Kentucky Results

Jon H

http://www.khsaa.org/wrestling/2011/

Union Co placed 1st in the team competition.

I thought it would be interesting to see how the Kentucky guys who won the Mater Dei Holiday classic placed at their State tournament:

103:  Blackwell (UC) 3rd

112:  B. Ervin (UC) 1st

125:  J. Fahy (Trinity) 1st

130:  Carr (UC) 1st

135:  Hitchings (Trinity) 2nd

140:  Honeycutt (SX) 4th

152:  C. Ervin (UC) 1st - tournament MVP

160:  Jo. Lampe (SX) 1st

Note:  189 Buckman (UC) placed 1st at state but did not compete at the MD classic

I truly believe that both Ervins would win a championship in  Indiana - Caleb Ervin was Doug Welch's only loss this year  6-1.   Fahy would be right there also.  

I believe Caleb would win in Indiana, but Brock is less likely for me.  He is an OUTSTANDING technician, but i think the physicalness of the top 112's here would beat him.  I'd say he would have been 4th in Indiana, depending on his draw for state of course. I had a chance to see Brock wrestle and I was very impressed with him, but I believe we have some of the top 112's in the nation, as is he, so I would love to see them battle it out at scholastic duals coming up.

The top 2 or 3 wrestlers in Kentucky are at the level to be legit state finals placers in Indiana.  After that there seems to be a much bigger drop off.   Indiana is some ways is still behind as a wrestling state, but Kentucky wrestling is just now moving past their "toddler years" in many areas.  I believe at this point some of their other state placers would be decent semi-state talent here, so they are quickly starting to close the talent gap.

http://www.khsaa.org/wrestling/2011/

Union Co placed 1st in the team competition.

I thought it would be interesting to see how the Kentucky guys who won the Mater Dei Holiday classic placed at their State tournament:

103:  Blackwell (UC) 3rd

112:  B. Ervin (UC) 1st

125:  J. Fahy (Trinity) 1st

130:  Carr (UC) 1st

135:  Hitchings (Trinity) 2nd

140:  Honeycutt (SX) 4th

152:  C. Ervin (UC) 1st - tournament MVP

160:  Jo. Lampe (SX) 1st

Note:  189 Buckman (UC) placed 1st at state but did not compete at the MD classic

I truly believe that both Ervins would win a championship in  Indiana - Caleb Ervin was Doug Welch's only loss this year  6-1.   Fahy would be right there also.  

Nice post Jon...I was about ready to make the same one.  I definately agree that that Caleb would have a great shot at winning in Indiana. Brock would be in the money, but he's only a freshman and may not have the physical tools to stack up to our top 4 as they are all juniors.  The Carr boy at 130 looked like a librarian at Mater Dei and then promptly came out and won the tournament as well. They are extremely well coached by, who else, the Ervin brothers... two of the nicest fellows around. Congrats to Union County, Trinity, Kentucky Day, and Saint X... all participants atthe Mater Dei Holiday Classic.

To put things in perspective, that will be Kentucky Country Day's last wrestler for a while now that Hendren is graduating. He was the only one on the team and trained with St. X everyday and traveled with St. X to tournaments. He is a senior and they are shutting the program down. Keaton Thomas (135, UC) placed third after being runner up to Honeycutt at 140 at the MD Classic. Brock Ervin is still undefeated after his 8th and 9th grade seasons, only giving up 2 takedowns all season. Carr, with his glasses and calm demeanor, he is goofy enough to deceive you but when he gets on the mat, he is one of the most skilled and technical wrestlers at the 130 weight class. I can see where the librarian reference came from haha. Buckman (189, UC) tore his ACL at the Harrison 10-way tournament and was told not to wrestle ever again but was persistent and found a doctor out of Indy (thank you for that whoever you were) that cleared him without requiring surgery. Thats why he didnt wrestle at Mater Dei.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.