weight class changes?

charger.dad

i heard rumblings from down at state this last weekend that moving around the weight classes was being talked about for next year.....i know it was discussed at length this past year but i heard it was shelved and not going to happen.....anyone else know or hear about this?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that is a good idea to get rid of all of the tie-breakers, but I think that a 15 weight class instead of 13 would be the way to go, more kids get varsity experiance that way.  I have never thought about how adding/dropping a weight class would change the scoring.

So you want to water wrestling down more?

In my perfect world.....

13 weights... no need for crazy tie breaker criteria any more... closer to the college weights.

Add all the weights you want but 108 is way to high.  Just look at the # of state placers at 103 that are under weight

or just at weight.  We already have several guys taking a red shirt year just to be a lagit. 103.

Add all the weights you want but 108 is way to high.  Just look at the # of state placers at 103 that are under weight

or just at weight.  We already have several guys taking a red shirt year just to be a lagit. 103.

very good point.....

or just at weight.  We already have several guys taking a red shirt year just to be a legit. 103.

You have to balance that argument with the massive amounts of forfeits at that weight throughout the season.

So you want to water wrestling down more?

A 15th weight class would-

1. Get rid of the stupid tie breakers.  We won three matches on about the ninth criteria.  You would only need one criteria most matches won.

2. Allow you to keep a low weight for the really small kids while at the same time allowing you to get more of your middle wieght/ heavy kids into the line-up, which is what the weight class changes are attempting to effect.

3.  It would water down wrestling a bit, but it is not the same as classing the entire tournament.  You and I both know that.  Im not against having more oppurtunities for wrestlers.  I am against simply changing what it means to be a state qualifier and then thinking that you accomplished something that you truelly didnt.  

You have to balance that argument with the massive amounts of forfeits at that weight throughout the season.

Just because you have some forfeits doesn't mean that the 103 weight class is not needed.

You take away wresting for the smaller guys and you will see wresting decline greatly.

It is not about moving it from 103 to 106.  It is about moving it from 98 to 106.  What is next.

110,  115,  120?  If your argument is you need to go to the average size of say a Junior.  You are going

to have to go to 125 or 130.

Wresting will become just like every other sport.  Where size is the most important factor in success.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I love to watch the 103 class.  Action, Action, Action!

A 15th weight class would-

1. Get rid of the stupid tie breakers.  We won three matches on about the ninth criteria.  You would only need one criteria most matches won.

2. Allow you to keep a low weight for the really small kids while at the same time allowing you to get more of your middle wieght/ heavy kids into the line-up, which is what the weight class changes are attempting to effect.

3.  It would water down wrestling a bit, but it is not the same as classing the entire tournament.  You and I both know that.  Im not against having more oppurtunities for wrestlers.  I am against simply changing what it means to be a state qualifier and then thinking that you accomplished something that you truelly didnt. 

1. Win the match outright

2. We already do that

3. Increasing the number of state qualifiers by 7% will water wrestling down.  Lets not do that because we all know we can't have our sport watered down any more than it is.  You want to water down the team series, now you want to water down the individual series, quit with all the watering down of the sport.  Lets go to 10 weight classes like college or even 5 would be best.

How about we keep the 14 weight classes, and then have an open division, where the teams put their best wrestler in it, doesn't matter about weight. Then we can find that one "true champion" come state time, that would make y2 happy ::sarcasm button::

tried the sarcasm button that some one suggested, didn't work.... argggg hahahahahahaha

The new proposed weights appear to add a couple pounds to every class.  Looking more closely, 135/140 would be consolidated into 138, while the current 189 would be split into 182/195.  We'd be losing a middle weight to gain an upper weight - I'm not sure that's good.  I do like that the current gap between 171 and 189 would be eliminated.

Y2's "one weight class true champion" jive is known in philosophy as a STRAWMAN argument.  You set up a strawman and knock it down.

Class wrestling in Iowa has resulted in chicks qualifying for state with double digit losses.

Y2's "one weight class true champion" jive is known in philosophy as a STRAWMAN argument.  You set up a strawman and knock it down.

yes i know... see that sarcasm button did not work. Next thing you know, he will be proposing that then champion from the previous year should wrestle the champion from the current year to determine the true state champ. And that true state champ keeps wrestling the champion from then on. Heck maybe one day the 2012 champ could wrestle the 2030 champ.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.