Team State - IT IS TIME!

Darrick Snyder

Coaches, Wrestlers and Fans,

IT IS TIME for us to support our sport and one of its greatest days!  I know some of you have issues with the current Team State format.  I do not want to turn this into a debate.  I agree that the current Team State System is flawed and needs to be altered.  To correct Team State, however, we MUST first keep Team State.  I see one way for us to keep and eventually change Team State- we MUST pack Center Grove this Saturday.  My coaches, my wrestlers, and I are heading to Team State Saturday.

We have a Team State Clinic this friday and Team State is this Saturday.  It is time for us to step up to the plate and support our sport!  Lets fill the stands at Center Grove Friday and Saturday!

Darrick Snyder

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the first round the attendence usually drops as some of the fans that lost the first round start to travel the long way back home.  So, even if you don't make it to the first round its worth it to attend during the later rounds to help keep the bleachers full of fans the entire day.  The wrestlers that make it to the final rounds deserve the support reguardless of what happens after this year.

Can't make it to Indy saturday. best of luck to all. I wish they would move the team state around , maybe three different locations and rotate it. This may actually increase attendance. The Purdue - Iowa was packed so I think the rest of the state can sell out gyms for high class wrestling not just Indy.

Coach Snyder is right.  This is one of our two most important events in Indiana High School wrestling.  Make sure you get out there and support it.  Even if you think there is no chance to save it get to the finals and go down with a fight.  Either way if you have never been to it, the team state finals are awsome.  I would argue for a spectator that there is as much if not more electricity in the gym for the team state finals as there is at Conseco, great event to watch.

The clinic tonight should be an awsome event as well great chance to learn from a great coach and meet some outstanding teams.[ftp][/ftp]

I will be there!

Now I am hearing things that cause me great concern.   Can someone that knows please confirm this?

IHSAA is not MAKING as much money on this as they would like?    Are they making money?  Don't care how much, but are they showing a profit from this event?

I understand that certain teams draw bigger crowds, as a business owner, you save some earnings in GREAT years to get you through the tough ones.    If they are making $800.00 more then they are spending in bad years, then this is a tragedy.

They will still have to award medals and trophies to the teams at individuals finals.

Not saying things don't need to be improved,  but you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

And by the way I DO HAVE A DOG in this fight.

I will be there!

Now I am hearing things that cause me great concern.  Can someone that knows please confirm this?

IHSAA is not MAKING as much money on this as they would like?    Are they making money?  Don't care how much, but are they showing a profit from this event?

I understand that certain teams draw bigger crowds, as a business owner, you save some earnings in GREAT years to get you through the tough ones.    If they are making $800.00 more then they are spending in bad years, then this is a tragedy.

They will still have to award medals and trophies to the teams at individuals finals.

Not saying things don't need to be improved,  but you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

And by the way I DO HAVE A DOG in this fight.

Its not as much about money as it is coaches that sandbag during the team tournament.  See the Eastern saga this year and numerous other times where a coach sent their JV kids to wrestle in the team tournament.  Add to that they are not making enough money to make it feasible or worthwhile to put this event on.  Why should the IHSAA go the extra mile and do a team state when the coaches don't care about it and they can just crown a champ at individual state?

Its not as much about money as it is coaches that sandbag during the team tournament.  See the Eastern saga this year and numerous other times where a coach sent their JV kids to wrestle in the team tournament.  Add to that they are not making enough money to make it feasible or worthwhile to put this event on.  Why should the IHSAA go the extra mile and do a team state when the coaches don't care about it and they can just crown a champ at individual state?

So  your saying that a team such as Indian Creek who placed 5th at sectional and were very close to winning the coaches trophy and if they would have won that they would deserve the team state championship? That is crazy...that doesnt make them the best team they just had 3 very good wrestlers not the best TEAM. Not taking anything away from IC, but they wouldnt have deserved a TEAM state championship. I wrestled in the individual state tournament 3 times and in the team state tournament 4 times and I would much rather wrestle at team state than individual state. You are with your team not just a few guys like you are at individual state and it takes a TEAM effort to win a title. We never won a team state championship but just wrestling at team state was probably the biggest thrill of my life. It seems to me like the people that are against it are the people that their teams have never been there or they havent been there to watch. IMO its a great thing that the IHSAA should not get rid of

Its not as much about money as it is coaches that sandbag during the team tournament.

And yet if a football, basketball, baseball, track, cross country, swimming, or tennis coach were to sandbag the IHSAA tourney, they would be show the door and told "don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out. Actually, if anyone sandbagged like that at their job, they would be fired.

So  your saying that a team such as Indian Creek who placed 5th at sectional and were very close to winning the coaches trophy and if they would have won that they would deserve the team state championship? That is crazy...that doesnt make them the best team they just had 3 very good wrestlers not the best TEAM. Not taking anything away from IC, but they wouldnt have deserved a TEAM state championship. I wrestled in the individual state tournament 3 times and in the team state tournament 4 times and I would much rather wrestle at team state than individual state. You are with your team not just a few guys like you are at individual state and it takes a TEAM effort to win a title. We never won a team state championship but just wrestling at team state was probably the biggest thrill of my life. It seems to me like the people that are against it are the people that their teams have never been there or they havent been there to watch. IMO its a great thing that the IHSAA should not get rid of

You are missing the point completely!

The coaches have made a mockery of the team state series, plain and simple.  Why should the IHSAA go the extra mile and do the team series if the coaches think its a joke?

You are missing the point completely!

The coaches have made a mockery of the team state series, plain and simple.  Why should the IHSAA go the extra mile and do the team series if the coaches think its a joke?

How have the coaches made a mockery of the tourney?  A few coaches have thought they didn't have a chance and sent some JV guys.  Others have had kids that aren't healthy.  No team regional or state tourney I have been to seemed like a mockery.  I hope you are there tomorrow.

By sending your JV kids to team regional/semi-state and by threatening to not show up, that is making a mockery of the team series.  That simply tells the IHSAA that the wrestling coaches do not think the team series is important. 

I will not be there tomorrow.  I have better things to do like make my kids better for next year.  My wrestlers are more important that watching eight teams I have no connection to.

You, my friend, don't get it.  You are the man behind a great wrestling site without a clue.  Why not get your high school and middle school team together, and come down and see where you want to be?  Yes, you have a small school, but why not set some lofty goals?  Hopefully there will be a class system soon, and then you will be ready. 

Because they would rather do something productive and go to a wrestling tournament and get better for next year instead of sitting on their butts all day long.  They were at state last weekend watching wrestling, now they want to start the trek towards going to state next year. 

If you are taking your team to a tourney, I can respect that.  I know you could have taken some kids to an inexpensive clinic tonight.  Sometimes I feel that you try hard to make a mockery out of the team series.  How many teams have sent JV teams to a Regional?  I know of one.  I know of one other that didn't want to come this year. 

wow dude you are the only  joke involved in indiana high school wrestling.....our team will never in a million years make it to team state so we have better things to do than go watch and support the team state series.....all you do is sit on your internet  high horse and judge and point your finger and you can act like you are somebody important but you said yourself that your kids went last weekend and watched wrestling, if you were half the coach that you believe you are than your kids might have been wrestling instead of watching.......so to steal a line from a friend of mine "SHUT UP UNTIL YOU WIN SOMETHING"

I dont want to get rid of team state...but I did hear at Shelbyville regional two teams did not bring their full squad (injury, resting up for individual state, etc). I am sure there are more stories than just that. I think you will continue to have this problem until team state is moved to a different time than in the middle of individual state series.  I dont want to speak for anyone, but I think in some coaches minds they dont feel they have the fire power to win against a certain team, so why risk injuries or why not rest up a few individuals who are continuing in the individual state tourny? I dont really like that mind set, but I cant say I totally disagree.  Now, if this tourny was held 3/4 of the way through the year, i think you would see full line-ups.  Thats just my opinion.

I dont want to get rid of team state...but I did hear at Shelbyville regional two teams did not bring their full squad (injury, resting up for individual state, etc). I am sure there are more stories than just that. I think you will continue to have this problem until team state is moved to a different time than in the middle of individual state series.  I dont want to speak for anyone, but I think in some coaches minds they dont feel they have the fire power to win against a certain team, so why risk injuries or why not rest up a few individuals who are continuing in the individual state tourny? I dont really like that mind set, but I cant say I totally disagree.  Now, if this tourny was held 3/4 of the way through the year, i think you would see full line-ups.  Thats just my opinion.

There was a thread on here earlier this year where someone posted a proposed new tournament schedule that would have fit the entire team tourney in prior to the individual tourney and it got a lot of support. In fact, that is the way it is done in Pennsylvania, and it seems like people really support both tournaments.

I think instead of going backwards and crowning a "team" champion of 3 good wrestlers, we should work toward making this proposal viable and promoting it at the highest levels.

Plain and simple...Y2 is wrong, he can give all the stats he wants, but the bottom line is.....support all aspects of high school wrestling! Coach Snyder will be there with his team, even though they aren't in it, CUDOS for the CAVEMEN! Y2, practice what you preach, INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING, NOT JUST GARRETT WRESTLING.

There was a thread on here earlier this year where someone posted a proposed new tournament schedule that would have fit the entire team tourney in prior to the individual tourney and it got a lot of support. In fact, that is the way it is done in Pennsylvania, and it seems like people really support both tournaments.

I think instead of going backwards and crowning a "team" champion of 3 good wrestlers, we should work toward making this proposal viable and promoting it at the highest levels.

I know I will preach this theory, until I am proven wrong...I dont know who else brought this up, but I know I did earlier this year in another thread.  Having 16-32 teams....2 day tourny....5-10 dual matches.  The only downfall I found was scheduling issues, with inviting new teams every year.  I am sure someone smarter than me can figure out a way around that obsticle.

First of all, Indiana is very fortunate to have both indiv and team state for high school wrestling. There are a lot of states that dont hold both events so the thought of losing team state will definetely hurt Indiana hs wrestling . Now, I can agree with both sides of the argument here, but I think one of the real points here is just how many teams/ coaches maybe made this so called mockery of IN team state regional matches. My guess, is that is a very low percentage of teams that maybe put some JV wrestlers on the mat for a Team State dual. Certainly, the choice is there to support team state and attend or not support team state. I certainly don't have all the info here and I don't believe the ISHAA is losing money on a event over the last decade that has seen 3000 to 5000 fans attend at Center Grove HS.

Who wants to see a hs wrestling season conclude anyway??? Why???. Team state gives a true team title and something that most IN hs wrestling fans look forward to each wrestling season. So, any thought of losing the Team State Championship would be a loss for IN hs wrestling overall. The Team State is well over 10 years old ,and has a great atmopshere for everybody every single wrestling season. Team state needs to remain in place and hopeully 8 teams will be wrestling at Center Grove next year and numerous seasons for years to come.. Keep Indiana Team State!

The whole Team State problem started in 2003 when Peru showed up to Bellmont at Team Semi-State with their stand out wrestlers not wrestling. That night I went home and wrote my breakthrough discussion board thread titled "Where's The Honor?" Since then there has been teams not proud of showing their team's accomplishments in the Team tourney and showing up with JV wrestlers not even caring to win.

Ok, you make a excellent point there. However, my point is just how many IN hs wrestling teams have disrespected the Team state concept of always trying to win the state dual match and not hold back any wrestlers etc...

My point is that over the last decade, the percentages are very small overall. Plus, its something that the ISHAA doesnt need to hear about in the overall concept for the Team State. I mean im sure just a team or two  didnt change the team state champions such as Mishawauka, EMD, and all the other IN hs teams that won a Team state championship.

Im sure the team state concept has worked very well in both OHIO and MI. Also, I believe the IN HS wrestling has carved out their own wrestling tradition of holding the team state one week after the Individual states.

There is tremendous interest in hs wrestling in Indiana, just check all the postings on this excellent wrestling site.

Indiv State and Team State matches just a part of this excellent wrestling site. I dont think any wrestler whose won a team state title of the history of the tournament could care less if one  team (who probably never made the team state finals) would hold back just one wrestler from competing. I certainly dont see any of the 8 teams holding back wrestler once they arrive at Center Grove on Team State Saturday.

That one team who held back a wrestler to compete in team state was back in 2003..8 yrs ago....but your point is well taken.............

Just a thought.  I like the team state. I would like to see team state rotate around the state to at least three different location, North, Central, South part of the state.  I would like to see some type of class wrestling for team state.  I would like to see a larger attendance at team state so the IHSAA would back off. MY suggestion is to make thre classes for wqrestling. Have one team state at each of the three locations each year. example: class 1 North, class 2 Central, class three South. Next year it would rotate class1 central, 2 south, 3 north. etc....  This would get the fan base of more teams involved and help grow the sport in Indiana. I think more teams would would have a chance to have sucess and that may change the attitude of some about the team series. I know it would be hard to get the IHSAA to do anything but I really think this idea or something like this would would increase the attendance quite a bit. I know I attend as many great wrestling events that are close to me and not making a three and a half  hour trip may convince more fans to attend the events closer to them. It has been shown that this type of an event can be held at a High school so the state would not have to get a huge facility. Any thoughts on this idea?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.