Stevenson vs Sliga

Devils27

wouldn't really call it a butt-whippin....big scramble in the 1st period....looked like sliga had him onhis back, rolled through, Stevenson nearly pinned him. In fact, the ref slapped the mat,but it was after thebuzzer

Stevenson a little too strong and physical for Sliga...not a shocker

I was curious because there were a lot of people saying Sliga would be the next best wrestler in Indiana.  I feel like the fact that he is a sophmore wrestling in an upper weight could ahev played a huge factor.  

Stevenson pretty much controlled the match...  Yes had a take down into a near and really pinned him the call was questionable.

Sliga is a takedown artist and very good though. 

However there was a knucklehead in an earlier post that said Sliga would go down as possibly the best Indiana wrestler of all time ??  Just a slight exageration ;)

ok i know i am a little biased but i feel like the match was extremely close and really could have gone either way. Sliga was deep on a shot and almost had stevenson taken down in the first then it went to a scramble where stevenson was actually pinned for a couple of seconds. Somehow eventually stevenson landed on top and had sliga on his back. After the first period stevnson was up 5-0 and knew he didnt have to anything the rest of the match. For the last four minutes of the match sliga near had 2 takedowns, but stevenson just wrestled a very defensive match. Stevenson took one half shot the whole match but mainly just was content with sitting on the lead from the first perioid and not doing anything else. Then somehow in the second period stevenson got another point for sliga fleeing the mat which was one of the most questionable calls of the day... but congrats to stevenson for the great career i wish him the best of luck at U of I.

he did a good job of keeping his composure after getting pinned.  even if it was after the buzzer, it would be hard to keep it together after you  know that you just got pinned and that you are lucky to still be wrestling.  i was pulling for stevensen, but only because it was a sr. versus a soph.

I was curious because there were a lot of people saying Sliga would be the next best wrestler in Indiana.  I feel like the fact that he is a sophmore wrestling in an upper weight could ahev played a huge factor.  

Neal Molloy did a fine job as a Super Soph in a mid weight typically dominated by upper classmen.

Neal Molloy did a fine job as a Super Soph in a mid weight typically dominated by upper classmen.

130 was pretty weak this year compared to years past.  189 was stacked, with two nationally ranked wrestlers not even taking home the title.  Both sophomores are studs though.

Sliga is very impressive heres a guy that comes in as a True 14 year old Freshman and places 3rd at State in a weight that is always dominated by 18-19 men. Theres a lot of difference in strength between a guy thats 4 or 5 years older especially around these years. He takes 3rd two years in a row  and will be everyones pick to win State his next two years. I would definitley say that this young man is on the path to be on of the best wrestlers to ever come through the state of Indiana. Is he going to be a 4x State Champion obviously not, then again show me one guy in the state who has placed top 3 their freshman and sophmore years past 160lb weight class.

Not necessarily true. At 130 last year, there were 3 undefeated wrestlers @ Conseco (Jackson, Mullins, Tsirtsis), all sophomores and the other 13 were seniors, if memory serves me correctly.  The underclassmen were 1,2,3 on the podium.

MOGILLIS-

Um, James Brimm, Eville Central. I'm sure there are many others.

(btw, Brimm was also a freestlye dynamo and ended up getting 3rd again as a Junior and didn't win it until his last year so you never know. He also might have gotten 4th his freshman year but you get my point.)

MOGILLIS-

Um, James Brimm, Eville Central. I'm sure there are many others.

(btw, Brimm was also a freestlye dynamo and ended up getting 3rd again as a Junior and didn't win it until his last year so you never know. He also might have gotten 4th his freshman year but you get my point.)

Brimm was 4th as a freshman, 3rd as a soph., 6th as a junior, before winning as a senior.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.