I will remember last night forever, but it wasnt the wrestling

AJ

I have been to numerous state finals, havent mised one in the last 15 years.  I have seen some great matches, and have witnessed as of last night 3 of my brothers place in the tournament.  But last night I had a moment that will forever be burned in my memory.

I have 2 daughers, 7 and 5.  They have each been to state a few times, but they usually only stay Friday night and then maybe for the semifinals on Saturday.  I always thought it was too much for them to be there all day Saturday after Friday.  This year I decided to have them stay with me and watch the finals.

When the lights turned off and the face off began my daughters behavior quickly became my most favorite memory from a state tournament.   As the 103s were being announced I tried asking them what they thought, and they actually "sshh'd" me.  They were literally on the edge of their seat for the entire face off and neither one ever said a thing.  When over, they stood up for national anthem, and then in almost perfect unison they looked at me and said" daddy, that was the coolest thing ever".  

Then they watched the finals as if they were best friends with each wrestler. They would cheer and yell and stand and clap.  When it was time for us to go all they could talk about was if they could come back and watch it again tomorrow.  When I told them hat we had to wait until next year, they said "ok, can we buy out tickets now".    I believe they are now fans for life!

Just another great experience that wrestling has provided me.  Thank you wrestling.

I've been in north Florida for 3 seasons now and haven't missed the IHSAA State Finals yet!!! When I tell people around here, some of them from the Midwest, about the Championship Round, they are in AWE!!!

My memory is meeting-up with my former wrestlers every year for a nice meal!!!

nice story...hope you got them some good food at conseco as well..good story

they did get some Dippin Dots.. and of course they had to have a state requirement: a shaved ice!!!

I am a 2nd generation Bellmont wrestler.  I wasn't a great wrestler.  But I have always been proud that both my father and I earned a varsity letter for the Braves.  I have a 9 year old son.  I decided when he was born that I would never push him to wrestle as I was.  However, I would embrace any interest that he showed.  In the back of my mind, I have always hoped that he would be a 3rd generation Bellmont Brave.  He has never shown much interest in wrestling.  He went to matches when my grandfather was alive.  But, never said the words "Dad I want to wrestle."  This week he has talked a lot about wreslting.  I am guessing that is because some of his 3rd grade classmates are talking.  We watched wrestling all weekend on Broadcast Sports and IHSAA.  He was excited during the face-offs and witnessed as I had goose bumps on my arms as soon as the lights went off on the computer.  He even stayed home and gave me text message updates for the first 3 final matches while I had to run an errand.  This may sound stupid to some of you.  But, I am so excited that the excitement of state has gotten a hold of him without me pushing it on him.  We will be there in person next year!  He is already looking forward to it.

My 5 month old daughter was there and usually is in bed around 8 o'clock every night. I text my mom around 9 to see if she was asleep, and she said "nope, she is wide awake!" I thought to myself she obviously is in love with the sport already! Haha gotta love the IHSAA State Finals! The best and most exciting state finals out of all sports!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.