will indiana state university ever have wrestling again?

thefreak104

wouldn't it be great for terre haute wrestlers and fans to have Indiana State University wrestling again? that is another reason terre haute area wrestling is so week compared to evansville, indy, and northwestern schools. we don't have the opportunity around terre haute as other parts of the state offer. if our kids didn't have to commute so far for extra training(collegiate level training like other kids get).  i know isu is broke and are dealing with financial concerns at this time, but wouldn't it be nice?

wouldn't it be great for terre haute wrestlers and fans to have Indiana State University wrestling again? that is another reason terre haute area wrestling is so week compared to evansville, indy, and northwestern schools. we don't have the opportunity around terre haute as other parts of the state offer. if our kids didn't have to commute so far for extra training(collegiate level training like other kids get).   i know isu is broke and are dealing with financial concerns at this time, but wouldn't it be nice?

I understand your concern.  Actually, Terre Haute is probably closer to those opportunities than Evansville.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe there are any wrestling schools in Evansville.  Plenty of school affiliated clubs, but nothing like CIA, Red Cobra, or some of the others.  I think IU is the closest college level wrestling program, and that isn't very close.

Would love to see ISU and Ball State develop their program again, so we have more DI school in state.  But, that is unlikely to happen based on the current college climate.   Not sure where these programs lost there way, but ISU's extra draw from Illinois and Ball States from Ohio should have gave them enough of a pool of talent to compete within a midsize conference.  Since Indiana has several options in the north now I do see a useful need for a DII, DIII, or NAIA program in the southern parts of the state.  If successful it could draw from our state, the growing Kentucky talent, parts of southern Illinois or Ohio.

MattM,

It is a real shame. While I was at ISU had the pleasure of watching Bruce Baumgartner wrestle for free. If I'm not mistaken, it had the strongest collegiate program in the state at the time and recruited pretty much nationally. Bruce was from New Jersey, I think. They had a great 118 lber who was awesome on his feet...Dickman was his name. I think they lost their way when Title IX came along.

MattM,

It is a real shame. While I was at ISU had the pleasure of watching Bruce Baumgartner wrestle for free. If I'm not mistaken, it had the strongest collegiate program in the state at the time and recruited pretty much nationally. Bruce was from New Jersey, I think. They had a great 118 lber who was awesome on his feet...Dickman was his name. I think they lost their way when Title IX came along.

It's kind of scary the number of programs that at one time had wrestling talent who could beat the best in the nation (or even the best internationally), but have since folded due to athletic issues, conferences putting focus on the importance of other big name sports, and Title IX.    

Example would be Jimmy Carr (Olympian before attending college) wrestling at the University of Kentucky (then Alabama).  This should have been a big push to build either program, but the schools let the opportunity slide and the conference agenda caused it to faded away.

Chris Campbell and Mike Niccum (Delta), Jack Effner and Chuck Troiani (TH South), Dave Yeager (Hobart), Jimmy Wallace (Princeton), David Schutter (North Knox), Stanley Graves (Indpls Tech) were some of the successful Indiana wrestlers going through ISU in the early 80's when I was a Sycamore. They recruited some good Wisconsin guys... Bobby Dickman and his younger brother, and Doug Riefstack (sp?), and some others from all over... Illinois, New Jersey and even Minnesota.

Thanks CB...couldn't remember most of the names...recalled Chris because he lived 2 doors down. Have I gone senile or didn't they whip up on Purdue and IU in those days? Seems like Indiana kept one dual close...but Baumgartner decided it with a thud in the end.

I still believe if ISU had a wrestling program the local high schools would be better. i know rose hulman has wrestling but you never hear anything in the paper on news. i understand its up to individual people to find out events thereselves, but everyone hears on the radio when ISU has a football or basketball game. thats what it takes for kids to set and see that setting and accomplishing personal goals can happen. i don't believe that to much of these things happen locally. im talking serious goal and serious goals to accomplish them. a good example would be pj montgomery. he didn't accomplish his goal entirely but he put in the best effort year round to attempt. not to many kids have the mental attitude or physical drive to do these things. and i somewhat blame the communities they live in.

I still believe if ISU had a wrestling program the local high schools would be better. i know rose hulman has wrestling but you never hear anything in the paper on news. i understand its up to individual people to find out events thereselves, but everyone hears on the radio when ISU has a football or basketball game. thats what it takes for kids to set and see that setting and accomplishing personal goals can happen. i don't believe that to much of these things happen locally. im talking serious goal and serious goals to accomplish them. a good example would be pj montgomery. he didn't accomplish his goal entirely but he put in the best effort year round to attempt. not to many kids have the mental attitude or physical drive to do these things. and i somewhat blame the communities they live in.

Rose Hulman lost their program a year or two ago, after Tyler Goble graduated.

Remember, Vigo County (Terre Haute) doesn't have middle school wrestling either.  We have developed a middle school team through our club that is wrestling some matches and going to tournaments.  We have also been told by some schools they wont wrestle us for insurance reasons, because we aren't affiliated through the school system.

we might have wrestled you in our middle school program already. to bad that your kids don't get more opportunity in the schools to wrestle, you would be able to get more kids involved. in my opinion numbers are one of the most important parts of wrestling. kids have to have kids to wrestle in practice. if every one wrestled tsirtsis in practice how good would they become.    i became better by wrestling better wrestlers in practice. small schools don't have that leisure compared to bigger schools. its the bigger schools whom are against classed wrestling and they shouldn't care because they won't really be affected by change. its the small schools whom it will impact mostly.  but about rose hulman i attended only 1 tournament to watch back in the day, no wonder i haven't heard anything for a while. ISU or Rose having wrestling clinincs and week long camps would motivate and help our wrestlers and our kids don't have that opportunity as easily as other communities do.

From another thread:

How can you make the argument that we need to modify the tournament we witnessed this weekend?  Over 1/3 of all of the wrestling schools in IN were represented.

36% of the state champions this year were from schools less than 785 enrollment.  14% were from enrollments less than 600.  I didn't do the math, but this is way disproportionate to the number of students in IN.  ie.  the small schools dominated this tournament proportionately, so let's dispense with the little guy can't compete rigamarole.

Only 1 state champion came from a mega school over 3000.  4 champs came from schools with enrollment in the 1000s.

I understand your point but the statistics don't lie about small schools this year and state championships.  I would be all for classing the team tournament, just don't ruin the amazing thing we have in the individual tournament.

Rose used to have a week long camp, I attended it back in the day. 

Terre Haute would benefit if ISU would offer wrestling.  To comply with Title 9 maybe they could offer a womens team with the olympic weights. 

There are some great athletes in the Terre Haute area and it could be a goldmine if they would offer middle school wrestling.  The Montgomery kid was a product of getting started in thier club, that is a great argument for them to get it going.  I wonder how many of their state qualifers/place winners started wrestling before they entered high school.  They really handicap their kids by not having offical middle school teams. 

I really don't see Indiana State getting wrestling back.  Most people around there don't even want the football team.  

On the other point, it's a shame there isn't middle school wrestling in some areas like Terre Haute (and Fort Wayne).  It's also a shame some schools only give it 5-6 weeks.  There are schools, especially in the Indianapolis area, that have a 3-month season, which is as long as most high schools.  These kids have a lot more experience when they get to high school. The advanced kids are going to get their mat time no matter what, but this extra time really benefits those "fringe" wrestlers.  

wouldn't it be great for terre haute wrestlers and fans to have Indiana State University wrestling again? that is another reason terre haute area wrestling is so week compared to evansville, indy, and northwestern schools. we don't have the opportunity around terre haute as other parts of the state offer. if our kids didn't have to commute so far for extra training(collegiate level training like other kids get).   i know isu is broke and are dealing with financial concerns at this time, but wouldn't it be nice?

When I attended ISU we started a wrestling club for the students that attended  and we had nearly 30+ members. I can remember all the logistics that I had to go through in starting the club and writing the by-laws and constitution and so on.... To answer your question at the Andy Myers gave me an NO due to the fact of the gender equity and title IX. Yes, it would be nice for all the "southern Indiana" schools. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.