament?  Without Mater Dei there it would be a really boring day.  We can't have Mater Dei run through the small school division every year.  Lets keep classes out of wrestling, if we can't crown a true champion why crown one at all?

darn i guess we were all stupid on our football team when we believed our coaches when they said we could beat penn in football.... dang....

maybe you could atleast sell to your kid "hey you can win this match" and then if he wins it sell him that he can win the next match. Maybe then the next one. Once remember a story from a softball coach who had a girl pitch who never pitched before, he said "Hey i need you to give me one good inning" she went out and did it, then he said "i want another good inning" she did it... in the 4th inning she finally had a bad inning and she was upset, the coach went out and said "hey, its ok, i asked for one good inning, you gave me 3." Point is maybe you should sell him success match by match, rather than just say "heck he probably won't get out of the rattail."

How do you know I don't sell him on winning one match? 

Its a realistic attitude.  I am not going to tell our 5-25 wrestler that he is going to make it to state when he will probably not make it past the rat tail round

its that quote that makes me believe you aren't selling him on winning too well

BTW, maybe if your team isn't good enough this year, are you selling your future teams through your feeder programs and off season work outs that team state is possible. Penn didn't break the Mishawaka barrier in one year, nor did Mishawaka break the Penn barrier in 1 year earlier in the decade. It took quite a few years. Also no one broke the MD barrier for many years, but you didn't hear anyone of the top programs whining back then.

I am starting to come to the conclusion that the biggest difference between the top programs and Garrett is not the school size, but the attitude of the coaching staff.

BTW, maybe if your team isn't good enough this year, are you selling your future teams through your feeder programs and off season work outs that team state is possible. Penn didn't break the Mishawaka barrier in one year, nor did Mishawaka break the Penn barrier in 1 year earlier in the decade. It took quite a few years. Also no one broke the MD barrier for many years, but you didn't hear anyone of the top programs whining back then.

I am starting to come to the conclusion that the biggest difference between the top programs and Garrett is not the school size, but the attitude of the coaching staff.

Ummm I wasn't at team state today because I was coaching kids at a tournament.  Yes we are working through our youth program, sorry to burst your bubble.

The other 290 teams focus on getting kids to individual state.  They don't care about the team state series and know it is a lost cause.

and there are a lot of big schools in that 290....  small schools always seem to be the focus of discussion...  but there are a lot of big schools that really dont care about team state either because they know they dont have a chance....  focus on the individual...

and i read something earlier from coach snyder concerning working with all kids because they all are important to the team...  i do not understand why working with all the kids and developing all your kids would go away just because team state is gone...  we are coaches, thats our job...

AJ... if a title is determined by your elite wrestlers, are you going to focus more on your elite than your other wrestlers? More than likely you are.

Now if it is determined by all your wrestlers, are you more likely to focus on more than just your elite wrestlers? More than likely you are.

Joe you don't know what all of the other programs do.  The ones that have losing mentalities like you have underachieve however.   You can take that to the bank. 

Man if I was your athletic director I would fire you in a minute because you are poisoning the minds of your kids.

He's not poisoning the minds of his kids, he's just being a realistic coach and not giving the kids false hopes. Small school teams don't have that big of a chance to get past bigger Schools so again they focus on making each individual better and getting those kids who have the qualifications, to make it to state!

I know if my coach was blowing smoke up my butt about how we could beat some team (when we had a snowballs chance in hell) I would question weather or not he should be our coach. When bigger schools come in and tear you a new one in a dual meet, you usually can tell if you'll beat them later on in sectionals or regionals.

Can you explain why it is good for wrestling in Indiana?  I am curious what it has done to grow wrestling at the small school level.

What is should do is motivate schools to want that hunger of competing at a high level and eventually make it to the team state, and I believe it does.  Team state allows programs to grow because it strives to bring a team together as one and accomplish things both individually and as a team.  It also makes individuals better due to the fact it motivates those individuals work harder to achieve high goals. Team state is good for Indiana wrestling, it makes it exciting and it should make small and big schools want that motivation of being very successful. I was in attendance at Team State this year and I've went many years prior and it is a very intense and exciting day of wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.